Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Grimsby Kawasaki any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Grimsby Kawasaki any good? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any dealings with Robspeed Motorcycles Ltd in Grimsby?

My nearest Kawasaki dealer is Jack Machin Motorcycles in Lincoln but my experience with them for my first service was terrible so i'm not going back there again.

My next nearest dealer is in Grimsby (37 miles away) and i'm 25 miles or so off my next service so i hope they are a good dealer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

crazymotorbik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:04 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live just outside of Grimsby and use Robspeed for all my parts, servicing etc.

Its a good bike shop, loads of stuff and it all seems fairly priced.

The clothing range is one of the best i've seen around Lincolnshire.

You can't really go wrong with the service. Give them a try.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:06 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment about Robspeed but if you're stuck there's 5-Ways, 17-19 Walton Street in Hull (near the new KC football/rugby stadium).

Have heard good things about them for parts, clothes, etc. but don't have info on the servicing side. Can ask to find out more, from friends who live local, if you need it thought.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what issues did u have at Matchin's?

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Can't comment about Robspeed but if you're stuck there's 5-Ways, 17-19 Walton Street in Hull (near the new KC football/rugby stadium).

Have heard good things about them for parts, clothes, etc. but don't have info on the servicing side. Can ask to find out more, from friends who live local, if you need it thought.

Thumbs Up

Thanks map, but 5-Ways is 72 miles from me Shocked and i don't want to stray too far over that 4000 mile service mark. I found their website though and it certainly looks like a professional setup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymotorbiker wrote:
I live just outside of Grimsby and use Robspeed for all my parts, servicing etc.

Thats good to hear, thanks crazymotorbiker, out of curiosity have you had a bike serviced there yourself? if so what was it?

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
Out of interest, what issues did u have at Matchin's?

I've not liked Jack Machin for a long time Cillit. It goes back a long time, it started when i had my first Kawasaki which was a KR1S, i took it for a service there and it blew up a few days later. My old mans mate was a Honda mechanic and he checked it over and took it back for me and whatever happened they fixed it for free.

My second Kawasaki was a ZXR750H2, they changed the fork seals on it for me and it didn't handle right afterwards so i took it to Andy Machins for him to check it out and he did them again for free and just asked me to use him again (he was just starting out on his own then). So i vowed never to use Jack Machins again!

My ZX7R was looked after by Andy Machins for the four years i ran it with no problems at all. I would take the ZX10R there if i could.

When looking at new bikes after i crashed the 7R i paid a visit to Jacks to check out the 10R's and his sales technique was diabolical and no test ride was offered. I couldn't get him to budge on the price or throw anything in or get a 0% deal. So i went searching on the net and finally bought my bike with a reduced price alarm, free WP steering damper and 0% finance from Newcastle Kawasaki.

I ended up leaving about 20 seconds walk from Jacks just as the first service was due on my new 10R and thought what the hell, i'll wheel it round the corner and book it in, Jack wasn't there so things went ok but he was there when i went to pick it up. He remembered me and seemed p*ssed off that i didn't buy one from him and called me a liar when i told him about the deal that i got from Newcastle Kawasaki.

He was very rude and will not be getting any business off me again!! Twisted Evil

I've had no problems with the bike since they serviced it, but apparently for the 600 mile service all thats needed is an oil and filter change at a cost of £110 Shocked

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:31 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
map wrote:
...there's 5-Ways, 17-19 Walton Street in Hull (near the new KC football/rugby stadium)...
...but 5-Ways is 72 miles from me Shocked...

Shocked I just thought if you was going across to Grimsby from Lincoln area then up the A15, over the bridge and to Hull wouldn't be much further. Checked roughly on Autoroute, Robspeed is about 38 miles and 5-Ways 44 miles from Lincoln Confused

If you want me to ask for any info on 5-ways let me know Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, don't live in Lincoln anymore, i've moved to Tattershall

(mental note to self - update location in profile)

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a few reports of people not being impressed at Machins.

I've used them for my last three bikes and although not being blown away by their customer service, I get on quite well with them all.

They do seem to be one of the more successful of Lincoln's dealers though.

crazymotorbik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:38 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats good to hear, thanks crazymotorbiker, out of curiosity have you had a bike serviced there yourself? if so what was it?

Hey,

I haven't been for a while. Basically i've had no bike that warrants a service!!

The last bike i took for a service was my RXS 100. Had loads of problems and they sorted it for £15. It ran absolutley perfectly after that.

I also had my first 50 rebuilt for £100 including parts and labour (I know thats not service related Very Happy ) and again they did a brilliant job.

I was quoted £180 for full service on my GPZ400R. Thats shimming, tuning, carb balancing and all the rest of the things they do. Thats the cheapest quote i've had around here for a service.
I'm definetly taking my bike there for service though. I have alot of confidence in the place. The staff are friendly and they all know what they are talking about. Unlike many motorbike shops in GRIMsby....

I say big Thumbs Up to Robspeed.

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
I've heard a few reports of people not being impressed at Machins.

I've used them for my last three bikes and although not being blown away by their customer service, I get on quite well with them all.

They do seem to be one of the more successful of Lincoln's dealers though.

Some people i know have used them for years with no problems, but me and a few others i know have had problems, i put it down to a personality clash between us and Jack Machin himself (hes a tw*t and we're not Razz )

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymotorbiker wrote:
Quote:

Hey,

I haven't been for a while. Basically i've had no bike that warrants a service!!

The last bike i took for a service was my RXS 100. Had loads of problems and they sorted it for £15. It ran absolutley perfectly after that.

I also had my first 50 rebuilt for £100 including parts and labour (I know thats not service related Very Happy ) and again they did a brilliant job.

I was quoted £180 for full service on my GPZ400R. Thats shimming, tuning, carb balancing and all the rest of the things they do. Thats the cheapest quote i've had around here for a service.
I'm definetly taking my bike there for service though. I have alot of confidence in the place. The staff are friendly and they all know what they are talking about. Unlike many motorbike shops in GRIMsby....

I say big Thumbs Up to Robspeed.

Thats sealed the deal for me, i'll give them a try, thanks crazy Thumbs Up

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Robspeed for a service, but I have for parts and just bits and bobs.

Robspeed is my closest dealer so maybe thats the reason I keep going back. I have got nothing bad to say about it. The lads there are a nice pleasent bunch. Thumbs Up

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymotorbiker wrote:

Is there any other bike shops in Grimsby. Used to come over a lot to look at riossi and robspeed but since riossi shut, I have hardly been there.

As for cheap clothing, have you tried Phantom at Barton, and gear change in scunthorpe. Smile Thumbs Up

crazymotorbik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:14 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any other bike shops in Grimsby.

Theres a few little ones, which i have personally never used, and then theres the Honda garage, Wheels.
That place is absolutely naff. The service is crap and they can't get parts for toffee. It used to be really good for parts, but then the parts guy moved to Robspeed.

If you ever need parts go to Robpseed and ask for Malcolm. One of the best parts guys in the area Thumbs Up

Quote:
As for cheap clothing, have you tried Phantom at Barton, and gear change in scunthorpe.

Hmmm i need some new boots and a new pair of gloves. I recon i'll have a look round there when i'm on me travels.

Cheers,
Shaun

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the bike serviced at Robspeeds yesterday and i was impressed with the place.

The customer service was spot on, they actually did perform the service on the bike by the book (which is rare IMO) and i got to test ride a few bikes

I would definitely recommend the place Thumbs Up

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you get to ride?

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
What did you get to ride?

an 06 ZX10R to compare it against mine, an 06 ZX6R and an 06 ZRX1200R Razz

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you make of the new one then?

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
What did you make of the new one then?

Slower Confused

They seem to have tamed the low down grunt and the mid range, apparently the 04/05 models were too scary, although it still has a barking mad top end rush beyond 9 grand.

The throttle seems less snatchy than mine, probably due to there not being as much power available, so its easier and smoother to ride.

The suspension feels a bit more refined, not as harsh as mine, but the turn in felt a lot slower (comparing what mine was like on standard settings and tyres to the new one which obviously is). It also felt a bit heavier, but if memory serves me correct, i think it is.

So all in all it was a bit dissapointing, its ugly as sin, harder work to chuck about and feels slower until the high revs.

On the other hand the ZRX was great fun to ride, completely bonkers, i'd have one for the grin factor alone Razz

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
On the other hand the ZRX was great fun to ride, completely bonkers, i'd have one for the grin factor alone Razz

But when you're a bit older eh! Wink

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Dark wrote:

But when you're a bit older eh! Wink

When i could afford both Wink

JDP
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:54 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just bought my 636 from them and have to say they were a class act all the way. Well looked after and very friendly. Got a test ride with no snobbery and questions asked.

I agree with the machin comments and his brothers just as big a knob head as he is !!!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1