Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Super motos

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Offroad & Supermoto by Korn (15 Jun 2006 - 13:56)
View previous topic : View next topic  

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Super motos Reply with quote

Hi.

Im thinking about getting a SuperMoto for my next bike, as I would like to learn to wheelie properly, and these bikes are a bit less nasty to flip at 30mph Smile

Anyway I was wondering what would be a reliable, but quick! ( lol, is there such a thing? ) Super? I want a pretty big engine, like a 350 or 400 or somthing ( not a 600, yet )

Any suggestions? since I dont really know about Super Moto's that much.

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:24 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you got the road going Ktm's 450 and 640

Me personally will be going for a CRF450, all out supermoto with gold rims, no lights etc, can't beat it for looks.

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard KTM's can be unreliable but they are certainly good for wheelies. It was an LC4 and thats the only moto i've had a go on so can't tell you how it compares to the Honda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ-400sm if you don't want something too mad, and it won't blow up every 5,000 miles. I watched one do 0-60 in 3.7 seconds in a video to, so they ain't that slow. And if you want to practice wheelies... Well, I got the smaller 350 enduro version and that tries to hit you in the face with the mudguard in first and second.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-DRZ400S-DRZ-Supermoto_W0QQitemZ4648468419QQcategoryZ9808QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 13:47 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooling

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:55 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them Drz's are so nice. Just sucks that short arse me can hardly sit on em Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 14:11 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unreliable KTM? Are you sure? I thought they were extremely realiable, what with the Paris-Dakar test bed.

I couldn't live with a KTM Duke as primary transport, a KTM Superduke mind......

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
An unreliable KTM? Are you sure? I thought they were extremely realiable, what with the Paris-Dakar test bed.

I couldn't live with a KTM Duke as primary transport, a KTM Superduke mind......

I'm not sure no, its just something i've heard and i can't guarantee the source is correct.

He does own race spec KTM's though and i'm fairly sure the have a short service schedule on them, so it maybe the case hes not maintaining them properly

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A top of the range, race spec KTM will need an oil change every 150-200 miles and a rebuild every 5,000 miles, iirc.

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
A top of the range, race spec KTM will need an oil change every 150-200 miles and a rebuild every 5,000 miles, iirc.

Ouch Shocked

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats being raced though, I'm sure it is much better than that when used normally.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:31 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Re: Super motos Reply with quote

GearboxGeezer wrote:
Hi.

Im thinking about getting a SuperMoto for my next bike, as I would like to learn to wheelie properly, and these bikes are a bit less nasty to flip at 30mph Smile

Anyway I was wondering what would be a reliable, but quick! ( lol, is there such a thing? ) Super? I want a pretty big engine, like a 350 or 400 or somthing ( not a 600, yet )

Note that a mx based 400-450cc engine may well be a lot more powerful than a 600cc trail/enduro based supermoto.

Even the maximum power on a tuned competition spec mx engine isn't that much for road use.

For wheelies supermotos are ok, though I wouldn't be spending a lot of money to get a decent supermoto just for that purpose.
Personally, I'd just go for something like an older 600cc enduro bike for road use.

In the end, supermotos have to be ridden fairly well if you want to quick. A sports bike will usually go quick a lot easier, in my opinion.
Reliable supermotos usually aren't that 'super' they weigh a fair bit more and are more of 'commutermotos' - in the end, if you want an ultra-light race performance motor, you're going to have race-service intervals as well.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extreme would be an Aprilia svx motard. 450 twin, good for 70 horsepower at about 14,000 RPM. Quite a bit of torque, and a wet weight of about 115kg. Very expensive, and nigh on impossible to use on the road.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Very expensive, and nigh on impossible to use on the road.

Not sure it would be too hard to use on the road compared to other competition spec motos, a bit heavy compared to them, but not enough to really matter on the road.
Price and parts are definitely not so good points.

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has bought a '99 CR500 with GSXR400 wheels in it and that is one hell of a beast, however hes done 200 miles on it and its blown up already!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:
Very expensive, and nigh on impossible to use on the road.

Not sure it would be too hard to use on the road compared to other competition spec motos, a bit heavy compared to them, but not enough to really matter on the road.
Price and parts are definitely not so good points.

I was referring to the fact that they need oil changes every 100-150 miles irrespective of use and a rebuild every 5,000 km

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:48 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fair enough then, my bad.

Same with most comeptition spec supermotos though (ie the ones that actually /are/ super Smile ).

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:22 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
DRZ-400sm if you don't want something too mad, and it won't blow up every 5,000 miles.

Il second that, they have a fantastic engine, may not be the fastest but really reliable. Have basically the same engine in my quad and it will power wheelie all day long.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id have a Honda FMX650. It is about the same price as the DRZ, it looks much nicer, and although it's wheezy engine is only making 33bhp or so std, it can fairly easily be tuned back up to the 43bhp or the Dominator where the lump comes from. After that a lumpy cam, decent pipe and a re-jetted carb should push you close to 50bhp! Thats not bad for an old air cooled 650, thats smooth and has good manners, and longish service intervals.

IMO the so called Commuter moto's are the onlyreal option for every day road riders that need a reliable and easy to live with single cyl machine!

I do think tho that a well ridden 50bhp bike, will be more than a match for alot of wobbly and unconfident 100bhp sports 600 riders. and their bikes.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them on a tight and twisty track maybe.

FostersMonste...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:18 - 22 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for an XT660X I got one straight after a dt125, easy to wheelie, lots of torque

dougon2wheels
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:27 - 06 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdr 250,first of the supermoto's,cheap,fast(45 bhp stock,upto 55+ with a good tune),enormous fun and reasonably reliable.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:09 - 07 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a 600/650. It isn't like a 600 sports bike. They are making 60bhp at most, you take massive liberties with the handling and get away with it (front brake midway round a corner anyone? On a supermoto, you turn-in tighter). They aren't going to flip over at a touch of the throttle.

The 400 enduro based ones are actually more silly than the 600s on the whole, they are a hell of a lot lighter and more focused, as well as having rediculously short service intervals on some of them.

On a 600 or 650, you wont be going quite as silly but you will be able to travel some distance without knocking the bikes pan in.

I had one of the MZ motards which have the Yamaha XTZ660 motor in. The MZ ones are pretty tricky to wheelie as they are quite front heavy but the suspension on them is mind boggling (12" on each end, multi-adjustable). I only wheelied mine once, I decided I was WAY to far up off the ground and didn't do it again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1