Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bit of Advice!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

CrazyPassenge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Bit of Advice! Reply with quote

Hi im just posting to ask for a little advice, at the moment im looking for a 125 for which i can have when im 17. I dont really want a 2t 125, as i dont want all the 'revv-ing' etc. Ive had a slight go on my uncles RS125, and it was too much hard work!

Anyway im after a 4t 125, so being the 'obvious' choice i had a look into the Honda CBR125, which is very nice etc! But then today ive been looking 'for the first time' at the super-moto type bikes! Ive not really been into them before now, but they seem a nice ride, as they look 'rugg-id' comfy and off-road but they still grip and ride well on the road!

What im asking is if anyone can tell me a little and give me some advice on having/riding/buying a 4t super-moto! Are they a good bike for a 'learner' first time 125 rider? Are they easy to ride etc? And also what speeds am i looking at, as they are a 4t and going back to the CBR125 they do 70-80mph!

Thanks, sorry about the long thread! Much apreciated, rgrds Adam! Wink

CrazyPassenge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:53 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ........... Confused

Please, rgrds Adam!

jcolley1364
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:12 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate has a supermoto and loves it says it good fun and easy to ride but never tried my self
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2t's dont have to be revved too much. If going for a 4t then look at the Honda XLR125 or a Yamaha XT125 ?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine: https://www.bikepics.com/members/smotomz/03mz125sm/

It does a genuine 80 MPH and will pull stoppies with ease. Not had a problem with it yet. Sticks like sick to a blanket as it uses conventional road bike tyres, suspension is simple but very effective. Uses MZ's 4 valve, dohc 4t 125 motor with the absolute max 15 BHP you are allowed on a cbt at 17, it puts more horepower through the rear wheel than the CBR 125 produces at the crank... Runs through a six speed box. Peg down is easily accomplished and it is actually quite comfy to ride, the seat is nice and cushy (for a supermoto) and the riding position is nice and upright, good for learners to see over cars etc. in front.

I got it for £600 as it was mistreated by it's previous owners, i may be interested in selling it soon as I am looking around for a DRZ-400 SM. I need to pass my test first though, obviously.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:06 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those MZ motards are nicely finished wee bikes. I had a good look a them when I was getting my bigger MZ, lots of flash cycle parts on them and the overall finish is very good (lots of stainless fittings and powdercoating). Even the plastics are the sort that bend rather than shatter when they hit the ground.

I was speaking to one of the guys in the workshop and he reckoned they were originally a 160cc bike which has been sleeved down to 125cc (in such a way as it would be almost impossible to take it back out again). As such, the motor will be operating under a lot less stress than it was designed for and should be ultra reliable.

Supermotos make good learner bikes, for one thing the handling is very forgiving of mistakes, you can get away with changing lines mid-corner and panic braking in ways that would have you off a more conventional road bike. For another thing, they are big, they have a lot of road presence which discourages car drivers from taking the piss and gives you much better visability.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are built like a truck. As such, they are not the lightest thing on 2 wheels, about 130 kilos, and the lack of USD forks is a shame, specially on something that is nearly 3k new. But hey, I don't miss them when I am riding.

Ksport do kits to take the motor back out to 150cc, upjet the carb, adjust the gearing and swap the exhaust (the stock is very good, only about 1/4 horse down on an aftermarket, but it weighs a ton!) so with about a grand you could get around 21 Bhp out of it. Is perfectly alright as it is though, the best 125 4t fun machine i reckon.

About the plastics, very tough and flexible. Mine was dropped at about 30 MPH by the previous owner and it only cracked the plastics in 2 places (really odd places too Confused ) That was the only damage along with the headlight fairing which disappeared. Back to full glory now though, thinking of a respray on the panels actually.

CrazyPassenge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:24 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info guys! Thumbs Up

Since then ive gone down to my 'local' Yamaha dealer, and have gone for the DT125X Cool
Im going down to buy it in a month or so (when im 17) cant wait to pick her up Cool Laughing

I love the DT with it being a 2t, but with it not being a 'revvy' 2t (re-stricted) but then also it gives me the option of de-restricting it when ive got a bit better on it Wink

Cheers, rgrds Adam!!

fastandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:19 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: re bikes Reply with quote

rs125 a crackin wee bike as long as all you do is derestrict them,nothing else dont need pipe filter etc,last one i had was deresrticted,nothin else was easy to ride and showed 110 on the speedo a few times and very reliable!anybody says their not just has a badly built engine or cheap 2 stroke,i run all my 2strokes on castrol a747!

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:45 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post it 4 months old and in his last post he stated he was getting a dt125x. Why bother replying? Confused

CrazyPassenge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:03 - 18 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRX Steve wrote:
This post it 4 months old and in his last post he stated he was getting a dt125x. Why bother replying? Confused

Laughing True!

But in the end i got myself a Derbi GPR125 Nude, Cool

Very nice bike, and much much easyer to derestrict than a dt. All the derbi is a 15amp fuse, and away you go 85mph Razz

lol, but saying that im soon to take my test so even the derbi will be old news! 400 here i come Cool

(mines black btw)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1