Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is a DT125R any good for off roading?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Is a DT125R any good for off roading? Reply with quote

Am wanting to start off roading in an inexpensive way but was wondering if a 125 was too small. I've got my full lisence but am trying to keep it cheap and I saw that there was a Yamaha DT125R for sale locally which interested me.

I'm 6ft 2 if that makes any difference...

Thanks
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a decent set of tyres on then i should'nt see any problem with it mate.

Good Luck.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:05 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: Is a DT125R any good for off roading? Reply with quote

As above. Suspension isn't ideal, but should be fine for most stuff.
Might be a bit out of depth on a mx track, but everything else should be ok.
Will be a bit more effort keeping up with faster people, but that just means you have to try harder, which is more fun Smile.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 21 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about an aprilia rx 125,

They do a convincing impression of a crosser and have about the same (32-33) bhp as the rs 125 road racers but with different gearing.

The other + to these is you can fit the 250cc rotax engine fitted to a number of continental bike in there for a stealthy 50bhp learner machine.

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 02 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are more than capable little machines and are cheap to repair when you ding it aswell as being able to just keep on going!. Just beware that as mentioned the suspension isnt brillaint and will bottom out. just keep it out of the really ruff stuff Smile Also make sure you fit a bash guard (make one from sheet metal if need be)!

forgot to mention aswell the front pipe sticks out a bit so they are prone to getting bashed. The standard pipes are probably the strongest (and heaviest) belive it or not!

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 02 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a dt125, and took it off roading.

as said above, bash guards and shocks.

but its yes and no really, youl find urself reving it like fook and feathering the clutch alot at lower speed, tricker tracks, but above that it isnt too bad.
im 6"2 and have abit of exp, it doesnt have the pull to get you out of trouble really.

after riding one it wouldnt be my first choice, it is after all a trail bike.

then again i am used to a ccm with plenty of grunt.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its perfect for greenlaning just wont last long if u treat it like a full on mx bike.

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:
its perfect for greenlaning just wont last long if u treat it like a full on mx bike.

dont do big jumps and itll be fine. mine landed with a very loud bang and cruch as the back bottomed out then the front. oh well guess i have a reason to get that lovely cr450f on west gate road Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox wrote:
element wrote:

dont do big jumps and itll be fine. mine landed with a very loud bang and cruch as the back bottomed out then the front. oh well guess i have a reason to get that lovely cr450f on west gate road Embarassed

learn to ride yer dt properly first! Wink

panpan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:32 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that the dt engines aren't the most reliable about
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:42 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be perfectly reliable enough if kept in good nick and treated right.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the teenagers that can't afford to buy and knacker RS125s by treating them like shit will buy DT125s and knacker them by treating them like shit.

Always take reports of reliability with a pinch of salt, you look after it and it'll look after you.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

panpan wrote:
i heard that the dt engines aren't the most reliable about

my mate has had 6 i belive and currently ownes 3 at the minute. He's ragged every single one of em and none have seized/blown up.

Keep ontop of the piston ring changes and use good quality oil and they can be one of the most reliable 2t going. Near to bomb proof as a 2t can get.

I love it when people say bad things about DT's... The engine is pretty much the same as the old RD125's and everyone knows how reliable they are!

Done 16k on my 04 DT and its still on its original bore/piston. Only problem Ive ever had was a leaking head gasket. My 92' TZR has done 24k miles and that still runs (well it did but wont start now for some strange reason) as it should.. Whoever says DT's are unreliable needs to learn how to look after one properly...

What do you expect when you use cheap crap mineral oil, redline each gear and never change the piston rings Rolling Eyes DT engines have been known to do 20k+ miles before needing a top end overhaul if properly cared for!

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliability of the DT depends. You guys praising its "bomb-proof" engine may be the majority, but apparently I got a lemon - it semi-seized soon after I bought it (to be fair, who knows how the previous owner treated it), then 4000km later a chunk of my still new and shiny piston broke off. The mechanic paid for this one, thank god.

This mechanic I speak of was perplexed to the extreme when I bought it in, because it should not have broken. The fault was not mine. When he took it apart, he polished the ports to make sure everything was flush, and since then I haven't had problems.. But I have heard other reports of dud spanish DTs, and I'm not quite convinced that the fault lies with mine and not in general.. at least in this country. Don't we have a derestricted CDI or something?

Anyway, yeah, there you have it, a tale from the dark side.

As for offroading, I have had a blast on mine, but if you've ridden bigger bikes before you might find it gutless. The only way is to try.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:
Don't we have a derestricted CDI or something?

The newer DT's are set to close the powervalve at around 8-9k rpm so the power dies off and the powerband doesnt last as long. Simply earthing a single wire stops this from happening and the powerband will carry on upto 12k+ rpm Mr. Green

ive not heard of the the CDI's having a restriction as in limiting the rpm's though.

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 16 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of the older DTs, pre-2003. Anyway, the internet is full of info on how to derestrict DTs, a lot of which is total bullshit. I've heard all kinds of things... at one point people from the UK were trying to source CDI units from other european DTs at crazy prices, not quite sure why. Neutral

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 17 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:
I was thinking of the older DTs, pre-2003. Anyway, the internet is full of info on how to derestrict DTs, a lot of which is total bullshit. I've heard all kinds of things... at one point people from the UK were trying to source CDI units from other european DTs at crazy prices, not quite sure why. Neutral

because some people belive that UK DT's have CDI restrictions and that foreign DT's were capable of reving higher because of de-restricted CDI'S.. Ive never heard of any solid fact though..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1