BCF: Bike Chat Forums

big singles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: big singles Reply with quote

hi there im am currently looking for a big enduro for a mission accross europe and down into asia. mabee 10000 to 20000 miles
i was looking for a africa twin but they seem quite hard to come by, i was just wondering how the big singles would handle large distances like that. any recomendations, was looking at aprillas but parts is the thing i would be worried about,
im wanting something around the 650cc or larger size

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:13 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmw f650 is popular for this sort of thing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:43 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big singles will do it. A mate of mine toured Europe (all of it, from the Kola Peninsula to Croatia!) on an XT600. Another mate 'did' Australia on a KLR650.

That said, top speed and ability to sit on motorways in comfort is limited.

I reckon you were on the right lines with a multi cylinder enduro bike. They tend to be comfier, faster and will sit at motorway speeds without excessive vibration. I had an MZ660 street moto and I reckon you'd soon get sick of it doing long distances

Africa twin would be ideal. Also consider something like the Triumph tiger. I'd suggest a KLE500 like mine if the tank range wasn't so pathetic. The transalp is a twin as is the XTZ750 super tenere, don't know much about them though.

If you are looking for a big single, the XTZ660 motor is well thought of and they did a model of the KLR650 called a 'Tengi' which has a huge petrol tank and some bodywork to keep the wind off. As colin1 said, the BMW is an exception to the normal rules, struggles on the top speed front but comfy to ride and carries all the luggage you could possibly want.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to stay away from beamers as parts are stupidly expensive, and there is just too many bells and whistles to go wrong with them,
ok a big twin, looks like its gunna be a tough search to get one cheaply,
cheers for the replys

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:46 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
i wanted to stay away from beamers as parts are stupidly expensive, and there is just too many bells and whistles to go wrong with them,

I think you'll find nothing could be further from the truth.

BMWs parts supply network is extensive and efficient (as you'd expect) and if anything somewhat cheaper than Japanese spares. Build quality is excellent so you seldom need spares anyway.

Check it out for yourself

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about in the back blocks of asia?? initial out lay is something as well
as ill be leaving it on the side of the road when i get to singapore area and catch a flight back to nz from there,
ill look into them as well, but im not convinced Mr. Green

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial outlay is always an issue.

To be honest, if you're going to be taking it through bumfuck nowhere, a BMW is probably even better plan. They're designed for hardcore touring, pish roads etc whereas a lot of Japanese bikes are more of a toy than anything.

The owners handbook on an F650 lists different oil viscosities for a range of temperatures, carb setups for running at altitude and service intervals for operating in desert conditions. That says a lot.

I think if I was going to tour right the way to Singapore overland, I'd want either an Africa twin or a BMW trailie (either a single or a twin). That or an MZ 2-stroke on the basis that they are easily fixed, very simple and commonplace throughtout all the communist block countries. An old MZ can be bodged up at a basic backstreet garage and you could carry enough essential spares to repair almost anything.

At an outside, I'd consider a KLR650, with some modifications such as a kickstart

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:04 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KLR was quite capable on motorways. Could just touch a ton and was fine cruising at 80; though you do get a bit of wind blast.

Mine was quite heavy, but if you go for the 'A' model, they're a fair bit lighter with a big tank as well I think - so should be able to handle bumpy stuff a bit better as well.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:11 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a LINK to how my mate took a KLR650 from looking like this:
https://www.saddletrampsforums.co.uk/Tramps/images/Bikes/KLR/tn_New%20bike.jpg

To looking like this:
https://www.saddletrampsforums.co.uk/Tramps/images/Bikes/KLR/tn_KLR%20left%20side.JPG

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMW F650 is fairly inexpensive to buy, you can buy a used one for just over a grand. It uses the Rotax engine, well proven and reliable.
Parts are not expensive - just like Ducati, they're precieved as a premium brand and prople expect bits to cost, in fact they're cheaper than jap spares.
What bells and whisles go wrong on them then? They're not over complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i didnt realise it was running a rotax engine, alot of the big supermotos are running on them, what do you guys think about the apprilla pegasso 650, i was told it was running the same engine as the bmw, but im not entirely sure, and again with parts in the woops

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

abs brakes, Very Happy obviously the older ones didnt have that though

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
initial out lay is something as well as ill be leaving it on the side of the road when i get to singapore area and catch a flight back to nz from there,

Have you looked into this at all? To take a foreign registered vehicle into many countries you need either a carnet de passage or to pay the import duty on arrival (which you get back when you leave). The import duty is often pretty hefty, normally over a grand.

Whilst the idea of this is to stop people selling foreign vehicles in these countries, it would also prevent you from dumping them.

How much do you expect to be riding off-road? An older steel framed street bike should cope pretty well with moderate off road use if you are only expecting to stray from the tarmac in emergancies etc. Below is a photograph of my 550/4 touring-rat on a gravel road crossing the Norwegian mountains.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadn't even thought about the import duty thing, ill look into that, was more worried about getting a bike that will handle the mission first.
i expect a fair part of the mission off road, basically once i leave europe so mabee atleast 50% off road
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1