Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"backing it in" advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: "backing it in" advice. Reply with quote

Okay, ive got a ccm 604 motard and i cant seem to get the back end out coming into a corner, im just after a little advice from you kind folk Thumbs Up

i know the Ccm isnt the lightest of bikes, and i certainly dont wanna be highsiding.

cheers, Steve.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:23 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these threads.... don't practice it on the road thats for sure.. get to some track days, learn to go fast and then get faster and faster and before long you'll be going fast enough to actually back it in properly.

IF you really must... then go set up some cones in a empty car park and learn there, my mate can back his WR426 in really well but not so sure he'd do it on the road altho hes done it at industrial estates ....

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ive got no problem with the slide issue, its just getting the fucker out, i may not be going fast enough, or dumping the clutch early enough.

all i do, is shift my weight, roll off, prolly from 3rd down to first and dump it coming into the corner, but it just seems to bounce about abit, ove a few inch then gain grip again.

gona look a rignt nobber with some cones attatched to the back of my bike Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:10 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go faster Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing it in on a track is to compensate for the handling deficiencies of the bike at high speed, for example Garry McCoy on the Yamaha MotoGP bikes of the mid nineties.

Backing it in on a Supermoto, is usually done in the dirt areas of the track, and is often part of controlling the speed of the bike, and so I would not be surprised if it is not normally initiated by the rear brake.

However, as Sparks! Said, now isn't the best time to start really, and I would suggest trying it on an off road bike on some soft ground first.

I've seen G do it on one of his Supermotos, but as said, he didn't back it in using the power (which is the usual definition of backing it in!) he used the rear brake and slid the bike up to a roundabout.

G has also crashed a fair bit on the road too, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes a bit past where most people consider to be 'safe' on the odd occasion! Laughing I also get the impression that your technique of dumping the clutch isn't the best way to do it as it doesn't achieve controllable slide, it just makes the rear wheel skip about.

I would say that the slide either needs to be wholly back brake related, or entirely a powerslide. And as said, I would say that practicing on diesel strewn roundabouts in November is asking for trouble!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:48 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing it in for supermoto is usually done on tarmac ....thats the whole idea of it, you can go faster if you slide around certain corners.. and most learn it because it looks cool Wink

I think initiating the slide with the rear brake is sometimes acceptable, but ONLY for breaking the back loose... I can sometimes drift my CBR which I start by using rear brake to skid, leanin over then wacking the throttle on... some times I powerslide, most the time I spin around 540 on the spot and get flung off the bike Laughing

If you're aiming to back it in on tarmac then definetly learn on tarmac, but in an area you can happily crash!

I'm not an expert on backing it in, but its pretty much the same as drifting ... idea is to get the back end loose then wack the power on to make it slide Wink

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the idea is to use the engine braking of that big ol' Rotax motor. On smaller (125 sort of size) and 2 stroke bikes it's near impossible without using the rear brake as they just don't have the balls to control the speed of the rear wheel.

Fly up to a corner, close throttle, click it down one or two too many gears, drop clutch to about half movement (DO NOT DROP IT ALL THE WAY, it will lock and you'll release as a natural action, you'll highside and eat tarmac) to break the rear wheel loose, then mediate clutch so that rear wheel is rolling slower than it should but without locking, and you should be sliding but with enough control over the rear as to not go rolling backwards into a ditch.

That is a simple explanation, there are many other points. The actual technique is a method of braking that allows you to 'brake' way late and right up to the apex without lowsiding, using the slide to scrub off speed. The idea is to select the right gear for the corner so that as the bike brakes to the rear wheel speed and the wheels come back in line you are at the apex and leant over, ready to tag the apex and hit the throttle.

It's dodgy on the road as you don't want a surface change/fluid spill/patch of gravel/wet leaves to change the level of grip as you are sliding, that will fuck you up. It is also easy to misjudge the gear to be in, you could end up missing the apex and sliding into oncoming traffic.

Quote:
I'm not an expert on backing it in, but its pretty much the same as drifting ... idea is to get the back end loose then wack the power on to make it slide

Not so true. Backing it in has nothing to do with how you exit the corner, only how you enter it. If you choose to exit the corner sideways with the rear smoking then that's a power slide, or maybe 'backing it out'. 'Backing it in' refers to just that, the entry of the corner. Supermotos rely on their superior lean angle, light weight and flickability mid corner, what you do after that is entirely down to the rider.

Best idea is to maybe get to an industial estate or a big car park and practice breaking the rear loose in a straight line without nailing the clutch or using the brakes. Every bike is different, the CCM is no exception, you may find that it takes a lot or a little to slide the rear. Then you could practice getting it into fourth or fifth then dropping it a couple of cogs, work the clutch and see if you can get it to slide sideways. Bear in mind that it is more likely to grip and highside if you are sat upright on the bike, try to use your bodyweight aswell as counter steer to force the bike sideways, making sure the body does not sit atop the bike, but rather leans with it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:49 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that I don't initiate a slide with the rear brake - I suspect that could lead to a fair bit less controlled slide.

I initiate a slide by dropping it down a gear or two, then use the rear brake to keep it sliding.
I suspect rear brake is needed more for me as I'm generally not doing it with that much lean, ie going into the work carpark etc. This presumably means the rear tyre is more likely to be trying to grip and get the engine speed up, rather than keep on sliding.

As lilredmachine, I've always seen backing it in done with the engine spinning slower than the road speed. If you're very good, you can then link that with getting on the power midcorner to keep it sliding as you come out.

So...
First off, find somewhere safe to play.

Always cover the clutch and be ready to use it.

Come up to the corner in your desired gear.

It will help if you're braking fairly hard initially to unload the rear. However this is more to think about and I've managed to get the rear sliding a little bit without this on most bikes (including sportsy bikes).

As you turn in, knock the gears down one or two.

As required, use the rear brake (with some finesse Smile ) too try and keep the engine speed a set amount below the road speed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1