Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hyosung xrx 125 any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Hyosung xrx 125 any good? Reply with quote

I am looking for a first offroad bike and am not a speed fanatic . Is the hyosung xrx 125 powerful enough for offroad and a bit of slpe climbing?

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 01 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, get an old Honda tl125/ xl125
Will last a LOT longer and costs a lot less to start off with.
Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say get the XRX. it has numerous nicer bits on it than the XR/TL have, USD forks for one. They pretty much all have the rear drum, but the XRX looks the offroad business, unlike the XR which looks like a learner bike. As to whether any of them will be powerful enough for offroading, probably not.

I recommend the MZ 125 SX, I had the SM variant and did various amounts of trail riding with that, never seemed to lack strength in any situation. Plus it's german so hard as nails, won't rust away like a budget bike from any of the other offerings. Plus the French army use them when they need to retreat quickly over tough terrain Wink They are nearly three grand new (discs front & rear, decent suspension, advanced 4 valve dohc motor, KTM cooling system etc.) yet you can pick them up for less than a grand a couple of years old. My 2003 SM was a steal at £600.

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7853/mz125sxkl2.jpg

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Malta, where I live, MZ are on order only and there is no bike I can try on (no second hands either) . And to order off a catalogue it would cost me £3500 uk sterling - too much for a starter bike 125cc.

I am not l;ooking for speed I am looking for offroad capacities mostly in field trials and areas. I saw some videos on you tube but do not show any aggresive offroad. Anyone know of any other source?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGxDQeiyZKM

Just a shame you can't get that MZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVkXSBXH7w

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links however I have already seen them. Whats your point of view from these videos?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the XRX would be pretty useful offroad. How long it would last under abuse I'm not sure. I quite like them because they look a bit like proper bikes. It's down to you really, if you can get one in Malta then go for it.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:06 - 02 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an XRX125 for a couple of years, I don't regret it.

You might find that it runs out of steam fairly early, being a 4 stroke 125, but it didn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother you.

Good bike, go for it.

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only looking for 80 kms per hour speed tops. Its acceleration I a bit worried about. Any suggestions?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get any two strokes over there, say a DT125?

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but they are 10 to 15 years old . I don't want to spend money and time to repair an old bike which may or may not be good ?!

What I'm thinking is to gather experience on an xrx - as I said before I'm no speed maniac (in a good sense)

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 00:10 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

76Blade wrote:
I am only looking for 80 kms per hour speed tops. Its acceleration I a bit worried about. Any suggestions?

The XRX will be fine, the acceleration even on the XRX will beat lots of cars.

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 04 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. My rule was that if I have to get a scrambler in Malta I had to spend alot of money since 2hand scramblers are often damaged badly. So I wanted to start with something new , not that powerful and since it is my first bike didn't want to spend too much . On the other hand road bikes and customs even second hand are usaully in a mint condition since they are usually used for a sunday ride

zunkus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:54 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: XRX Reply with quote

Hi there mate, I'm also living in Malta and have got an XRX125-SM which is brilliant. Had it since July and stopped using the car ever since. If the wife doesn't use the old Fiesta the battery would have died down ages ago as did her Fiat Punto's which has gathered dust in my garage. I also have an SV650 v-twin Suzuki for Sundays which I try to keep spotless. The Hyo is the real workhorse though. Ride it through sun or rain. Totally recommend it. It could do with a little bit more power yes but I still manage to climb up to 105Kph given a good run and cars are eaten up no problem through our traffic. Its very light at under 130kg full wet so flickable and a hoot to ride. Bought mine from Benny (Cycle World) for under Lm1400 with insurance and licence paid as well.
I'm searching around for a lighter and less restricted exhaust and maybe find a slightly larger carburator like those fitted to Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki 125's. That should make the bike a bit pokier:)
I'll let you know how this gets along. By the way my brother was so impressed with the Hyo that he exchanged his Peogot 125 scooter for XRX125-SM too. The SM is the supermoto styled XRX with rear disc brake and twin overhead cam. Look me up if you meet me at Golden Bay on a sunday mate. I'm usually there around 10 in the morning on a candy blue SV650. SIlver rossi helmet. C Ya!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:14 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

76Blade wrote:
Yes but they are 10 to 15 years old . I don't want to spend money and time to repair an old bike which may or may not be good ?!

What I'm thinking is to gather experience on an xrx - as I said before I'm no speed maniac (in a good sense)

But you'll happily spend money on a more expensive new bike?

Given the choice, if you're happy to spend the money, I'd get a DT or similar, then take it to a mechanic to get it well serviced, maybe a minor rebuild. You should still spend less and have a better bike.

On my CRM125 (2 stroke) I was able to keep up off-road with people on 250s (2 stroke and 4 stroke), not sure I'd have been able to on a 4 stroke.

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main aim is a honda 600 dirt bike new but is a little too much for a first bike. Am not expecting alot of performance from the hyosung - just enough to gain experience and in the future use it as an everday bike

zunkus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:00 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from me mate, I've got both a 650cc and the Hyo, speed trills aside the Hyo is a better trill to ride. Hate to admit it as I love the SV650 to bits, the noise, the power (0-60mph in 3.2sec) but the joy of canning a low power bike to its limits is brill. For the Maltese roads it's the better bike. As you said its new, low priced, upside down forks which work great, a modern dual cam single which came from the same designers/engineers at Suzuki and you've got a year's guarantee. Try to top that with an old heck which you wouldn't know its history and in what state it was ridden or maintained. I was also tempted to buy second hand but the above reasoning ruled it out. Oh, I've got nothing to gain from you buying Hyosung but I think it's the best buy at the moment in its price bracket.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:49 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

76Blade wrote:
My main aim is a honda 600 dirt bike new but is a little too much for a first bike. Am not expecting alot of performance from the hyosung - just enough to gain experience and in the future use it as an everday bike

Well, it's your money which get quite seriously devalued (I presume) buying new.

zunkos wrote:
Try to top that with an old heck which you wouldn't know its history and in what state it was ridden or maintained. I was also tempted to buy second hand but the above reasoning ruled it out.

Can you be sure the person who assembled it put it together well?
Or, in fact, that the factory did? I've seen plenty of people have plenty of fairly big problems with the comet.
Buying second hand usually means that any /serious/ problems have been resolved.

76Blade
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devaluation is a true fact . When it comes to a serious bike I would shift to Honda and Yamaha and Kawasaki. Second hand bikes are a good bargain but have seen a few friends who bought second hand who had some hard time due to defects that the seller wouldn't admit that he sold you a defective bike - which in a case led to an injury.

Bottom line new bikes are covered with guarantee and everything is new and no alterations are made.

Also I find it a prestige to be the first to ride the bike as I consider it to be something personal.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:20 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

76Blade wrote:

Bottom line new bikes are covered with guarantee and everything is new and no alterations are made.

Also I find it a prestige to be the first to ride the bike as I consider it to be something personal.

Guarantee may well not include a bike used off-road.

If you're willing to pay extra to be the first owner and you think the money you're paying is worth it, fair enough.
Personally, I'd prefer to pay less to get a better bike, but I appreciate everyone's different Smile.

zunkus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:51 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong G, I agree with your reasoning that if you find a sound second hand bike of a good make may make a better choice to some extent. I'll be more agreable especially if you know the previous owner to be a careful one and that he serviced his bike regularly. But you may be a little mistaken to judge the new Korean bikes as not so's. I researched a bit on Hyosung before buying as I like you was a bit sceptical to buy Korean. Met some XRX owners who say they're great for the road but have not that much oomph for serious offroad use. Sure the welds on the frame aren't as nice as the Jap bikes but the engine and other components seem sound enough. I also learned that Hyosung were the factory responsible for making the small bikes for Suzuki in the past. If that doesn't start to change one's opinion nothing will. I've taken a good look at the new sv650 competitor from Hyosung the GT650R and apart from the cheap looking plastic everything else looks great. Nice frame too. Very soon now these guys will start stealing sales from the top four Japs mark my words.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:05 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

zunkus wrote:
Very soon now these guys will start stealing sales from the top four Japs mark my words.

They already are with the comet; oddly it seems because of what would traditionally be considered a poor design (a big, heavy bike) and a price tag to go along.

I had big hopes for the 650 when it was mentioned years ago; I was hoping that it would be a proper budget bike with Jap performance.
Instead we seem to have got slightly substandard performance with a price tag that's only slightly lower to match.

I'm not specifically trying to downplay the XRX as I would normally the comet, because I don't know the details about the XRX.
My comments were in general for 2stroke vs 4stroke 125s - and would be the same for other 4 stroke 125s.

zunkus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:41 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm sorry to be a pain in the neck but the Hyosung 650 V twin engine performance is slightly better than the SV650. It was also made and designed by the same engineers that did the SV engine. They simply changed ship! I'm being a traitor here as I own an SV650 but that's the truth.
Yes the 2 stroke bikes are super and I love them to bits, lighter and simpler designs who are twice as much powerful as their 4 stroke equivalent. Then again they are harder to maintain and dirtier. Always a tradeoff I'm afraid.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:57 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the 650s I was talking overall performance; ie handling, brakes; the whole package. I thought engine performance was about the same.

Wouldn't say 2 strokes are harder to maintain - they need minor rebuilds with some regularity, but then 4 strokes need valves doing which can be quite nasty, camchains occasionaly etc.
However, they generally can take less abuse (ie being thrashed from cold) before dieing.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 29 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyosung 650 has about 10 hp on the Suzuki 650. Still uses carbs as far as I'm aware, so performance elsewhere in the rev range may be lagging on the Hyosung.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2