Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Special notes on log book? (question added first post)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Special notes on log book? (question added first post) Reply with quote

I have just got the log book returned for my GPZ 500 that I bought a couple of weeks ago.

It has two special notes on it.

1) NON-TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION MARK.

2) WAS REGISTERED AND/OR USED. DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1990

Thats it word for word, I have never noticed this on a log book before.

Anyone know what it means or why its there?
Or is it normal and just something I have never noticed with other bikes/cars?

Cheers

Andy

EDIT.............If the bike is an import I take it that means the MPH clocks are not original and therefore the milage cannot be relied upon?

Last edited by thegubner on 12:09 - 28 Mar 2008; edited 1 time in total

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the first one mean the reg plate is for that frame, and and the second one means it was preregistered?

On my fiesta's v5, haven't checked the bandit one.

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it means you cant sell the reg no and put it on a another vehicle.

I've not got my logbook with me but I think the second one is put on when a vehicle is imported. What is the date of 1st registration?

Does it not say WAS REGISTERED AND/OR USED OVERSEAS . DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1990

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, it also says inside for the engine number.

NOT STATED.

But it has a frame number.

I have an odd feeling about this.

EDIT, DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION 1997.

Thats not bad for a G reg. Shocked

Fucking import?

Last edited by thegubner on 11:44 - 28 Mar 2008; edited 1 time in total

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having an engine number on the V5 is quite normal.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I am now thinking of taking it back to him.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:50 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The DVLA don't really care about the engine number, and on an import you would have to put it on the forms yourself.

I think the bit about a non transferrable plate is because it is an age related plate issued at a later date (ie, issued when the bike was UK registered rather than when it was new). However only really noticed that being done on far older age related plates (eg, 1960s and older when the plates did not refer to a year).

All the best

Keith

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my (admittedly fairly limited and mostly second-hand) knowledge I would say that rather than an import there you have got yourself a written-off bike that has been re-registered.

Most likely scenario would be a stolen recovered where they have been unable to identify the previous reg from the frame number (the DVLA seem to have a real bug about this on older bikes, you'd kinda think it would all be on one big database but it seems not) so have re-registered it on an age-related.

The other option would be where someone has built the bike on the same frame but using bits sourced from elsewhere and had to have it inspected before re-registering (although that would be more likely to go on a q-plate than an age-related I think)

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) NON-TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION MARK.

- i dunno what this is but my car one also says this. maybe its just to stop people selling original registration marks.

2) WAS REGISTERED AND/OR USED. DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1990

- usually on imports where its been used overseas then registered when it arrives here. registered in uk in 97 but manufactured in 90 gives its a 90 age related plate.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

try finding out some info on the frame number or reg

https://www.motorcycle.co.uk/buying/motorcycle_data_check.html

there are probebly others including the dvla site
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir_K3 wrote:
WAS REGISTERED AND/OR USED. DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1990

- usually on imports where its been used overseas then registered when it arrives here. registered in uk in 97 but manufactured in 90 gives its a 90 age related plate.

I disagree. On imports it usually says "previously registered overseas" - has done on all 4 of mine anyway. I still maintain it's a bike that has been re-registered for another reason, and the most likely reason is that it's either a "bitsa" or a stolen recovered.

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK if you permanently bring a vehicle from NI over to mainland UK you have to register it with the DVLA and you have the option of keeping the NI plate or requesting an age related plate.

One of my Freccias was originally registered in NI and has the same notes on the V5c.

Zenarchy
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
I disagree. On imports it usually says "previously registered overseas" - has done on all 4 of mine anyway. I still maintain it's a bike that has been re-registered for another reason, and the most likely reason is that it's either a "bitsa" or a stolen recovered.

I don't know about the last bit myself, but you seem to be right about the first bit for imports. I just had a look at my log book for my bike, which is an Italian import and the wording reads:

"WAS REGISTERED / USED OVERSEAS. DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1990".

It looks like mine was first registered in this country in 2001, if that's any help.

Perhaps another option could be that the wording they use has changed?

Not saying you're wrong, but I thought if it had been a write off at any point that would be mentioned somewhere on the V5? Or if you're really worried about that perhaps you could run a HPI check on it (which I think tells you if it's been a write off at any stage as well).

There's a website : https://www.motinfo.gov.uk/ where you can check the MOT history of a bike. I can't remember if it tells you the milage at each MOT but it might be worth a look if you're not sure of the milage being genuine. Might give you some clues (if they give that info - though if not calling them might help perhaps? - I know the milage is recorded at each MOT so they probably have it on record somewhere).

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the help, seems its no drama at least.

Cheers, karma will be given when the robot thing or whatever it is lets me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1