Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which way do my piston rings go on the piston?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:53 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Which way do my piston rings go on the piston? Reply with quote

Hi, i need help on which way the piston rings go on my piston. Both of the piston rings say R and 1.25(the oversize) near the gap of the rings and thats all they say. one of the rings is wider than the other, does this one go on top or bottom Question Also which way do they go on. They both have a little slant when the rings gap, like shown in this little picture:P
https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130/kcnw9/untitled.jpg

Is it the top or bottom way?

thanks
kcnw9

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:00 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the picture of the rings, i put the piston there so that it shows that th rings will go down on the piston(Don't think i make sense Laughing )

kcnw9

beans
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:18 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They normally have writing on them saying top or similar. This will be written on the flat edge that doesnt make the seal, if you get what I mean.

If it has no writing on it I would say the lower drawing is right.

Evo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:45 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower.

Mine were installed like "Lower" anyway and it works Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:58 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your both wrong, I just tried the rings the way you sugested and they piston will not fit inside he barrel, but if i do it the other way round then they fit Confused hope this is the correct way then

thanks guys
kcnw9

Evo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:04 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcnw9 wrote:
i think your both wrong, I just tried the rings the way you sugested and they piston will not fit inside he barrel, but if i do it the other way round then they fit Confused hope this is the correct way then

thanks guys
kcnw9

Why ask then ?

Wait for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to respond rather than us two above guessing. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a 2-stroke piston ring. If so the retaining pin will determine the way up to install them. In any case, the "rule of thumb" is that piston rings are always installed with any writing to the top. I've yet to see it done different (though I don't doubt there must be exceptions)

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:21 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evo wrote:
kcnw9 wrote:

thanks guys
kcnw9

Why ask then ?

Wait for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to respond rather than us two above guessing. Thumbs Up

Sorry, i asked becuase i didn't want to put it in the wrong way an i wanted to get some advice from people who might have done it before. Thanks for the help Thumbs Up

kcnw9

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

here

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drawing is better than someone's at last. Laughing

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:51 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, thats strange because i cant get the piston in using the way you said was wrong but i can do it the other way Confused now im really confused, im going to have another go tomorrow.

thanks Thumbs Up
kcnw9

Evo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we werent wrong. Found it hard to believe we were wrong above.

And being a new piston, the ring spaces will be tight. Snap your old ring in half and run the sharp bit around the piston ring spaces to run off the burs.

Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Hmm I took the angled-bits in his drawing to resemble the end-gaps, not the sealing-edge.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:51 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evo wrote:
And being a new piston, the ring spaces will be tight.

Its not a new piston Confused I was just putting my rings back on my piston. I was really trying to get the piston in but it was having none of it, it went half way over the first ring then stops for no reason Neutral but the other way i goes on without a problem Question

Ill have a look tomorrow

thanks for the help
kcnw9

Last edited by kcnw9 on 21:58 - 11 Jul 2007; edited 1 time in total

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
Walloper wrote:

Hmm I took the angled-bits in his drawing to resemble the end-gaps, not the sealing-edge.

I have never seen a ring cut like that. They are usualy straight I thought. But I hate strokers so I do not have to worry.

But my drawing is still better than his. Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is. I was assuming that his "sloped" ends in the drawing were actually "scollop" cutouts for the stop-pin.

KCNW9 what bike is this for?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Check the rings carefully. Check if the top or bottom edge is tapered, similarly if there is a taper to the groove on the piston.

All the best

Keith

kcnw9
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:37 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, its a Yamaha RD125LC Mk2 model. Thanks Keith, ill have a look tomorrow morning Thumbs Up

beans
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip for next time, take a picture or take note of little things like this as you disassemble.

I still say the lower drawing is correct.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1