Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DVLA, a stolen bike and the police

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

leiba1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:15 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: DVLA, a stolen bike and the police Reply with quote

I had my little Honda stolen back in March and did all the necessaries of informing the police and insurance etc and also sent in my tax disc to the DVLA for a refund. All went well in that line, I got my insurance payout and 10 months road fund back. Then this morning I get a letter from the DVLA informing me that I could be fined for not taxing the bike or declaring it SORN or for telling them that I'd sold it, which apparantly was a definate fine. Guess who was supposed to tell the DVLA that the bike had been stolen? The police. Now I've got to scrabble around to see if I can find the crime number to send in and prove that I was not in the wrong about this.
I'm sorry. I just wanted to have a moan about it. I thought it was in the past and over and done with and then this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's down to you to tell them...

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that as soon as they paid out for it in the event of a theft claim, ownership of the vehicle passes to the insurance company.

They usually insist on you sending them the V5 without filling in the change of ownership section.

leiba1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:54 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problem 8 months ago when my previous bike was stolen. Same thing, insurers paid out and so did the DVLA for the road tax. No problems there, then or since. So I checked on the DVLA website this morning and it's the police who are supposed to inform them about a stolen vehicle. So Just remember people, even if you're not insured for theft, report it to the police. They're *supposed* to report it to the DVLA so that you won't get any backlash from the loss. (I think I've found the crime number. I just hope it's for this bike and not the last one.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CortezTheKill...
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:13 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I was under the impression that as soon as they paid out for it in the event of a theft claim, ownership of the vehicle passes to the insurance company.

They usually insist on you sending them the V5 without filling in the change of ownership section.

When my SV got written off, I got my payout for the bike and soon after received notification from the DVLA that the bike ownership had been transferred. Odd thing is I didn't fill in the V5 or send it off to either the DVLA or the insurance company. It seems that things can be done with your details without you giving any kind of authorisation these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to report it yourself as well anyway.
Sort of makes you feel like you've had closure on it, too.
And you can offset any come-backs by saying "But I already informed you, you dozy lot of penpushers!"

Be amusing if we could fine/tax them for inefficiency, wouldn't it.

leiba1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Probably best to report it yourself as well anyway.

I think the DVLA would still want a crime number just to prove it actually was stolen in case there was some sort of scam going on.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I reckon that the 'ownership' of the stolen bike was passed to the insurance company as soon as they paid you out on it. If I was you then I would inform the DVLA that the responsibilty has passed to the insurance company for the reason above and maybe provide them with the crime reference number too.

I think that if they eventually tried to take you to court for non payment of fines/failing to declare that you were no longer the keeper then the DVLA would get laughed out of court as the circumstances would dictate that you could not be held responsible.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Re: DVLA, a stolen bike and the police Reply with quote

leiba1 wrote:
...and did all the necessaries of informing the police and insurance etc and also sent in my tax disc to the DVLA for a refund. All went well in that line....

Erm... should the tax disc not have been on the bike? In which case how did you send it back? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the disc was on the bike (whether it was or not in this case doesn't really matter), I'm sure you can apply for a refund of the tax in the event of the vehicle being stolen. I think there is a certain form that you have to fill in to do it.

On another note, if you applied for a tax disc rebate I thought that automatically SORN'd it instead, cos you can't cash the tax in and still legally have the vehicle on the road.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 09 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of people photocopy their tax discs and carry the real one around in their pocket, which is quite
sensible really, as a number plate check will tell cops if its taxed or not, it takes a proper jobsworth of
a cop to actually give you a penalty for not showing a tax disc.

And as above it your bike gets stolen you can get a refund on the tax paid, not much but still a small
mercy.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can get a rebate without the disk... but you cant send in a tax disk if you don't have it! Sorry, I might be playing too much on what was written!

And yes, when you get a tax refund your vehicle is automatically sawn... I've just done it with my VW Scirocco...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:45 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

CortezTheKiller wrote:
It seems that things can be done with your details without you giving any kind of authorisation these days.

Always could be.

Note that the V5 belongs to the person that has the bike.

So if a thief steals your bike, they are legally entitled to claim the v5 as they have the bike and all you would get is a letter in the post as above. If that were the case, it can also actually be quite a bit of hassle for you, as you then have to call the police and ask them to investigate etc.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence the difference between owner & registered keeper.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound stupid but keep the reciept you got with the bike.
Make a letter, or have the seller make a letter naming you as the owner and signed by the seller.

It is difficult legaly to prove ownership without a paper trail.

'Ringing' is a family business built on this crazy situation.

leiba1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've missed the thread, Walloper. I don't own the bike anymore, ever since it was stolen in March. It is gone, defunct, no more. Not only was it stolen but it was taken just six houses away into a carpark and set on fire. Then, before the police or insurance company could come and inspect it, the council came and took it away and had it crushed. On Monday I owned a bike. By Tuesday evening it no longer existed. This thread is about the police who didn't inform the DVLA so that now the DVLA want money for the bike that is no longer a bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1