Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What are the costs of getting into 'proper' moto-cross?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Oct 2007    Post subject: What are the costs of getting into 'proper' moto-cross? Reply with quote

I've recently found out that I live 5 miles from a decent moto-cross track and it seems wrong not to use it. Thing is, I've dabbled in 'off-roading' before but ended up getting carried away and buying two 600cc supermoto bikes, which I rode 100% on road.

So, I'd like to get this pipe-dream right and need a bit of help:

Arrow What are the likely costs involved in owning and running a moto-cross bike?

Arrow I'd like a road-legal bike so I can ride it there. Would something like a XR250 or CRM250 be able to take the abuse? Is there any point looking at 125s?

Arrow How much are the track days?

Arrow I'm no mechanic but fine with the regular (basic) servicing that would be required, is this beyond my skills?

Many thanks Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:30 - 28 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: What are the costs of getting into 'proper' moto-cross? Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:

Arrow I'd like a road-legal bike so I can ride it there. Would something like a XR250 or CRM250 be able to take the abuse? Is there any point looking at 125s?

They'd both be a bit out-gunned suspension wise on a mx track, especially the XR.
Proper enduro bikes (rather than 'trail' bikes) like the 2 stroke Gas Gas or KTMs should handle it a fair bit better.

You can get road legal 'crosser bikes - think there's a CR250 on ebay at the mo as an example.
However, a decent enduro might be a good compromise, allowing you to do some greenlaning and such like more easily.

A 125 motocross bike should be fine - definitely making a lot more power than something like an XR250 with a fair bit less weight.

For costs, call the place just down the road from you Smile. Probably something like £30 a day, maybe a little more.

Servicing shouldn't be too bad - even the new rings/pistons it'll need occasionally aren't too bad.

Shouldn't need these too often if you're only using it fairly casually so shouldn't be too excessive cost wise.
Petrol and 2 stroke shouldn't break the bank.
Remember you're probably going to want some half decent kit. Cost me about £300 wandering around the dirt bike show a couple of years ago for a full setup from boots to helmet.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 29 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G, very helpful! Thumbs Up

G wrote:
Proper enduro bikes (rather than 'trail' bikes) like the 2 stroke Gas Gas or KTMs should handle it a fair bit better.

Gas Gas EC and KTM EXC looks like a good options, the Gas Gas looks to come with decent spec to!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: What are the costs of getting into 'proper' moto-cross? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Remember you're probably going to want some half decent kit. Cost me about £300 wandering around the dirt bike show a couple of years ago for a full setup from boots to helmet.

When it comes to body armour what would you recommend, I'm presuming falling off is a case of when and not if!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:39 - 29 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: What are the costs of getting into 'proper' moto-cross? Reply with quote

If the falling off is an 'if', then you're definitely not trying hard enough!

I should point out I've never done any 'proper' motorcross; just messing about on some medium-small sized jumps on a field a few times (and the doubles scared me enough to avoid doing them as it was!)

For leg armour, the boots will do most of it, but to add to that you want some knee armour.
You can get very good knee armour/braces which stops your leg twisting and bits popping out. Seriously top spec ones are getting on for £5k I believe!
I decided I more liked the idea of one that folded with your upper leg than that just sat rigidly on your lower leg, sticking up. Cheapest one that fit me well that seemed to look ok was £25.

For the upper body, I went for an all-in-one mesh suit that included and a back protector and kidney belt. It also has shoulder, elbow and forearm armour.
While I believe this broke my arm, the gouge out of it suggested it stopped me having a completely shattered shoulder from whatever I landed on, as the force was moved and spread out!
Mine was about £65 (cheaper one, again) and I reckon has helped stopped me hurting myself more well enough.

For motorcross, people often go for 'roost guards', which are chest shoulder and back protection. These are more designed to protect from debris thrown up by the rider in front.
Often these are augmented by separate or connected elbow and forearm armour.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely want a proper MX bike if that's all you'll be using it for. Admittedly my DRZ would've been a fair bit heavier than something like an XR 250, but it did feel like an absolute tank on the track, and I'm guessing any other enduro bike would suffer similarly, for no real benefits.

IIRC I paid 40 quid a day for the tonymoto 'B' track, but costs elsewhere may vary. Also, by MX standards the B track was just a practice track rather than the full blown thing with 80ft jumps etc. Didn't stop it being intimidating at first though. Laughing

G's right about gear. I got body armour too rather than a roost guard, it seemed like the better option. I bought mine on ebay from this guy. Other than that you'll want a lid, goggles, a decent pair of boots (important), and some knee pads.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:09 - 30 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the decent 2 stroke enduros aren't actually that far off mx bikes and from what I've read can handle mx much better than something like a DR.

Weight is generally 100kg or just over they've got more appropriate suspension.
The listed weight of the XR250 is between 112kg and 120kg, I believe, so not far of a DRZ-E. Very much doubt suspension is up to it either.

I looked into it a while ago and the general consensus was that the 2 strokes were ok, while the similar 4 strokes (ie, KTM 525EXC) were a little bit too lardy, despite still being a fair bit lighter than a DR or similar.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1