BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1984 GSXR project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i took off the rocker cover and adjusted the valves, i raised them about 1.5-2mm on the dead cylinder... and guess what? it fires!
cheers kickstart for originally suggesting valves, its taken me this long to get round to it Very Happy

i might raise it another 1 or 2mm because its sometimes not firing at low RPM.
it also 'slaps' a bit if you know what i mean.
could this be because of valves?
ill do it anyway...

i also think i managed to get a shit load of water in the sump through the cam.
my oil window is now a lovely brown colour... yummy.
ill sort my valves properly, then give myself a new dose of oil for the old girl.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve clearances are very exact so before you start using the bike I'd get a manual and set all the clearances to the book figure (unless you know it already of course). 2mm sounds like quite a lot for a valve clearance adjustment - I know my car's tappets should be set a 12 thousandths of an inch.

I just wonder why the clearance was so bad. Not sure if this tends to be a problem with bikes but on older (generally pre-'89) cars that originally used leaded petrol, exhaust valve seat recession tends to be a problem when they are used on unleaded petrol without an additive. This recession makes the exhaust valve gap close up and eventually the valve burns out. However I think this problem is worst on iron cylinder heads - not sure what this one would be made out of.

Quote:
it also 'slaps' a bit if you know what i mean.
could this be because of valves?

Depends what sort of 'slap' it is and where it's coming from. If the valve clearance is too big then it may be making a 'tapping' sound from the rocker box area. Otherwise you could be looking at piston slap or other nasties.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a video of the knocking, anyone know what to make of it?

https://www.youtube.com/v/JinH0XtN0mw

broken ignition, so the fuse is my key Very Happy

also...
ive just got a new set of clocks on warranty for the lifan, and they had a fuel guage and a gear position indicator, i was looking at putting the gear indicator and the fuel guage on the gix, much chance of this working? surely as there is a neutral light on the gix that the gear position indicator would fit?
i doubt the fuel guage would though... probably not a sensor in the tank.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 19 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a diesel by any chance? Wink

From the sound on that video I'd say the higher-pitched 'clackety' noise could be the valve gaps but I'm not sure what the deeper, less frequent knocking sound is. Could be big end(s), but then again I may be wrong.

Does the bike have an oil pressure gague or anywhere a sensor could be fitted? E.g. does it have an oil pressure light with an electronic sender screwed into the engine?

Low oil pressure will tell you that the crank is worn, which would confirm that the big end(s) are buggered. (Note this is from my knowledge of car engines which have a slightly different crank design to that of bike engines, but I'd have thought the principle is the same.)

My first port of call would be to check/adjust all the valve gaps to the book figure and then see if the knocking is still there. Basically you need to eliminate one potential source of trouble at a time.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 19 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if the engine is running and i look around the downpipes, theres a cobweb in there thats being blown around.
does it sound at all like a blowing manifold/hole in exhaut?
i cant really inspect it as its under the radiator and i dont have any gaskets if i do take it off.
maybe a gasket?

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be! You could always make some gaskets out of cerial boxes (though I don't know how long they would last being subjected to high temperatures).

You could always remove the radiator to gain access as I doubt running the engine for a few seconds with no coolant would do it any harm.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 19 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually yeah, i think ill take the radiator off as when i took off the tube from the radiator to take off the rocker cover, the water that came out was rusty and brown, i think i need to sort something out with that.

whats the best way to get water out of the innards of the engine without just running it and revving it so it pumps out?
cheers queers, xxx

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:
bit of wheelie practice, was fun, make videos some time... i can only do them in first though for about 30 meters.

it revs up fine in neutral without any load, and i can get to redline with it, but if i try and do it with the engine under load it sort of struggles at anything above 9000rpm, any ideas why?

other than that... I FUCKING LOVE IT!!!

and ill be riding it on the 20th of august legally Very Happy
cant wait, just hope i pass.

top speed at the moment is about 110kph :S
thats with the 9k rev problem.
its got no sign of carb restriction, but my exhaust does keep coming off. could it be an exhaust flow problem? as im in the market for new downpipes and collector box for it.

cheers queers xxx

EDIT:
my indimacators also dont work above 3000rpm???
reg/rectifier problem?
oh well, they dont check it when the engines running for the MOT so im safe Thumbs Up

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, check the CDI too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 06 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenks wrote:
Matt, check the CDI too!

ill give that a shot, makes a lot of sense now you mention it as the cause of the rev problem.

if it works, big virtual pint for you!

i hope its that rather than carb/airbox/timing related, because ive got about 5 CDI units lying around Very Happy

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, enjoyed this thread mattsprattuk,

Any updates? Did you pass? Get everything working on the gixxer?

I dunno how you can say you dont have much knowledge! :p

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, i kind of forgot about the thread Very Happy

passed my test on the 20th, then spent about 2 weeks perfecting it to get it through an MOT...
failed first time because of cracked tires, broken brake lever and radiator touching forks when on full lock...
sorted it all, passed MOT, happily riding along leaking oil and overheating all the way, but i didnt give a shit Very Happy
my rev problem seemed to dissapear after the MOT, so i stretched its legs a bit...
3 weeks down the line the rev problem is back with a vengance.

i thought it was sparks, but clearly not as theyre all a nice golden brown.
so now it doesnt start.
a sort of end to the story:

'im road legal, taxed, MOT'd and insured... yet the bike killed itsself- engine rebuild or new engine pending
Quote:
I dunno how you can say you dont have much knowledge! :p
'.

you can never know everything! every day im on here i learn something new.
all the stuff i know ive learned since october last year when i was hacking my 250 superdream to bits Very Happy

EDIT: the problem was a gummed up carb Very Happy

Last edited by mattsprattuk on 23:34 - 27 Nov 2007; edited 1 time in total

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i was hacking my 250 superdream to bits Very Happy

Hacking.....a superdream..... Evil or Very Mad blasphemous! lol, was it already a mess? I love superdreams, 250 espesh, my dad had one as his first proper bike.

Most of the stuff Ive learnt about bikes is reading on here, from my dad, and unfortunately, my little brother (15) who is frigging just weird with what he knows (and the fact its correct 99% of the time!)

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Quote:
i was hacking my 250 superdream to bits Very Happy

Hacking.....a superdream..... Evil or Very Mad blasphemous! lol, was it already a mess? I love superdreams, 250 espesh, my dad had one as his first proper bike.

Most of the stuff Ive learnt about bikes is reading on here, from my dad, and unfortunately, my little brother (15) who is frigging just weird with what he knows (and the fact its correct 99% of the time!)

dont worry, i dont hate superdreams Very Happy
im 18, so dont remember the joys of them being new...
my first ever bike project was a superdream 250 (left outside for 5 years!!! THATS blasphemy)

so its the first engine i stripped and put back together, and got running for that matter! even though i didnt know shit all, all i did was clear gunk off the innards...

bike number 2 was a CB400 superdream... cat- C write off... MOT ready now, i just cant be bothered Razz
i also got a 250 frame and engine that got thrown in to sweeten the deal (thanks kram Very Happy £50 well spent)

then was THIS thing because i thought i could tackle it...
so yeah... i love superdreams!

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 18 too, but never done a project, am hopefully doing one soon though (october payday, pleaaaase hurry up)

I spent my hard earned money on a zx6r, and the almighty arse fuck that is the insurance Sad

But good stuff bout the superdreams, they just seem pleasing on the eye!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3