Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do I find out local 'legal' green lanes to have fun on?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: How do I find out local 'legal' green lanes to have fun on? Reply with quote

Am just starting to enjoy myself on my Yam and wondering how I check I'm not wandering off the legal green lanes and also how to find new longer ones?

Also, is my scrambler legal with the indicators and mirrors taken off as they currently are?

Bri
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 13:21 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

get in touch with your local TRF

https://www.trf.org.uk/

They'll know where all the lanes are

a

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:24 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: Re: How do I find out local 'legal' green lanes to have fun Reply with quote

FlyBri wrote:
Am just starting to enjoy myself on my Yam and wondering how I check I'm not wandering off the legal green lanes and also how to find new longer ones?

Also, is my scrambler legal with the indicators and mirrors taken off as they currently are?

Bri

True green lanes are byways so you'll need your bike to be road legal with indicators etc. I don't have mirrors fitted to my bike.

My advice would be buy an OS map ( I have two Landranger 1:50,000 maps of my local area) and look for Roads Used as Public Paths and Byways Open to All Traffic (RUPP and BOATs).

These are the legal green lanes. As I said however, you're bike will still need to be road legal for these, and I'd advise taking the map with you to make sure you don't stray off them. Usually its fairly obvious where you should and shouldn't be, but sometimes it isn't clear. I'd also advise joining the TRF if you are unsure, but I get the impression they are very much the acceptable face of off roading, so I've ummed and ahhed about joining myself.

HTH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:32 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjay has given some good but slightly misguided advise,the bike needs to be fully road legal(and you)but doesnt need indicators unless its got rear footpegs,remove both those and indicators,they will only break or injure you .The TRF??best getting your maps ,but.........RUPPS are the ones which were downgraded to restricted byways since NERC,not heard of it??gen up and be safe ,but try to ride with guys from your area ,tell us all where you are is a start.Buy a gps and when you get taken out log it ,put it on computor and store ,pretty soon you can then ride alone if need be ,but if you do have a nasty off you might be in trouble,ive offered plenty on here a ride out and not one has taken me up on it Confused Thumbs Down Neutral good luck ,ride safe and legal

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.offroadroutes.net/index.asp

Thing is, plenty of the routes shut down from Nov to April.

I don't have a clue of what's what anymore, with all the changes from byways to BOATS to RUPPS.

USe the above link to see what's in your area, then contact your local right-of-way officer to see what is still running.

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 08 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I'm near Farnham in Surrey at the moment but will be moving to Wales over the coming months (near Llandeilo).
The bike is going to a local enduro shop for a tidy up and I'll see if I should attach indicators. I don't like the hand signals so mayw ant them anyway...

Bri
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:03 - 08 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer, get OS maps of the area and have a look over it for ++++++ paths as those are byways. If there are other tyre marks, you're probably good to go. If it looks like your bike or car can physically fit, you're probably good to go. Going places you're not meant to be is alright, you'll only get into trouble if you get caught. And even then, you'll be given an official warning blah blah blah, get caught again within 6 months and your vehicle will be confiscated. So the bottom line is don't get caught. Wink

Long winded old man answer (not recommended), study your OS map for days and days to be sure you know the area. Then before even setting foot out your door you want to contact the Right of Way officer at your local council to check that the local byways are not the subject of a TRO or other restriction. Remember you shouldn't risk damaing trees, hedges, or the path beyond the point of natural recovery. Every few hundred meters you should stop and check your exact location on an OS map using your GPS to take the grid reference as you can't stray of the right of way. This is less of a problem than it sounds as you'll be stopping to have a smoke of your old mans pipe anyway.

Do be aware that simply because a path is marked on the map as a BOAT or RUPP, doesn't mean it's passable, it might have restrictions place on it to allow recovery, it might not even exist anymore if the map is out of date. You can check how upto date your maps are by going to the OS website, then to the relevant page for the type of map, then click the number of the map you want to check. That window then tells you details about that map and then at the bottom of the page it says what the latest published date is and the edition.

Best answer in my option, have a look over your local maps, have a look around on the net to see what you can find about greenlaning locally, and when you go out to byways and places just use a slight amount of common sense. If you're somewhere far away from housing, you're not damaging fields of crops or disturbing livestock, etc etc, no one will care. It's only when its right under peoples noses that they notice and/or care.

Enjoy Smile

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:48 - 08 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Rupps are out of bounds now, changed to restricted byways earlier this year Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1