Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I want to get into offroading

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:38 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: I want to get into offroading Reply with quote

Like the title says really...

I want to start offroading - greenlaning and getting soaking, cold and muddy Laughing

Trouble is I know nothing about offroading - nothing about the bikes, where you can ride etc.

I reckon I'm going to need a road legal bike that's pretty cheap to run and easy to maintain. What sort of power should I be looking for? Obviously I don't need anything monstrously powerful but a bit of poke would be nice Smile

What's insurance like on these bikes? I'd be looking to spend £1500 - £2000 maybe on bike, gear and insurance hopefully - is this a realistic amount?

Cheers for any pointers.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:46 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: I want to get into offroading Reply with quote

For bikes - if you just want to do greenlaning, something like an XR250 or XR400 is a good start - lots of easy to use torque.
Not the lightest, but neither are the service intervals too stupid.

If you want something that can hack proper motorcross style stuff, I'd reccomend you look at the 2 stroke KTM and Gas Gas enduro bikes.
These bikes weigh only slightly more than the proper motocross - 10 to 40 kg less than the enduro bikes - which should make them easier to ride and pick up on trails as well.

The 2 stroke engines have been tuned for enduro, so should offer pretty useable power - the 300s especially are supposed to be really easy to ride slowly as well as being mental if you want to.

I was suprised how flat the power delivery of Luke's 250 enduro bike was compared to my much older KTM350 (no powervalve).
Though even with my 350, while it could really give you a kick when it got into the power, I could happily bimble along using the midrange - which I did a lot of the time as it seriously flew if it digged in when it got to the top of the revs.

jim-cr 250
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:30 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 stroke cr 250s are great and theres quite a few road registed on ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fancy doing anything off road, i would probably suggest a moto-x day.

Just for the plain reason that it shows you what its going to be like, within the safety of:

It being someone elses bike
Its only going to cost you £30 if you dont like it
Its a bloody good laugh
Your in a safe, controlled environment

Thumbs Up

Personally ive only done motocross before, would love to do greenlaning but dont know of anywhere to do it locally and dont want to get in trouble with the police basically...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:36 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim-cr 250 wrote:
The 2 stroke cr 250s are great and theres quite a few road registed on ebay.

The 2 stroke mx bikes tend to have much smaller service intervals.

Also, the enduro bikes should be a bit more 'manageable' from what I've read.

Also - for trying it out, I was going to do a motocross day, but ended up going and having a play on my supermoto at the time and nabbing korns bike.
Was happy enough that I didn't pay a load of money of money in the end, as I learnt plenty myself, along with reading up on the basics.

If I get the CRM back in proper working action, you're welcome to come along and have a play sometime Smile.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 00:11 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

Pop down my way in a couple of weeks time, should have my XR250 up & running (taxed & mot'd etc..) as long as your insured to ride any bike your welcome to go take it for a spin down the local lanes, see what you think of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 05 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the bodywork and number plate off of ur ZX6RR and start rideing on the pavement Shifty

45grum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:17 - 05 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

First thing is to decide what you are gonna do as greenlaning is not technically off-roading as you are riding on roads that are not tarmacced (green lanes, UCR's and BOATS) Off-roading is usually Moto-X, Trials and Enduro (even some enduros and trials sometimes need you to be road legal as the course may cross or be linked by proper roads.
I agree with G about the XR Honda's and would recommend an electric start XR250 if you are just green laning or if you want to do a bit of competition get the kickstart only XR250 or better still the newest Honda CRM250 you can find for your money both are well made capable dirt bikes ( the CRM is a great trail bike with lots of power and grunt and auto-lubed bullet proof 2 stroke motor.
Try and blag a go on some bikes and see what you like but £2000 will get you a very good bike. also look at TBM website.

Good luck Graham

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im very interested in getting into this too, but isnt green laning now illegal?

I'm looking to do an Offroad school day with Yamaha-schools in west sussex at the end of the month.
Has anyone done this before? Where did you do it?

I would love a KTM, i look at them in my local dealership all the time, but i know i wouldnt be regular enough with the maintenance Confused

Kaben Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:59 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now less legal lanes, but still plenty of legal ones left.

The enduro range of KTMs aren't that bad for maintenance.

My bike's running now, just need to do a couple of bits and should be able to get it MOT'd.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green laning is legal as long as you don't stray off the path. Don't get a 2 stroke ex Moto X bike if you can help it, 4 strokes are much more user friendly for green laning and have the power delivery you need. Also remember in greenlaning you are the one that has to stop for everything...walkers, horses, cyclists. They have right/rite?? of way.

Watch the size of bike you get (weight wise) as you will at some stage drop it. I started with a KMX125 when I first passed my test then got a KLR600.

The first time I dropped that it was a nightmare to pick up as it was in thick sticky mud.

Make sure you never go alone, as if you have a nast fall and your on your own there is no one to get help.

I always go with someone else as I now do my green laning on a nice lightweight bike (R1150GS) FFS don't start on one of these as if you drop the fecker you will not get it up on your own there is a knack. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:13 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
Don't get a 2 stroke ex Moto X bike if you can help it, 4 strokes are much more user friendly for green laning and have the power delivery you need.

The enduro specific bikes, especially the big capacity ones, have a good range of low down torque, so are fine for greenlaning I'd expect something like the 300EXC to have a more torque right through the rev range than a xr250.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

The enduro specific bikes, especially the big capacity ones, have a good range of low down torque, so are fine for greenlaning I'd expect something like the 300EXC to have a more torque right through the rev range than a xr250.

I was thinking more of focused moto-X bikes like CR250 or CR500's KX250 RM250 with the pull your arms out of the socket powerbands. Enduro's are more forgiving and wont end with a bed in the local NHS Hilton. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:46 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300cc ones are supposed to have as much top end power as the 250cc crossers.
However, as you say, shouldn't have as much of a power band - think I mentioned, but found luke's RMX had a very flat and useable power delivery. Nothing like my very peaky old non-powervalve KTM, which I still found fine for green laning.

andy198712
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:56 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe, you say you want to start off roading meaning you havnt riden much off road before if any??

some like a KTM300 will make you hate the sport as a new comer, it will beat you up off road and tire you so quickly and you'll end up in a hedge

an XR250 (e start is better for new comers) would be great, minimal service and cheap too

off road is nothing like road riding in terms of more power and speed is better!!

a light bike is good, with usable power and nothihng too deadly.

look on the TBM web site forum it'll sort you

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:02 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy198712 wrote:

some like a KTM300 will make you hate the sport as a new comer, it will beat you up off road and tire you so quickly and you'll end up in a hedge

Only if you ride it to the redline everywhere (though I did that and still liked mine).
Use the decent midrange the newer models have and bimble along as you would on the XR and you won't have a problem.

I'd be willing to bet that the KTM300 has more torque through out the rev range than the XR - meaning it can be ridden more easily.

The 2 strokes should weigh less than the 4 strokes - one of the reasons I'm attracted to them.

(though, of course, you would have to be careful not to take the piss too much - while I was fine on a powerbandy 350, I'd probably reccomend a 200 or 250.)

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 06:54 - 11 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR400, cheap, reliable, plenty enough power for me! Wheelies in first on loose gravel and sand and clutches up nicely in second!

Done tons of desert trips on it but i'm a bit of a twat when it comes to protection off road, just wearing trousers, boots and a shirt and my helmet.

1500 or 2 grand will EASILY see you a decent bike and some all round new gear. Not sure what it's like doing it cold, muddy and wet, but i know it's still a blast doing it when i'm sweaty my bollocks off and covered in sand and dust Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1