Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The MMRA British Champions of 2006 are...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:25 - 24 Oct 2006    Post subject: The MMRA British Champions of 2006 are... Reply with quote

The results are in after a wet weekends' racing at Llandow near Cardiff, and thus here are the Champions and runners'-up for 2006!! Some retain their crown from the previous year... others gain the crown after a superb seasons' racing. It is with the greatest pleasure that the Minimoto Racing Association of Great Britain appoints the British Champions as follows...

Junior Lights
1st Place British Champion `06 - Bradley Ray - 526 points
2nd Place Runner-Up - Luke Hedger - 473
3rd Place Runner-Up - Harry Pullar - 349

Junior Cadets
1st Place British Champion `06 - Luke Helm - 549
2nd Place Runner-Up - Jason Douglas - 417
3rd Place Runner-Up - Jason Mortimer - 354

Senior Production
1st Place British Champion `06 - Chris Martin - 598
2nd Place Runner-Up - Lee Sweetland - 515
3rd Place Runner-Up - Mathew Howard - 291

4.2 Senior
1st Place British Champion `06 - Mark Sholefiled - 583
2nd Place Runner-Up - Ian Develin - 100
3rd Place Runner-Up - Tom Hyland - 95

Junior Production
1st Place British Champion `06 - Bradley Ray - 451
2nd Place Runner-Up - Michael Cordery - 352
3rd Place Runner-Up - Niall Waddell - 318

F1 Sidecars
1st Place British Champion `06 - Gordon Martlew & Phil Mapplebeck - 518
2nd Place Runner-Up - Tamzine Hanks & Stefan Castille - 507
3rd Place Runner-Up - Mike Mantell & Louise Hutt - 460

F2 Sidecars
1st Place British Champion `06 - Mick Williams & Sue Morrell - 750
2nd Place Runner-Up - Jon Carver Snr & Jnr - 280
3rd Place Runner-Up - Byron Luce & Psgr - 64

4T Sidecars
1st Place British Champion `06 - Richard Guest & Marci - 647
2nd Place Runner-Up - Mick Leigh and Psgr - 574
3rd Place Runner-Up - Chris Bell & Psgr - 419

Supers
1st Place British Champion `06 - Dave Bennett - 446
2nd Place Runner-Up - Chris Martin - 327
3rd Place Runner-Up - Martin Glossop - 248

Lightweight Production
1st Place British Champion `06 - Andy Yelland - 600
2nd Place Runner-Up - Philip Scott - 576
3rd Place Runner-Up - James Davis - 342

Lets hope we see y'all again NEXT year to defend your position against the challengers! Full points will be posted at https://www.mmra.org.uk within the week.

NOTE: Metrakit Classes' results coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 13:54 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it the 4.2 series is the cheapest to run it?

MMRA don't run a "CAG" class?

Whatever form of racing you look at, it's expensive.
Even when you look at mini motos, a low end 4.2 is nearly a grand.

EDIT: And you won! congrats!

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:04 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta!

CAGs (aka Cheapy chinese £200 minibikes) can enter the 4.2 classification... you won't be particularly competitive, but you'll get a foot in the door, realise why CAGs are hopeless (most only last 2 rounds before they're knackered beyond economical repair), and get access to a wealth of 2nd hand quality machines... however, this year the 4.2 class was the least attended with only one major contender, who had a tendancy to fall off lots, so even on a CAG as long as you're consistent then there's no reason why you couldn't pick up the title.

Look to the 2ndhand market over at Minimotoclub... there's plenty in the region of £500 or less that crop up that are eligible for several classes.

Cheapest way in is the way I took - Sidecar passenger!

Assuming you have the kit (lid, leathers, boots n' gloves)...

Club Membership fee: £55 per year
New Boots: £85 per year

er...

Food n' Booze: £30 per weekend x8 = £240
New slider fer yer left buttcheek: £10 per year.

Total: £390 a year!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:08 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking in that part of that forum.

I'm not willing to spend that kind of money to do something that I don't know if I'll be good at, or enjoy.

But if I can pick up a bike for £100 or so, second hand. Ride it a bit, maybe get a 4.2 engine in it at some point. Then upgrade bit by bit from there. That might be ok.

Are there any videos of the actual races? I'd like to see what kind of pace the quick boys are doing.

Gaz

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:33 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have coverage of the Sidecar races, but I know some other folks have videos of the solos - we're working on collating all this at the mo (see Minimoto Racing Association section of MMC's forums - Minimotos on TV thread...)

Quite a few genuine Blatas on ebay at the mo for next to naff all that are decent enough to race and should be competitive enough...

S'approaching end of season so some further bargains should crop up over at MMC towards christmas as folks upgrade classes or move onto the newer bikes...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-MOTO-49cc-YAMAHA-R6-REP-EBAY-AWARD-WINNER_W0QQitemZ220041339278QQihZ012QQcategoryZ75220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem would be a good buy to bash about on for a race meeting or two to see what you think...

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:59 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a 49cc allowed though?

If so, you can easily pick something similar up for £50.
and yes, that'd do me fine. My girlfriend wants to get me one for my birthday for me to start a bit of racing on.

Gaz

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:13 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For CAG bikes, yeah, should be - drop an email to kev@mmra.org.uk explaining what you wanna do and he should be able to advise accurately, but afaik should be fine... Full rules are here - https://www.mmra.org.uk/rules/solos.php

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 15:22 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like senior production for me only.

But I guess that'll include some ridiculously quick bikes, 8.2s and the like?

Gaz

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:32 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think they're confined to the Supers class... not sure - I'm strictly a sidecar guy using proper roadbike engines... bear with and I'll direct someone over who can advise further...

Marci
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:53 - 26 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Under current MMRA regulations the cheapest form of racing is probably the 4.2 class BUT undoubtedly this will give you one hell of a buzz. You can pick up a decent, competitive 4.2 GRC, BMS etc with spares for around £600. IF the current proposals to revise the class system go through [edit - which I strongly suspect they will - Marci] and the MMRA adopt the popular Aircooled class this will bring in the Blata Elite. Here you can get a fast, reliable and very competitive machine for around £300. They sit between the 4.2’s and Proddy’s, pushing out around 7hp. Great little bikes.

Don’t go for a CAG as you WILL be bitterly disappointed both in terms of performance AND in terms of build quality. Aircooled CAG’s won’t live with a 4.2 and liquid cooled reps have to go in with the supers at 49cc. Don’t touch anything with lights OR metal pegs. Most circuits won’t allow them let alone race series organisers.

If you require any further info head on over to MMC and pm me – CBR6MAN

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1