Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

E-Bike Insurance - A Warning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:13 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: E-Bike Insurance - A Warning Reply with quote

I've just been having a look through the policy that E-Bike Insurance offer. On page 10 there is an interesting clause:
Quote:
6. This policy does not cover racing of any description or being used in any contest, competition, track days, rallies or trials (other than road safety rallies or treasure hunts) or on any other form of racetrack or off-road activity (including green laning).

Now I'm not sure how they can invalidate the policy for "green laning" as byways are a road, albiet one without tarmac. Unfortunately the term "green laning" is not defined anywhere, and it's a pretty vague term.

However, if you have a trail 'bike and are wanting to ride byways etc. then I would suggest you look elsewhere - you don't want to have an accident to find you're not insured to ride on that particular road because it isn't sealed.

For information, the full policy document can be read here:
https://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/info/eBike_Policy_Documents.pdf

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 13:38 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. Might be worth dropping them an email to see what they say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:41 - 23 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: E-Bike Insurance - A Warning Reply with quote

I think I'll be dropping them an email.

What if your house is on a non-paved road - does that mean you can't ever take your bike to/from the house legally? Rolling Eyes

Welsh Al
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:13 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty standard clause, and has turned up in every policy i've ever had regardless of who was covering me or what they were covering me to use.

Green lanes aren't defined, but it's certainly not your driveway, and we all know what they are. If you want to do a 'Long Way Round' you need to spend extra money. Money on the bike, money on the equiptment. Why not extra money on specific insurance?.

Nobody would expect your road insurance to cover you at Cadwell Park, why should it be any different if you're offroading?.

E-Bike is supposed to be the providing a no-frills, cheap as chips service, and they do that by covering as little as possible.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:56 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh Al wrote:

Nobody would expect your road insurance to cover you at Cadwell Park, why should it be any different if you're offroading?.

Because at cadwell park I don't have to obey the rules of the road? Because at cadwell park I pay a private company to use their tarmac?

Green lanes shouldn't be ridden like an enduro course, as the roads shouldn't be ridden like a track.

I wouldn't expect my road insurance to cover me on an enduro course or messing about in a field. I would expect it to cover me on any kind right-of-way that I'm allowed to travel down under the terms of my motorbike licence.

Riding down a few local green lanes is hardly comparable to 'the long way around' - infact compared to road riding the kit costs less and isn't specifically required so much I'd say (first few times I did it in one piece leathers, random boots, road gloves and helmet etc).

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:57 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh Al wrote:
That's a pretty standard clause, and has turned up in every policy i've ever had regardless of who was covering me or what they were covering me to use.

I've never seen a clause like that before. My current insurance doesn't cover track use, but green lanes are not tracks - they're a road same as any other.

Not that I'll be insuring with e-bike anyway, but still...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As G and Gordo've said, that's not standard by any means. Since when is it reasonable for an insurance policy to say they won't cover you on public roads? Anyone who's ever done any laning will know that the difference between byways and motocross tracks / enduros is exactly the same as the difference between road riding and track riding, i.e. one's a public right of way and you have to take all kinds of stuff into consideration and the other's a place to arse about to your heart's content.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Re: E-Bike Insurance - A Warning Reply with quote

You got off lightly.

I'll see your:

Quote:
6. This policy does not cover racing of any description or being used in any contest, competition, track days, rallies or trials (other than road safety rallies or treasure hunts) or on any other form of racetrack or off-road activity (including green laning).

and raise you:

Quote:
Theft or attempted theft, whilst the motorcycle is is parked at the insurers permenant place of residence or any declared garaging address between the hours of 10,00pm and 6.00amm unless the motorcycle is in a properly locked and secured building. - The excess will be twice the amount shown above (2 x £500)

curteousy of H&R Insurance. Okay, so not Off road related but still made my blood boil. And they reckon I'm going to sign the paperwork... Rolling Eyes Laughing [/quote]

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty standard also instigator, did you tell them you kept it in a garage?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 24 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
Looks pretty standard also instigator, did you tell them you kept it in a garage?

No Confused

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:18 - 25 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at the insurers permenant place of residence

So you've got to keep it in their garage? That's a new one... What if you don't live near their offices?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 25 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:
Quote:
at the insurers permenant place of residence

So you've got to keep it in their garage? That's a new one... What if you don't live near their offices?

Then I guess its just tough titties. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1