Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I need info on CCMs...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: I need info on CCMs... Reply with quote

Well, with the news that i'm going to be receiving a nice little payout from the insurance, I'd like to know a little bit about CCMs.

I know that the 404 uses the DRZ motor and that the larger version used either the suzuki motor or the Rotax, but which is the best to go for if you want something that will be nice and quick, but can manage a bit of mileage too? I've heard bad things about the earlier suzuki engined models...

I can afford a 2004 model i think, any years to avoid particularly?

This is the sort of thing i'm looking at:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-CCM-644-DUAL-SPORT-YELLOW-DS-Supermoto-600-MILES_W0QQitemZ190126146022QQihZ009QQcategoryZ57184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-CCM-404-DS-SILVER_W0QQitemZ110144504185QQihZ001QQcategoryZ57184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-CCM-644-DUAL-SPORT-SILVER_W0QQitemZ320133235625QQihZ011QQcategoryZ57184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:11 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I would look at https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-KTM-640-LC4-SUPERMOTO-PRESTIGE_W0QQitemZ320133532335QQihZ011QQcategoryZ9926QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bit pricey, try a offer ?

Im just a little concerned about ccm"s , not totally convinced about the build quality of the "cycle" parts ( some are ok , some are really bad Confused ) Parts may be a issue (the went bust a couple of years ago)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the motor is a rotax unit, the brakes are brembo, the suspension is WP, i'm not too sure what cycle parts you mean?

CCM is still going, they did go bust but are now open again.

https://www.ccm-motorcycles.net/bikes.htm

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:33 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit of a strange one Confused All the parts got sold off to a company when they went bust. They do no build bikes , (under the new badge ) they simply import them from China, then bolt on some bling and flog them under the CCm badge .

They produce nothing themselves , its all bought in. Im just not convinced about the statement from their site about being able to source any parts from older machines , dunno really, I just heard too many negatives about them .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they rust like buggery?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 04 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'alright, I'm used to that. Just rode the SV through winter Rolling Eyes .

I like the KTM, I just wanted a CCM. I've always hankered after one, they just seem that bit more standoutish at bike shows, and I'm a tart.

All I really wanted was info on which year to go for, because I heard that one of the engines used (the earlier suzuki unit) had a bit of a habbit of getting rid of it's oil fairly quick, resulting in poppage. I want to know up till when they were used, and when they were swapped for the Rotax unit.

I've taken all the other stuff about them falling apart and parts being impossible to find in, so you haven't wasted key strokes Wink

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 04 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, bit of a U-turn here. It was the Rotax unit that came first, then the Suzuki unit. Still not up on the year they swapped though. Evil or Very Mad

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:46 - 04 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , your heart is set on one Wink nothing wrong with the Rotax or Suzuki engines (usually very good)

What happened was big problems with quality control of sourced parts.

Electrics , eg , one month the parts were fine (as long as they paid the bill) when the bill did not get paid CCM ordered parts from "lesser" suppliers, ie cheap shit.

Hence one bike off the production line would be great, the next would be a nasty piece of junk Confused .

I have worked on a few of late and they were not clever at all (2004 models), bolts made of cheese, dry soldered joints everwhere, bearings shagged, spindles worn out, not acceptable on bikes with under 2000 miles IMHO Thumbs Down

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going for one of the earlier Rotax engined ones. I don't plan on using it much to be honest, I've got a DR for hacking about on, so the CCM will only be used for pissing about on.

joe black
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:08 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1trackdays wrote:
Its a bit of a strange one Confused All the parts got sold off to a company when they went bust. They do no build bikes , (under the new badge ) they simply import them from China, then bolt on some bling and flog them under the CCm badge .

They produce nothing themselves , its all bought in. Im just not convinced about the statement from their site about being able to source any parts from older machines , dunno really, I just heard too many negatives about them .

sorry you,re wrong there .their newest model is imported from china the rest of their range are built using japanese engines DR650/DRZ400 and italian components acerbis/brembo/ajp also WP suspension these used to be dutch?don,t know who owns them now.theres loads of parts available for old rotax engined models so don,t worry.

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:47 - 08 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCM has been bought by the original owners - the ones that owned it before Mrs Fogarty.

They have restarted production, but more than that I don't know.

A friend of mine bought one and had lots of trouble with it - silly things like the wire for the cooling fan being routed through the blades so that when the fan cut in it unplugged itself...

Unless you really want a CCM, I'd probably go for one of the more readily available alternatives.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1