Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia SXV 550

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

soad
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Aprilia SXV 550 Reply with quote

Does anyone own one of these? If so is it on the road for normal use? Are they fast? Powerful/Top Speed? Thanks.

https://www.2wf.com/images/upload/sxv-3-4_posta.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:04 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Aprilia SXV 550 Reply with quote

As I said on IRC:

A road one was dynod at 56hp.

That makes them not amazingly fast for on the road.

In comparison, a 2006 Honda CRF450R makes about 6 hp less in standard tune. However it also weighs about 20kg less.
This gives the Honda a slightly better 'no-rider' power to weight ratio.

The Aprilia's service intervals are 60 hours - pretty long for a comp bike, but pretty short for a road bike. (And from that I've heard, if you're using it rather than pootling, you want to reduce those as well.)

Top speed will depend on gearing, I'd expect around 110mph - but air resistance will be a big, big issue, to you and the bike.

As standard they come with a 180 tyre, which apparantly makes them relatively rather slow to turn in with the standard suspension.

If you want something really fast, try the ATC intimidator.
It's a 700cc 2 stroke. Makes 60-65 real rear wheel horse power I believe, as well as a massive amount of midrange.

However you do it, I suspect you'll still end up with an expensive bike that while it won't look like a sportsbike, will still have trouble keeping up with a similarly well ridden road bike that costs a third or less the price.

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:08 - 05 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at getting one too and was saddened to see the mcn review of them it was quite poor! A good review for the bike but showed it being out matched by all of its rivals in some areas.

Wanted one since i first layed eyes on them but not im not so sure.
Heard the seat was a "torture" device as well. 56bhp and 110mph were the stats i found in most places for the bike.
Srad 600 - 750 fitted, big carb upgrade, swona exhaust, k1 wheels, k2 usd's & triangle swing arm, 45t rear sprocket, k1 tail end, K1 clocks, r1 throttle mod. Future plans include a turbo and k8 speedo, stubby levers and a radial mc.

Last edited by ebo on 23:35 - 15 Sep 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 05:31 - 05 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

look nice tho

maybe have one as a garden ornament

soad
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 07 Sep 2006    Post subject: Aprilia SXV Reply with quote

Hi,

Are you sure the review was the SXV and not the RSV? As i can't seem to find the review on the MSN site.

In the article you quoted that it was beaten by rivals... Can you tell me what the rivals were?

My impression of the bike is that its the best, powerful, fastest supermoto out there and beats the equivelent KTM easily.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Aprilia SXV Reply with quote

soad wrote:

My impression of the bike is that its the best, powerful, fastest supermoto out there and beats the equivelent KTM easily.

Remember, a factory backed racetrack often bears little relevance to the road model - ie is the race one as overweight as the road one?

Have a look at Ducatis - while their 999 may win a lot of WSB races, with the consumers' versions the GSXR1000 will be kicking it's arse pretty much everywhere.

As I believe I mentioned as well; if you want to buy the *fastest* supermoto, a) you're probably looking at the wrong type of bike b) I'd get a tuned CR500 based machine (100hp, 110kg? yes please Very Happy).

Generally the RSV does very well in group tests, even against 4s, for a twin - because it apparantly has a good chassis setup and is relatively easy for a rider to use more of it's power.

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:32 - 15 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Aprilia SXV Reply with quote

[quote="soad"]Hi,

In the article you quoted that it was beaten by rivals... Can you tell me what the rivals were?

.[/quote]
Hi
The new gsxr 600 was one of them i think a ktm was another and im thinking the last was a huskivanna. Im not intirley sure on these (i looked at the aprilia then flicked on) It was the one with the white turbo hiabusa on the cover. I ll have a look the now for the paper.
Srad 600 - 750 fitted, big carb upgrade, swona exhaust, k1 wheels, k2 usd's & triangle swing arm, 45t rear sprocket, k1 tail end, K1 clocks, r1 throttle mod. Future plans include a turbo and k8 speedo, stubby levers and a radial mc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1