Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Home Made ?25 Panniers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:07 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Home Made £25 Panniers Reply with quote

So after planning my 5000 mile trip around France and Spain i realised i would need a large set of panniers to cargo my equipment around.

I've been looking at all types of panniers. Hard and fabric types.

I decided the fabric type panniers would be no good for the two months i would be touring. I needed something strong, waterproof and robust.

So set to look around for a set of hard case type panniers, the detachable ones you see on BMW's and was completely shocked at the prices i was seeing. £400-£600 for a set of what are basically two styled suitcases and a rail? No thank you, not when my bike cost almost that price.

Anyway i set about building my own.

I went to various places to first find containers of the right size. Something strong, not too wide, and not to deep so that it would touch the exhaust. I looked at coolers (to wide) ammo boxes (To heavy) and other storage boxes. I ended up finding some perfect storage boxes in staples for £9 a peice. Only problem was that they where transparent.

https://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5712/image189.jpg
https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4248/image190j.jpg

After finding the correct boxes, painting and varnishing them i needed to find a way to fix them onto the bike.

My original plan was to reinforce the inside of the box with a sheet of aluminium and bolting them to the rear frame which failed miserably since the frame was to low and it would mean they could also not easily be removed.

I instead went for the simple method and ended up fixing the two boxes together with some strong oak planks, which i took off an old deck chair. I also reinforced the underside of the lids with more oak instead of using bolts that would have ripped through the plasic lids with the weight.
https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6605/p1000213.jpg
https://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3350/p1000212.jpg

I then just tidied it all up by placing some imitation leather which i used to resurface the seat of my nsr. A few handles were placed on either side to provide a place to attach budgies to hold extra baggage.

https://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1716/p1000210.jpg
https://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6421/p1000211.jpg
Added some reflectors which cost £1 for 10.
https://img230.imageshack.us/img230/305/p1000214.jpg
https://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8396/p1000215g.jpg
https://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6584/p1000216.jpg
https://img171.imageshack.us/img171/715/p1000217.jpg

And yes i do realise they are two cheap plastic boxes strapped to a bike but they did only cost around £25 and where made in a day Smile

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:04 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

One thing though..

I would find some method of locking the lids to the bottoms. With the weight of the contents of the boxes and the constant bouncing around on the road, the clasps won't last long. All the weight is on two flimsy plastic handles. Thumbs Up

ToGGoT
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:47 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

I looked through a lot of ammo boxes with the same sort of thing in mind for my bike - in the end our tour was cancelled, so i pinched my brothers old saddle bags.

My only concerns would be security, obviously, and also, how solid are those boxes? Would they break/shatter if you dropped the bike on them?

Otherwise, thanks for the pics!

ToGGoT

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:37 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good i think.
what you could have done is paint them silver then glue a few boltheads on them so they looked like heavy duty metal. lol.
you could always fill them with aload of heavy junk and then go for a quick ride on a bumpy road to see if they hold up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:51 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your exhaust touching one of the panniers at the end? If so I'd be worried about melting a hole in them. I am also concerned about the boxes becoming dislodged from the lids whilst riding ans someone mentioned.

Apart from that, I really admire your ingenuity! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:10 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already thought about some of the things mentioned. The part of the exhaust that does touch does not get hot enough to melt the plastic. I drove around yesterday with the boxes fully loaded for an hour and the exhaust was barley warm. The tip and link pipe do get very hot but they don't make contact.

As for strength the boxes are very strong. Im not sure if they would shatter there quite bendy plastic. but if you crashed or dropped the bike im sure they would most likely break with enough force.

The passenger footpegs when folded in also seem to act like an additional lock. When folded in they push the boxes upwards which makes it impossible to remove them even with the lid handles down. I will however have them rachet tied on for extra security.

Oh and i forgot the mention. When you remove the panniers. They also double as a bench Smile

Last edited by Raf on 11:17 - 25 Jun 2009; edited 1 time in total

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the camera sticker on the back of the bike! lol. Laughing

Wonder if they're more likely to pull you with that on though?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:

Probably as one of our drivers had it on his car and was pulled and told to remove it as it is classed as offensive.

Bit of a rozzer magnet on there and asking to be stopped with it on IMO.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:04 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
beanfeast wrote:

Probably...our drivers...was pulled and told to remove it as it is classed as offensive. ...

Confused offensive?, to whom exactly?
Well, that's the question I'd be asking.

Would have an valid argument if it said 'Police = Bastards'*.
However, shows a camera symbol, which is an inanimate object incapable of feelings or offence.

Go on, convince me a jury of your peers would agree that's offensive.
For some other camera signs see ABD site (+ here - buy one ready made here).

Thumbs Up Wink

To the OP, I applaud your ingenuity Clapping

* for the record this is not true. I'm told quite a few actually do know who their fathers are!

Last edited by map on 12:17 - 25 Jun 2009; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:05 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
beanfeast wrote:

Probably as one of our drivers had it on his car and was pulled and told to remove it as it is classed as offensive.

Bit of a rozzer magnet on there and asking to be stopped with it on IMO.

Yeah il only have the panniers on when im leaving for France so i don't think the french cops will understand what i means anyway. Worst comes to worse i will just remove it. I just thought they looked a bit plain and needed a sticker or something Smile

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:01 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

arbit3r wrote:
Oh and i forgot the mention. When you remove the panniers. They also double as a bench Smile

hahaha awesome!! you could make a top box the same so when you stop you can put them all in a line and make a bed.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

However, shows a camera symbol, which is an inanimate object incapable of feelings or offence.

I agree, but at the time we thought probably mums wouldn't want there Kids reading it out loud then asking what does it mean. Couldn't think of any other reason.

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:27 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
map wrote:

I agree, but at the time we thought probably mums wouldn't want there Kids reading it out loud then asking what does it mean. Couldn't think of any other reason.

Im sure they see far worse things on TV and the Internet Smile Tbh if they can read and correctly pronounce it they probably already know what it means..

"Bastard: The illegitimate offspring of unmarried parents"

blamchez
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:03 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey brilliant Blue Peter style panniers I'm very impressed and will attempt something of a similar style soon.

As people have already commented, I would maybe secure each box with a strap just incase you hit a stray badger on your travels!

50cc honda ---> CG125 ---> 125cc jap scooter ---> NSR125 ---> NC30 ---> CB500 ---> ZX7R

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like them. Looks too easy for the retaining handle to fail IMO and that could mean disaster to anyone following.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

arbit3r wrote:
I've already thought about some of the things mentioned. The part of the exhaust that does touch does not get hot enough to melt the plastic. I drove around yesterday with the boxes fully loaded for an hour and the exhaust was barley warm. The tip and link pipe do get very hot but they don't make contact.

I would wonder if due to their areodynamic effect if it would pull the hot exhaust gasses back up to the case.
While the end of the can may not get hot on a 1 hour run. How will it fair on a run across france in hot weather.
Maybe worthwhile sticking some heat sheilding tape on the underside/back bit near the exhaust...
Last thing you would want to find is a problem while on holiday. Thumbs Up

No problem with the camera sign, its the wording underneath that causes the problem.
Perhaps cut the writing off and paint a red line through the camera... Same effect, less chance of a tug.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but it won't last 5 mins and it looks gash. Confused One fall on the trip and your panniers are f*cked.

10/10 for effort though.

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:50 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys.

flip wrote:
Sorry, but it won't last 5 mins and it looks gash. Confused One fall on the trip and your panniers are f*cked.

10/10 for effort though.

I've been driving around with them all week with all my gear. No problems so far. As for looks.. Well if i wanted them to look good i would have spent £500 on some proper ones. If you can make something nicer for £25 in a day then hats down to you. There just there to hold my gear. Nothing more. And if dropped. Yes most likely they will be fucked.

Quote:
I don't like them. Looks too easy for the retaining handle to fail IMO and that could mean disaster to anyone following.

Well there not too everyones taste. Yes they are two plastic boxes, and yes they are cheap but they work! The retaining handle was a huge concern when i found the boxes. I looked at various other boxes with much more secure locks but they were all the wrong dimensions. What i currently do it wrap a ratchet tie verticality through the top handles around the box. They support 500kg each and when tied on there is no chance in them coming off.

Anyway im going to be touring for two months so if they do come back in one piece i will be impressed. If something does happen then i will bite the bullet and buy some cheap fabric panniers.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What i currently do it wrap a ratchet tie verticality through the top handles around the box. They support 500kg each and when tied on there is no chance in them coming off.

See you never said that. With securing straps they look like a good idea.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nipedley
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he did Very Happy

arbit3r wrote:
The passenger footpegs when folded in also seem to act like an additional lock. When folded in they push the boxes upwards which makes it impossible to remove them even with the lid handles down. I will however have them rachet tied on for extra security.

Great idea chap, I've been looking for some panniers myself but the prices put me off Thumbs Down If I could make some that ended up looking anywhere near as good as that I know I would!

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

arbit3r wrote:
And if dropped. Yes most likely they will be fucked

I'm now wondering if my soft luggage is actually much stronger. Laughing

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Re: Home Made £25 Panniers Reply with quote

arbit3r wrote:

And yes i do realise they are two cheap plastic boxes strapped to a bike but they did only cost around £25 and where made in a day Smile

Wotcha.

Ah - the expensive £25 panniers eh ?

Even cheaper hard luggage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:16 - 28 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

with ratchet straps in place to stop the bottom bits falling out, they could work quite well

one other possible problem, is uv light can make plastic brittle, if its not designed to sit out in the sunlight, the paint may protect it.

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:07 - 28 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, just a shame they are made from plastic Karma

Raf
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
arbit3r wrote:
And if dropped. Yes most likely they will be fucked

I'm now wondering if my soft luggage is actually much stronger. Laughing

Yeah im sure they are. But that's just because your a fantastic guy. Your luggage is great and mine is shit i get the point!

Quote:
Actually he did

Cheers Nipedley.

Last edited by Raf on 12:44 - 28 Jun 2009; edited 2 times in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2