Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mini moto - or road legal 50/125cc dirt bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Mini moto - or road legal 50/125cc dirt bike? Reply with quote

I'm looking for something to have some "fun" on.

I've had a look at a couple of bikes and am stuck whether to go for a cheap mini-dirt bike (mini moto style). Im sure i could strap it on to my current bike with Laughing ease Laughing Also these are cheaper than a road legal bike as you can pick up ones of ebay at £120/130.

I tempted to go for a little dirt bike which i can ride on/off road. I dont fancy a heavy insurance bill neither do i want to spend more than a few hunderd quid on the bike itself! I dont know if i'll even like going off-road (but have had a large amount of mountain biking and enjoyed that).

What kind of options do i have if i decide to go for a on&off road dirt bike which has a low insurance and is cheap?

OR should i go for a cheaper mini moto dirt bike?

BTW: I have a full licence and 2 years no claims (18yrs old)!

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:29 - 07 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother just picked up a little mini-motard for off road fun. I've had a quick go, I have to say I had a laugh Razz Even though I broke it doing wheelies, hehe.

For 100 quid though, cant complain.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:50 - 07 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the idea of mini-off roaders when I first saw them, but after trying their larger brothers, I'd go for a proper sized one anyday.

How about something like a dt50? Can get them pretty cheap, cheap to insure and can still have lots of fun off road. Not actually that much bigger than a pitbike.

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having a quick peak now! Thanks for the advice.

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find any of that model in my local area! What other 50cc ones are out there?

Also, if i go for a mini moto what is your opinion on this

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

road legal will be less hassle mate and probly more fun doe to being able to play ont he roads Wink

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:30 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a pit bike, good fun.. heres one i borrowed yesterday.. vid - CLick here for vid

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:00 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBurrows88 wrote:

Also, if i go for a mini moto what is your opinion on this

My brother has the exact same one. Its ok, the twin-exausts are pretty cute Wink Only thing I would say is the build quality isn't amazing (I wrecked the rear brake, and snapped a brake lever on the first day Embarassed) but the thing runs fine and is bigger than your average mini-moto. I can actually sit on it, without my nuts being pushed inside me everytime I hit a bump. Oh, and the brake leavers are bloody hard to grab at times Shocked

Still, if you can afford it, a full sized bike WILL be better.

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:19 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont ya reckon a grown up looks a twunt on a mini bike ?apart from not being able to ride em anywhere,you give bikers a bad name ,have a serious think,if your not going on private ground ,dont bother Thumbs Down

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:53 - 13 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyd wrote:
Dont ya reckon a grown up looks a twunt on a mini bike ?apart from not being able to ride em anywhere,you give bikers a bad name ,have a serious think,if your not going on private ground ,dont bother Thumbs Down

Some MP wants to bring in a law whereby all things with two or three wheels and an engine have to be registered and have a numberplate. This is because of cheap £100 mini motos and people who ride them illegally on public land and public roads.

They should make a minimum price of £600..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 13 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What low cc dirt (road legal) bike could i get my hands on!

Im looking for CHEAP everything, but not something im going to have to spend few hunderd getting through MOTS. (i want best of both worlds)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1