Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike (my first bike)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:16 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: What bike (my first bike) Reply with quote

Hi guys I was wondering if you could give some advise, I am 26 years old and live in the UK my friends are currently buying a 2005 CR80 and I also want to get my first bike, I dont really want to spend mega bucks about £500 would be good, I dont really have any past experience at motocross and I am only 5ft 4inch I am quite stocky I weigh about 12.5 stone so dont want a huge bike but I want something quick and something that im not going to be left behind on with my mates CM80. Cheers.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 26 Year old , I would say a 250 2 stroke would be ok for you.

Can you ride a bike at all ? If not maby a 125 2 stroke would be a bit better for you, but if you can at least ride around a field with out falling off a 250 should be fine.

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:31 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
A 26 Year old , I would say a 250 2 stroke would be ok for you.

Can you ride a bike at all ? If not maby a 125 2 stroke would be a bit better for you, but if you can at least ride around a field with out falling off a 250 should be fine.

When I was younger I had a Honda C90 which I used to ride around the fields.

Wouldnt a 250 be to big for me I am only 5ft 4inch

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To big cc wise or size of frame, seat hight off ground ect wise ?

If it's the hight off the ground then the 125 and 250's are the same hight with most makes, the 80cc come in two wheel sizes Big wheel and small wheel , if you go for an 80 go for a big wheel.

And regard to cc wise , you say you could ride a c90 so if you are carefull I don't see any reason why a 250 or a 125 would be to powerfull for you.

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:26 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say too big I mean the hight of the bike not the size of the cc, I dont want a bike too tall that I will strugle to get on.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Stafford wrote:
When I say too big I mean the hight of the bike not the size of the cc, I dont want a bike too tall that I will strugle to get on.

I think Marjay is about your height so he had the same problems looking for an offroad bike, if i were you I would search in the offroad & supermoto section for posts by Marjay and read on his suggestions/comments e.t.c on dirt bikes... I know he took a while to find a bike that he could easily ride offroad without problems when kicking it/stopping e.t.c.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

djr wrote:
Red_Stafford wrote:

I think Marjay is about your height so he had the same problems looking for an offroad bike, if i were you I would search in the offroad & supermoto section for posts by Marjay and read on his suggestions/comments e.t.c on dirt bikes... I know he took a while to find a bike that he could easily ride offroad without problems when kicking it/stopping e.t.c.

Yeah thanks for that I did have a read on that last night, it had a very interesting site bikez.com I went on there and you can search moto x bikes in order of saddle hight.

See below chart for saddle hights
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/wiggy_uk/MotoX.jpg

So after seing this I was thinking maybe the Honda XR 80 R 2002, or Honda CRF 450 R 2002, what do you guys think, can someone advise me on one of these bikes.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 450 will be to big cc wise for you with your riding ability .

At the very most 250, no bigger.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mates getting a CR80, what are they intending to use it for?

Best bet would be to try sitting on different bikes to answer the question of what's too big. What your mates are going to be using the CR80 for and so what you'll be trying to keep up with is important.

For £500 you're not going to get an '02 anything. Look through the free ads, and there's some other links in the sticky at the top of this forum. Remember you're going to be wanting to spend on kit as well; lid, armour, boots, googles, gloves, jeans, jersey, knee & shin pads, and the list goes on.

Bigger cc is unlikely to be much of an advantage, all it'll mean is you're spinning up all the time. A 250 is likely to be more than enough power.

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
A 450 will be to big cc wise for you with your riding ability .

At the very most 250, no bigger.

The trouble is the is no 250cc bikes small enough for me according to the list.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:12 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying sitting on some bikes is the answer here.

You can get lowering links to reduce the seat height by a couple of inches if you want, be very surprised if you're not able to find a 250 that you can sit on with or without modification.

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:36 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cheers, whats best to go for a 4 stroke 250 or a 2 stroke 125 ?

And will most 125 & 250`s be quicker than a CR80 ?

Also does anyone have a YZ250 what size are the older ones about a 1996 model

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:37 - 14 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a yz250 is a smokey,
if you havn't ridden much thats going to be far too fast, the power band on them is just plain nasty Very Happy fun but nasty.
these seat height that are listed are when nobody is sitting on the bike. suspension on a dirt bike is very soft, so when you manage to get on it it will compress enough for you to easily touch the floor.
apart from the big singles you shouldnt have any problem getting on any of them.
a 250 4 stroke will be atleast as fast as a 80cc but you wont have to ring the tits off it and you'll see many more trouble free miles on it.
i would look at an old xl200 xr250 dr200 dr250
and stay away from the little smokeys

Red_Stafford
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:48 - 15 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
a yz250 is a smokey,
if you havn't ridden much thats going to be far too fast, the power band on them is just plain nasty Very Happy fun but nasty.
these seat height that are listed are when nobody is sitting on the bike. suspension on a dirt bike is very soft, so when you manage to get on it it will compress enough for you to easily touch the floor.
apart from the big singles you shouldnt have any problem getting on any of them.
a 250 4 stroke will be atleast as fast as a 80cc but you wont have to ring the tits off it and you'll see many more trouble free miles on it.
i would look at an old xl200 xr250 dr200 dr250
and stay away from the little smokeys

All those bikes you named are they 4 stroke or 2 ? I like the look of the XR250 but the others you mention look more like road bikes than off-road bikes, I went on my mates CR last night its a CR85 R it seems very fast it was the first time I have ridden a motox bike but I think I did ok, until I let the clutch out too quick in 1st and the front wheel lifted and I was hanging on like superman but I didnt loose it I just put the clutch back in and it soon dropped Embarassed

clintc23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:27 - 15 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike was a honda crf 150 and its was fast for a 4 stroke 150 not to tall but not to small if you havent rode a lot i recommend this bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1