Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which DRZ400?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Offroad & Supermoto by G (22 Oct 2007 - 22:32)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 22 Oct 2007    Post subject: Which DRZ400? Reply with quote

Looking at getting a new bike soon, but I can't really decide which DRZ400 I should go for? The normal off road type, or the supermoto.

Which ever I get, I'm sure I'll end up buying a different pair of wheels for road/offroad blasting whichever way I go, so what are peoples thoughts and why?

Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up

nick606
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you just get a cheap early one if your getting road some road wheels. But im not really sure what the different is from the normal drz to the sm apart from the obvious.

Is this going to be your main bike or just a toy you will use once in a while ?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:32 - 22 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: Which DRZ400? Reply with quote

There's quite a few difference between the DRZ-S and DRZ-SM.

Had a look at the CCM404?
My review here, if you haven't seen it:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=127107

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:21 - 23 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one choice

DRZ400 SM
https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/Djantty/Image082.jpg

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:35 - 23 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are actually three variants of the DRZ-400 - the E, S and SM.

The Enduro model has a plastic fuel tank and no road-going kit;

The Street model is the road-legal, off-road style version with indicators, speedo etc.;

The Supermoto version is... well, you can probably work it out!

As for which is the best one, well that depends what you want to use it for.

HTH Smile

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:15 - 23 Oct 2007    Post subject: drz Reply with quote

If your going laning dont consider the S,take the E,its the pukka tool,if you do want an S my mate is selling his......... VGC, not laned,800miles!!!!!!!!!!2006,i think,hasnt used it for 10 months now

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For regular laning it's gotta be the E. For 'mainly tarmac and the occasional muddy venture' the S and for road only I'd get the SM. Simple as that. Thumbs Up

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there very little difference in the rest of bike, suspension and brake wise?

stevekynaston
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:44 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: drz Reply with quote

mate go for the drz 400 sm mine is new 57 plate and i love it got me a dep pipe on it and she sounds a bute,gone from a zx9r to the drz 400 sm and its the best thing ive done in a long time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:28 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
Is there very little difference in the rest of bike, suspension and brake wise?

There's a reasonable amount of difference between the SM and the E/S.

As dom says, if you're looking to go off roading, the 'e' model may well make sense.
You get more power than the SM with just as good reliability apparently.
So, despite what people are suggesting, the SM may be a rather stupid choice Smile.

However, I'd still recommend the CCM which comes out cheaper than the SM and usually with both sets of wheels, as well as better suspension and a better engine.

The SM definitely looks rather overpriced compared to what the CCM is available for.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the CCM is appealing, only the DRZ are more regularly avalible. I'm not by far ruling the CCM out. Smile

I think the thing I'm getting at, is I want to do a little green laneing, but mostly road use. Would a supermoto suffer if I put off road wheels on, or would the E version be awful on the road?

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:05 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the CCMs for sale now will have been fixed. From new, they tended to have some build quality issues (the wire to the cooling fan on my friend's CCM was routed through the blades, so it didn't work).

The engine is pretty good, being a Suzuki lump, and the rest of the key parts (suspension, frame etc.) are good too. Be aware that some of the consumable parts are not all that easy to get - the air filters, for example, are unique to CCM.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:14 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, you probably want two sets of wheels whatever you're doing.

An off road style one with road biased tyres on trail wheels should be fine on the road.
The supermoto would definitely be better, but you're paying a fair bit more for the better brakes and suspension.

Not entirely sure on fitting off road wheels to the SM, reckon you can without too much bodging. Before the SM version came out, plenty of people got aftermarket off road wheels on the normal versions.

lewis87
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:22 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a DRZ400SM and it's great fun! Plenty of aftermarket parts to buy if you're into modding.

https://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6959/dsc0051smallernm1.jpg

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the E-spec model. I've ridden a friend's SM and it's too heavy, underpowered and dull. In a straight drag race it has little to nothing speed wise over my DR350, and I am a great deal heavier than my friend. Plus the DR wheelies far better.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1