NSR Overheating, thermostat changed..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom_NSR wrote:
Could lack of two-stroke (broken pump?) cause this sort of rapid heating of the engine?

It would but the engine would sieze up rather quickly at running like this, I remember my engine going from running seemingly fine to locking solid in a matter of maybe 5-10 seconds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bradman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:24 - 07 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
Thom_NSR wrote:
Could lack of two-stroke (broken pump?) cause this sort of rapid heating of the engine?

It would but the engine would sieze up rather quickly at running like this, I remember my engine going from running seemingly fine to locking solid in a matter of maybe 5-10 seconds?

Hi...
My NSR 125F went haywire and overheated. I saw lots of smoke and saw the temp has in the red and raising. I stopped the bike, but I am not sure what deal is. I will tjek, may a leakage??

I thought stat, but it could a load of things.

Cheers..

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 08 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows everyones carbs? if there too lean overheating is quick, i would check all the pipes and the rad an then move onto the head if the above are all flowin coolant, i would check the head after cheing the water pump of course. take the rad lid off and let it run for a sec, can you see the water circulating? on most bikes the water is pumped back into the top of the rad or water bottle to begin the cycle again, if you cant see it moving then its your pump.

Cwizard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 10 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

*little update*

opened the rad cap, put some water and coolant in. now before i started the bottle seemed rather full and no water in the top of the rad cap. got 500ml in. then used it today, stayed nice and cool! good, but was letting coolant out of the overflow quite a bit. I think may be air in the system. now its stopped dripping coolant, it started warming up again, not too red line, but just over halfway on the dial. so gonna do the same tomorrow. Apologies to those who i said i didnt think it was air! Embarassed

Thou in my defense, before it didnt look like it was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tellietubbie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:10 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading, my lad has the same problem with a mtx125 which I'm told is the same engine. We have:
refilled system on multiple occasions,
removed/replaced thermostat,
checked operation of system including pump
checked for leaks,[none]
replaced head gasket,
tore remaining hair out.
Bike gets to temperature and spits steam/water out of expansion tank overflow until it overheats. Refill with coolant/water.
Anyone got a clue?
Have a nice day and may your bike never overheat!

gadfium
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:35 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cwizard wrote:
fan? what fan?
Halfway to friends house, red line and steam. now this was enough for me to call ahead and say im gonna be a while.

If you had steam coming out, then that sort of rules out a dodgy switch/gauge (I mean lots of steam, not just a bit from a wet engine). If there is water in the radiator, and given that the engine has been rebuilt, then my guess is that it is airlocked, or someone has fitted a gasket incorrectly (base gasket).

On my bike, you have to "burp" the engine after a coolant drain. That is, fill it with coolant, take the rad cap off and start the engine. You then have to blip the throttle (big handful, not tiny little blips) as the engine warms. This forces the water through the coolant ways, driving out the air. Switch off, then top the rad up (it WILL have dropped the level as the coolant gets round the engine). I normally let run up to full temperature and then cool down, check the level again and re-top up. If you don't do this, then you will not have filled the engine properly (on mine at least).

The other thing to watch for is if someone has put a gasket (such as a cylinder base gasket) on incorrectly. This will block the coolant (or oilways on a 4T), leading to overheating (and a FUBAR'd engine).

Lastly, if it was pushing out steam, then there is a chance that you could have warped the head....check for an oil/water emulsion (like brown mayonnaise) in the coolant.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try running without stat in.

Also try squeezing the rubber hoses to try and force any air out of the system.

Cwizard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 12 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well basically filled with coolant this morning, lot less than saturday. It appears to be air as its stays cool, leaks a bit more and heats up a bit more, not no where near what it was. Couldnt run with tank up this morning, Embarassed didnt realise that was low on juice. seems to be getting better.

gadfium-
cant be a gasket, its been running fine for weeks since engine rebuild, only appeared recently when the thermostat went.

gadfium
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:26 - 13 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cwizard wrote:

gadfium-
cant be a gasket, its been running fine for weeks since engine rebuild, only appeared recently when the thermostat went.

Ahh i see, I didn't realise that it had been running OK before this happened. Sounds like it was airlocked somewhere.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 09:09 - 13 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember you can get an airlock BEHIND the thermostat. I learned this working on Kiyos CBR1000, the team run the bike with the thermo stat housing off. Have you done that??????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cwizard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 13 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried running without thermostat housing on, would that not mean it throws water everywhere? Confused

Gadfium- yeh gotta try and get all air out, been getting better each time turn over, well until this morning, i replaced the battery last night as it wont hold charge, so started as soon as finished last night, started on the button, great. locked it up, went in, came out this morning, i swear this bike is scared of the cold, just wouldnt fire for love nor money, turns over, but nothing! 1 thing after the other. Mad

mr.kris
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:21 - 14 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the plug for starting problem with the coolant prob put it on the stand with the radiator cap off and run it up rev and let settle rev and let settle see if you get bubbles comeing up if you do top up with coolant and repeat do this for 5-10 mins then take off stand and see if more bubbles come up let me know what happens dont forget to put the cap back on before you take it for a test drive good luck
TS50X---CM125---MZ150---Z250---RS125---ZXR250---BANDIT600---TRX850---TL1000S---CBF600---ZX6R---BANDIT1200S---CG125---VFR800---CBR1000F---CG125---CG125---CB900F---CB900F---CG125---TUONO1000R---KLR600---GSX1300R HAYABUSA---VFR400NC30

ZX6R & CG125 & CB900F now in use!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cwizard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well turned the key and fired on button, ridiculous!! Think it had just got too cold. Cant think of anything else, fired straight away, no choke either. Pass, gotta sort the air out today, but theres light at the end of the tunnel. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2