Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CRF450

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Offroad & Supermoto by G (16 Oct 2006 - 08:20)
View previous topic : View next topic  

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:27 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Honda CRF450 Reply with quote

Anyone got one of these?

Engines any good on them?

Still gotta mix fuel and oil in the tank?

Lift on the power easy without clutching?

Many miles to a tank?

Thats all i need to know Thumbs Up

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the F meant it was a 4 stroke.
looking at the add's the cr's seem to be 2 strokes and the crf's seem to be 4 stroke.

J.K.R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Honda CRF450 Reply with quote

EllioTT_GiXXeR wrote:
Anyone got one of these? No

Engines any good on them?

Still gotta mix fuel and oil in the tank? No, 4t's have oil in the engine
Lift on the power easy without clutching?

Many miles to a tank?

Thats all i need to know Thumbs Up

Getting there Razz

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats right the crf is a 4 stroke so no need for mixing,i presume the engines are good because there very popular,not to sure what they would do to a tank but it probaly wont be much,and yes they will lift very easy without the clutch are unbelievable fast. Thumbs Up Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:20 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Honda CRF450 Reply with quote

Engines any good?
Well, yes if you want to jump over things and the like.

No oil mixing because it's a 4stroke.

Yes will lift easy without clutching, partly thanks to the very low standard gearing. Gear a sports 400 for the same top speed in top gear and it would too.

Not many miles to a tank.

And, while you don't want to know anymore, you're going to get it anyway, as you don't seem to know much about them.

These are competition machines and require appropriate servicing. I expect the manual will say that you should do a minor service after every use (race, in their case) - and bigger service intervals wil be measured in hours not miles.

If you're looking for a bike to use on the road, personally I'd suggest you look at something like the KTM EXC* enduro range. While the 4 strokes do weigh a bit more than the full on competition motocross bikes, it will be a lot less hassle to use on the road.

*Actually, you can get a Honda CRF450X which is similar to this, but I believe it's quite a new model, don't think it was out a few years ago.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 12:10 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Honda CRF450 Reply with quote

G wrote:
Actually, you can get a Honda CRF450X which is similar to this, but I believe it's quite a new model, don't think it was out a few years ago.

Indeed G the X was recently bought out to be available for customers with supermoto intentions so it has been kitted out with headlight and tail light. No indicators though. Still keeps the same sporty look of the CRF just means it can be ridden at night as well as on the road. The X is also fitted with an odometer.

Can't add much to what G said apart from the mileage bit, as with any bike depends how you ride it. But these bikes are designed to be thrashed and thrashed hard. Longest i've had a tank last is 8 hours.

If you're planning on racing as said above they really must be serviced after each race. Really punchy motor and sounds sweet as fuck with an FMF can stuck on. Never had problems with the ones i've ridden apart from the fucking kick start...but i'm just short Embarassed Laughing

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:43 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be used for the weekends only, abit like the rgv250.

I highly doubt you gotta give them a mini service after each ride like some people say, utter shit, i see someone using one as a road bike and it seems fine.

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

EllioTT_GiXXeR wrote:
It will be used for the weekends only, abit like the rgv250.

I highly doubt you gotta give them a mini service after each ride like some people say, utter shit, i see someone using one as a road bike and it seems fine.

I think you'll find most MX bikes have extremely short service intervals - probably due to the serious amounts of abuse they receive and the conditions they are used in.
Using one as a road bike will certainly mean less wear and tear and therefore less maintenance - i wish i had your talent of just looking at a bike and knowing exactly how often it's serviced.

Very Happy
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

EllioTT_GiXXeR wrote:

I'm impressed that you know that much about them, yet didn't know if they need to pre-mix oil Neutral.

It is not like an RGV though.

You should be comparing it to a /Honda/ RS250 - the sort you see in GPs. In the same way that you can buy a Honda RS250 for club racing and it's pretty similar to the bike that's raced a step down from moto-gp bikes, you can also buy a CRF450 which is pretty similar to what they use in top-level motorcross competition.

It /is/ a competition machine, not a day-to-day bike. Use it on the weekends for quick blasts and you'll probably still not be thrashing it as much as in it's natural habitat, so you won't have to do that service half way around your 3 hour ride. But service it more like a road bike and it's very liable to blow up very quickly.

As I said, go for an enduro like the KTM525 EXC and you should have a bit more reasonable road bike.

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aint buying a KTM, ugly compared to the Honda.

andy198712
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:03 - 17 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you want something more like the XR650R make sure its the R

other wise you'll have a very bussy ride and it'll most like over heat in traffic,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

joe black
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: crf450 Reply with quote

hi all first post so here goes . crf450 excellent piece off kit but it needs to be looked after , engine has separate oils ,gearbox runs light gear oil/crank,headetc run 10/40 , burns oil at high rate need to check every race meeting . older crf problems with airfilter sealing in airbox . crf450x is enduro model not s/moto not strictly road legal . ktm best bet road legal and tuv approved . hope this helps joe black
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1