Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"<33bhp" enduros

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: "<33bhp" enduros Reply with quote

Hey there everyone. I hate to make you do this again, I know there are a thousand of these every day, but I need a bike. Have spent nearly 2 years on a DT 125 and it's time to upgrade as I am about to get my <33bhp license.

My situation is a bit.. irregular. OK, first of all, the conditions. It has to be:

-relatively cheap (spain/UK bike prices really vary, so you probably can't help here)
-2 stroke (alternatives considered - but they would really really really cool to convince me)
-More or less reliable (this means: not a hypertuned KTM exc125)
-restrictable for about an hour while it passes the MOT
-a nice power step above the DT

Let me explain - I want this bike for offroading, and as far as legality goes, if a cop stops me in the 10 minute time frame during which I am riding to the mountains, he has to be able to match up the <33bhp MOT paper with my <33bhp license. That's it. The problem is, I'm not sure if these 2 strokes I'm looking at can even be restricted. I'm considering a few options:

1.KTM exc/gs 250. These can be found cheap round here. Problems: passing MOT, could be too much power. My dad has one of these.. I may have to "investigate" Twisted Evil
2.gasgas ec 250. The same as above (?) but cheaper and with uglier plastics.
3.gasgas pampera 250. These are cheap and new online. Why? Is the power crappy?
3.Shoving a yamaha RD350 engine into my DT, and hoping the hypothetical cop I meet has no bike knowledge whatsoever. This is the psychotic option - so crazy it just might work Very Happy

What do you think? I was hoping to get some advice from the pros before making a choice.

Cheers!

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: "<33bhp" enduros Reply with quote

treble wrote:
Let me explain - I want this bike for offroading, and as far as legality goes, if a cop stops me in the 10 minute time frame during which I am riding to the mountains, he has to be able to match up the <33bhp MOT paper with my <33bhp license. That's it. The problem is, I'm not sure if these 2 strokes I'm looking at can even be restricted. I'm considering a few options:

Hi

There's no such thing as a <33bhp MOT paper, the MOT checks the roadworthyness of the vehicle at the time of presentation, has nothing to do with making sure your complying with your driving licence. If your stopped on the road by a police officer who suspects you to riding a derestricted bike (on a restricted licence) he could seize the bike to get the bike tested.

Can't really help you on the bike front, as I'm not too familiar with the ones you've listed, although some of the sports 250cc strokers don't take well to restriction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo, during the MOT they dyno the bike to check the power, right? And if the dyno readout is under 33bhp, then that's what's gonna show up on my MOT, and that's the first thing police check when they stop you. Unless my hypothetical police officer catches me at some silly speed, as long as the MOT checks out against my license, he will have no reason to suspect that the bike is really derestricted.

Right? I think that's the way it works, correct me if I'm wrong. I have no qualms about doing this because only a fraction of my time on the bike will be on public roads. And it's highly unlikely that I'll get stopped in the first place.

Thanks for the reply.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:
Davo, during the MOT they dyno the bike to check the power, right? And if the dyno readout is under 33bhp, then that's what's gonna show up on my MOT, and that's the first thing police check when they stop you. Unless my hypothetical police officer catches me at some silly speed, as long as the MOT checks out against my license, he will have no reason to suspect that the bike is really derestricted.

Right? I think that's the way it works, correct me if I'm wrong. I have no qualms about doing this because only a fraction of my time on the bike will be on public roads. And it's highly unlikely that I'll get stopped in the first place.

Thanks for the reply.

No they don't. There's no such thing as an official restriction document, though a company called FI International would like you to think there was. There's certainly no power testing during an MOT.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 13:52 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

They don't test the power output as part of the MOT, it is purely a test of the bike being road worthy (e.g. brakes work, etc...), it is up to licence holder to be legal. A police officer would have to impound the bike would be to impound the bike and then have it inspected.

There is no official documentation to prove the bike is below the 33bhp limit, it just has to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha? In that case, it works differently here. In fact, there are all kinds of bikes on the second hand market, usually 600s or 125s, which say "limitada en papeles" (limited on paper) which means that they did exactly what I plan to do, pass MOt with restrictors in in order to match the power to a smaller license and then take them right out afterwards.

My papers:
"Circulation" permit: general info on the bike, when it was registered, who it's currently registered to, etc.
ITV (MOT) paper: all the technical info on the bike, including power in "fiscal" horsepower and KW.

So... could we redirect the topic to the bikes, please? Mr. Green

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the MOT process differs a little in Spain. Wink

panpan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:49 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To buy insurance you will need a certificate saying that it is under 33bhp if you are not allowed to ride derestricted bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't. In fact, where I get my insurance the only thing that is a factor is the bike in question - they don't even ask your age. In any case, I will have the "restriction" on paper, on my MOT. Isn't spain great?

Again, I'd like to lead the discussion back to the bikes in question rather than the paperwork. Cheers.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:28 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

panpan wrote:
To buy insurance you will need a certificate saying that it is under 33bhp if you are not allowed to ride derestricted bikes.

Some insurance companies might ask for proof of restriction. Could be an FI International bit of paper, could be a dyno print out, could be a letter from a bike shop saying the bike's restricted, basically there is no set rule.

Of course lots of insurance companies won't ask for any proof at all. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:49 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: "<33bhp" enduros Reply with quote

Pretty much any bike can be 'restricted', especially if it's just for an MOT. So choose the bike you want, then work out how you will restrict it.

The gas gas EC and ktm EXC are pretty similar bikes.

I don't think the KTM 125 EXC /is/ that tuned, for the record. Go to the SX and it will be more so. Most 'proper' 2 stroke bike solds as enduro bikes will have fairly similar maintenance, which isn't too bad providing you don't mind throwing a bit of cash at it or spending some time on it once or twice a year.

The pampera is quite a bit down on power compared to the enduro bikes - it's half way between trials and enduro.

I suspect an RD350 engine would be a fairly poor choice for off roading as it's a bit revvy, though not as bad as the newer 250cc road bikes. Also, it probably won't make as much power as a stock EXC 300cc and definitely less low down.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLX 250/300.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 19 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi treble, Have a check on the net for specifications on the following bikes some might be close to what you want.

YAMAHA WR200/250
YAMAHA DTR200
SUZUKI RMX250
SUZUKI TS250
KAWASAKI KMX200
KAWASAKI KDX-200/220/250
HONDA CRM250

4STROKES

(my favorites)

HONDA XR250/400
SUZUKI DR350/DRZ400

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1