BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ktm500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 24 Aug 2006    Post subject: ktm500 Reply with quote

I have been offered one at a realy cheap price. What i want to know is when were the last ones made google doesnt seem to throw much back info wise. Anyones experiances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 25 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about a 2 stroke KTM or a 4 stroke? The 500 2strokes were made until the early 90's i think. They were MX and Enduro bikes, and like my CCM500 they have a LHS kickstart (a right pain on a 500!). They were supposed to be pretty powerful and pretty scary too! The problem with bigger engined KTM's of this period (mid 80's-early 90's), is that iv'e heard that parts are very hard to get hold of if anything goes wrong. I nearly bid on a KTM 500 on Ebay, but this factor put me off. Ive now brought a CCM/Can Am 500 enduro, which is another old and rare 500cc 2 stroke engined bike, but it has a Rotax air cooled motor, which im told spares are still available for, so i took a chance.

If you get it and it's a good runner then great, but if it needs work or has engine problems id walk away, unless you know of a source of parts for it, which i think could be quite hard to find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 25 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See im not entirely sure they guy supposadly races. And after abit more of a thorough look i think it may be the 4 stroke. It has supposadly been chucked aside as the swingarm is fubar as he was side swiped.

chad1965
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:35 - 25 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on my mates 500 two stroke around 8 years ago and flipped it in third gear! They're very torquey. Not for the faint hearted or inexperienced rider IMHO.It was a nice bike though,great fun and well equipped.It had white power running gear on it.I dont know if this is standard though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1