Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trip to Salisbury Plain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:27 - 09 Apr 2007    Post subject: Trip to Salisbury Plain? Reply with quote

In this thread the possibility of a BCF trip to Salisbury Plain was floated (pun intended). Now that the weather's picked up a bit, would any of the "locals" be up for doing a guided tour for us fenlanders? Mr. Green

You're welcome to come to East Anglia too - but our lanes are sparse and not all that exciting Confused

Very Happy

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:13 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: Trip to Salisbury Plain? Reply with quote

Bit busy at the mo. Korn's off for a bit, sure he'll be up for it when he's back and by then hopefully I'll have a working bike and body. Presuming no more distractions hurting myself and t'other bike racing, of course Neutral.

Should sort out a south downs trip some time as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:40 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for it, but I'm trying to rebuild my RGV in time for the trackday season. If that all gets done, then I'm definately interested!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:59 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep , no problems lads Cool

I have a route that is a round 60 miles of byways and 12 road , more than happy to act as a guide .

It would have to be a Sat/Sun , I need to know how many (8 max) and if you want to camp or B+B .

One thing though , I do not ride fast around this area as its very easy to get bashed up , nice and easy is best for all concerned .

So if someone wants to set a date (next month ?) I will get the ball rolling this end Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:33 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping we might be able to do something. Dance!

B&B sounds good - I don't mind camping, but a proper bed's a lot nicer. Weekends are good, Salisbury's a fair distance from here, so a Friday night drive is probably better than a very early start.

For what it's worth, I'm a paid-up, card carrying TRF member and tend to stick to their code of conduct - www.trf.org.uk for those not in the know.

Thank you Mr A1 Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:58 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping we might be able to do something. Dance!

5/6 or 26/27 May are the only free weekends for me that month I'm afraid...

B&B sounds good - I don't mind camping, but a proper bed's a lot nicer. Weekends are good, Salisbury's a fair distance from here, so a Friday night drive is probably better than a very early start.

For what it's worth, I'm a paid-up, card carrying TRF member and tend to stick to their code of conduct - www.trf.org.uk for those not in the know.

Thank you Mr A1 Smile

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:50 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly meet up In Ludwell (grove arms)
https://www.grovearms.com/.

I organised a ride out for the lads from tbm forum and stayed here.
Thumbs Up Very nice , bikers welcome ! fantastic grub, !

My route would also use the Ox Drove > Winspit > and Fovant Down which I belive is the longest byway in the Uk with stunning views Razz

From here you then lead up to Stonehenge and onto the Plain (via Shrewton).

This route has something for all ie gravel tracks and some pretty difficult narrow lanes .

Just a note for some Twisted Evil nothing to do with my business (trackdays) just a bit of fun Cool

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be up for that although not too sure when as next week I'm off to the Pyrenees for 3 weeks with my XR tryingnot to get eaten by any bears or wolves. Sun

Camping rather than a B&B I reckon, few hours riding around on the Plain the dark then having a massive bonfire. Mr. Green

TRF code of conduct... I assume that includes things like "thou must play on the empty tank driving courses even if they aren't any type of right of way"? Razz

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:59 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'll be up for that although not too sure when as next week I'm off to the Pyrenees for 3 weeks with my XR tryingnot to get eaten by any bears or wolves. Sun

Camping rather than a B&B I reckon, few hours riding around on the Plain the dark then having a massive bonfire. Mr. Green

TRF code of conduct... I assume that includes things like "thou must play on the empty tank driving courses even if they aren't any type of right of way"? Razz

Pretty much (im not TRF > never will be BUT I wont go onto the chalk pit etc, more than enough to ride on without straying and pissing off the MOD etc .More lanes (legal) down here than the rest of the county put together (?) best to keep it that way IMHO (so far) Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:06 - 10 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD didn't seem bothered by us being there, or the other motor and push bikes (trail and trials for both). Obviously, sure they would be more annoyed if they were actually doing stuff there, but we checked first.

I may have broken my arm in that area, but don't regret playing there as it was lots of fun Smile.

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Not quite Smile

Basically the idea of the code is so that riders don't upset other byway users - horse riders etc. See https://www.trf.org.uk/code.php Of course some people will be offended regardless Confused

For those that don't know, the TRF is the only organisation dedicated to preserving byways etc. for motorcycle use. Even if you don't want to partake of your local group's activities, it's still a good idea to join up and give them funds to be able to fight the inumerable traffic restriction orders and closures that seem to threaten lanes from time to time.

£30 isn't much in the scheme of things, but I appreciate that some people prefer not to - just as long as they don't complain when their local lanes are closed Wink

Your local group may vary, but the Cambridgeshire group rides at least once a month and it's a good excuse to get out and about.

TIA Smile

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1