Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Craigs23 Inspired Cleaning Project!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Another Craigs23 Inspired Cleaning Project! Reply with quote

So, I watched the YouTube clips that Craigs23 posted up the other day.

Since then, I finally decided to get the LED rear lamp repaired/replaced under warranty on my ZX7R as a couple of lines were not working. This meant the bike was off the road as I don't have the original rear lamp / indicators.

So I decided to start a proper cleaning job like in vids from post above. Now bear in mind that before this the most I'd done on a bike is fit an end can. I'm more of a "Jetwash Joe" than "Mr Muscle". The bike started like this:

https://motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0021.jpg

A few hours work and it now looks like:

https://motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0146.jpg

I got a couple of questions about cleaning certain things, if any of your "Clean Freaks" can help? Firstly, the frame and swingarm on this bike are powder coated black, what's the best stuff to clean them with (Also the wheels are the same actually)

Next thing is the calipers. They are pretty dirty, but I don't want to strip the calipers down, just clean them. What should I use on them?

https://motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0141.jpg

https://motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0142.jpg

Any hints / suggestion welcome. Just hope I can put all this back together when it's all clean!

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraffin and a toothbrush and some cotton buds for the pistons. Or you could buy a tin of brake cleaner and give them a blast with that.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man for jumping in there Clapping

WD40 as in the vid should get rid of the worst greasy deposits from everywhere bar the brakes, where (I will have to get some) brake and clutch cleaner should be the safest option.

You will of course need to get rid of the oil based WD40 with a water based degeaser <enter name here> (as I have no idea of one Laughing).

Final step is something like soap and water to rinse then buff and polish.

Think thats the correct steps?

As long as you are methodical in your destruction, sorry dismantling, of the bike, the putting back is just the opposite. Take your time and enjoy it, it is quite fun Wink

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers SoND & Whosthedaddy!

Paraffin worked a treat on the calipers IMO.

https://www.motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0153.jpg

https://www.motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0152.jpg

https://www.motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0155.jpg

https://www.motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0157.jpg

I'll be gettin started on the swingarm tomorrow methinks.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Well done that man for jumping in there

I think you can save that until I've attempted to put it back together! Laughing This could end up a disaster!

It has actually been a piece of piss so far, much easier than working on cars. I think it's been easier as the bike looks to of been really well looked after and has FSH.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up

Tired petrol and a brush but I have to admit that the fumes were a little too noxious and the benefits of were quickly out weighted by me wanting to hurl.

Quite fancy the look of Muck Off, just apply, dab about and then rinse off.

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until now all I'll ever used is some stuff called Pro Clean, which I think is similar to Muc Off. It is pretty good. I just jetwash the bike, spray everything with Pro Clean, rub it in on the really dirty bits and jetwash off. Think it's aimed more at dirt bikes though. Bloody expensive as well, it was about £5.50 ltr, and I was using shit loads of it!

Did you get your hot start problems cured by the way ?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I kept stalling it today Rolling Eyes and fired up first time? Maybe some crud in the fuel pipe or grunge on the side stand switch?

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love it when a problem just goes away! Jammy bastard Very Happy It's all good

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 14:53 - 29 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get quite a few emails regarding cleaning tips these days - now this is about the 3rd topic in as many weeks with my name in it...

Top work, good job that man. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 29 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, swingarm, rear caliper, sprocket / carrier and wheels cleaned, so I started on the front forks.

Anyone have any suggestions about this? :

https://motorpartsonline.co.uk/ninja/SP_A0179.jpg

Can anything be done with this without removing the forks ? I tried paraffin and Brasso but it ain't helping....

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 29 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emery cloth / carbon paper to rub down the deposits and autosol to shine?

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 04:35 - 30 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't try cleaning that. I'd strip the fork, get the stanchion out and send it off to be rechromed...

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:12 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For black bits, I use WD40/GT85 to clean it, specially on the wheels as it stops crap sticking to it and bring it up nice and shinney.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowninja wrote:
Well, swingarm, rear caliper, sprocket / carrier and wheels cleaned, so I started on the front forks.

Can anything be done with this without removing the forks ? I tried paraffin and Brasso but it ain't helping....

Try some fine wet and dry paper and give it a rub while it's wet, 800-1600. Might clean it up a bit and so long as the pitting isn't in the travel of the seal you should get away with it.

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:08 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowninja wrote:

that i would say is almost certainly in the fork travel up at the top bit... personally id look for some good second hand ones, or re-chrome them. they look fooked. and please tell me you aren't hanging the whole front end of the bike from the clock/headlight bracket? go buy a proper stand! for cleaning powder coated frame / swing arm, i use paraffin, then soapy water to take off the residue... works a treat Smile

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, however I'm afraid this project has been hastily abandoned! I've started reassembley (Half clean! Embarassed ) as I need the space it's sitting in for my new project:

Check it out!

https://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007/10/01/bikepics-1042486-full.jpg

https://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007/10/01/bikepics-1042487-full.jpg

https://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007/10/01/bikepics-1042488-full.jpg

Ain't she a beaut ?! Saw it a couple of hours before it ended on 'That Website'. It was only about 10 miles away too. Indicators / rev counter are only things that don't work and with the Micron can it sounds really good.

'88 Oil Cooled 750 Slingshot. The idea is to Streetfighter it over the winter. I was thinking red frame/swingarm, USD's from R6/Later GSXR, Renthals, R1 race seat, Painted Black, little tiny stubby poking out from just by the pegs.

Any ideas welcome....

Bullet wrote:
please tell me you aren't hanging the whole front end of the bike from the clock/headlight bracket?

It looks a lot more unsafe than it is! The weight is held by the bracket where it comes from the frame, which is fairly thick iron! I had to improvise quickly as I didn't plan in removing front wheel, but I got a bit over zealous! The engine crane was the first thing I saw Laughing It's back on the front wheel now.

Last edited by Faldo on 18:55 - 03 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total

konsoli
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:21 - 03 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame to see it being abandoned. Could have been a good piece of work. Never mind eh? Ride the bike rather than cleaning it Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1