Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 21 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettostan wrote:

are you sure?

i ride mine normal most of the time, chaging gears when it reaches around 6000rpm any higher than that on mine would hit the powerband ? but still i have to refill every 70/75 ?

and around 90/95 with reserve

i have a DT125 R 2001 by the way

I get about 50-60miles out of a £5. I know cos Ive had my bike for 18 months, ride it daily and I know exactly how far I can go on how much fuel.

I have derestricted it and have a full big one exhaust system. Change gear at around 7-8k rpm (just as you feel the powerband kick in) and occasionally thrash it..

If your wondering why I dont fill the tank up..... image how much extra weight 7L would be Wink

anyone getting <100 miles out of a full tank must be constantly thrashing their lil engine. Ive always had 100+ miles out of a tank before having to switch to reserve which gets me another 30 miles.

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I derestricted my TDR125 (same engine as the DT) I had to change the rear wheel sprocket as well. Otherwise it just redlined as soon as I went above 70mph.

A rear wheel sprocket with 3 or 4 less teeth allowed 85mph at 10,000 rpm. Powervalve was fixed, larger main jet was fitted, full arrow exhaust was bolted on and dynatech fibre reeds were installed. YEIS and air filter were left standard.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:16 - 26 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did u get the smaller rear sprockets?. Ive only ever found smaller/bigger front sprockets...

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:11 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this thread

i have a 1998 dt125r , fully restricted , does about 65 with me on it

im wanting to get it fully de restricted

any advice on what i need to do exactly ?

i dont know anything about bikes and only had it a few weeks, can i do the speedo wire trick ? will that help ?

please advise ,thanks Very Happy

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaha dt125r deristriction guide.pdf.pdf - 6.34MB

polsta wrote:

Serously m8,you have been given all the info you need about 5 times be me alone,yet your still asking for instructions.
I give you pics,and full written articles on how to do it,theres even a link to the info needed in this very thread Rolling Eyes ...

How many times do you want it explained....

Confused

Edit: updated the download link for the manual.

Last edited by ---- on 17:48 - 12 Mar 2009; edited 1 time in total

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:10 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate, but../.all you mentioned was de restricting the front pipe,and said you needed to cut it in half to do it, on that site there, they mention nothing about that, and just mention taking the metal bit out via using a dremmel to remove the 3 weld spots

the talk in this thread is for latter models ?

some say do this, some say dont do that coz it does this or looses this, its all a bit confusing !!

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtr.net wrote:
The later model DTR's have got the following restrictions fitted:

Exhaust restrictors (Front Pipe).
Speedo restriction (limits the revs when bike hits 60MPH).
Inlet manifold restricted.

Removing Exhaust restrictors

Removing the restrictors on a bike from '99 onwards is a bit more involved than for older model bikes.
The exhaust needs cutting in half at the largest place along the welding seem.

Or Click HERE to read it yourself...

Come on m8,get with the programme.... Laughing

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the wire de-restriction is on the 04 onwards model bike only.....(info also available on the site in this thread)

dt125.net wrote:
Going into the speedo is a four pin connecting block. There are 4 wires going into the block and only 3 wires coming out the speedo side. Just find the Green/Black wire going into the block, clip it to separate it from the block, and strip the end and join a small piece of wire to it (long enough to to join to an earth on the frame). When the Green/Black wire is earthed to the frame this stops the YPVS from retarding over 7000 RPM. The engine should rev freely now.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:59 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:

Or Click HERE to read it yourself...

Come on m8,get with the programme.... Laughing

Laughing you get with the programme mate,mines a 1998 Laughing , im pretty sure i just have to take the exhaust off,and remove the 3 weld spots and remove that bit...NOT cut the exhaust up ???

from the site ....
[/url]https://www.dtr125.net/tuningf.htm[url] (click 97-99 models)

The exhaust on '89 to '98 models have a small piece of pipe welded into the flange end, which can be removed by using a DREMEL to cut the three welding seems.
[/url]

Last edited by Polsta on 22:21 - 10 Apr 2008; edited 1 time in total

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Polsta wrote:
just found this thread

i have a 1998 dt125r , fully restricted , does about 65 with me on it

im wanting to get it fully de restricted

any advice on what i need to do exactly ?

i dont know anything about bikes and only had it a few weeks, can i do the speedo wire trick ? will that help ?

please advise ,thanks Very Happy

Old shape DTR's have the powervalve wedged shut and no operating mechanism. The cheap arse way to derestrict is to take the exhaust off, slacken the valve and turn it till it aligns with the top of the exhaust port, then lock it up. Makes the bike peaky as hell and also may require rejetting in some instances.

so is that ALL i have to do to sort a 1998 dtr ? , just remove the exhaust bit with the 3 weld spots, then slacken and line up the power valve ? ,and theres NO wire earth bit or nothing at the speedo end to do ??

im just trying to get 100% exact about what i have to do to a 98, ive got a mate whos gonna help me , he nows about bikes,but not about dt`s ,so i just gotta have all instructions ready and clear about what we have to do

thanks folks Very Happy
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:40 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would i know if i needed to upjet or not ? and how do i go about doing it ?

thanks mate

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polsta wrote:

Laughing you get with the programme mate,mines a 1998 Laughing , im pretty sure i just have to take the exhaust off,and remove the 3 weld spots and remove that bit...NOT cut the exhaust up ???

from the site ....
[/url]https://www.dtr125.net/tuningf.htm[url] (click 97-99 models)

The exhaust on '89 to '98 models have a small piece of pipe welded into the flange end, which can be removed by using a DREMEL to cut the three welding seems.
[/url]

So there you go!!! you looked at the site and corrected me,so you allready know what to do.

Thumbs Up

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:16 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

so thats all i gotta do ? remove that and line up the valve ?

so what will that give me exactly ? more top end and make it a quicker/more peaky and rev freely past 8k ? (as it wont rev past 8 at the moment)

would there be a lot of difference between the standard exhaust with that removed,and a dep ?

and is a dep rear silencer just look better/different sound,and no performance increase ?

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:25 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:

You perform a plug chop under load.

Then if it shows you are a bit lean you swop the main jet in the carb for a bigger one untill your plug chops show a nice biscuit brown colour.

so how much is a bigger jet and where from ? and what size would i buy ? Question

thanks mate

zetecy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:35 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT125SM wrote:
Howdy guys Very Happy

I have read this post with great interest.

My friend has a 2006 Yamaha DT125X SM.

I had a go on it and it was no where near as quick as the 1990 DT125R I had back in the day.

So today we de-restricted it bu cutting the green/brown wire and by adding more wire we rigged it up to the negative terminal of the battery.

Also we took off the airbox snorkel completley.

The result ? sounded deeper when the bike started, pulling off it wants to bog down, defo sounds better but might put the snorkel back on at least until he can get a K&N air filter in there.

We took the bike to a LONG duel carridgeway to see what we could get top speed... and the most we could get outta it ...

78mph ... Rolling Eyes

Now my old DT125R went off the clock at 85mph so how come this one is only gettin 78mph ?

Is there anything else we can do to it guys to make it quicker and a better top end ? or are these the only two mods available for his 06 model.

Oh its got a DEP sport exhaust on it too.

Many thanks.

Matt Smile

hi mate, i know you say your friend has a DT125X and you say that it was derestricted by "So today we de-restricted it bu cutting the green/brown wire and by adding more wire we rigged it up to the negative terminal of the battery."

My bike is a 2004 DT125RE and its completely stock and i want to derestrict aswell...

However, quoting from DTR125.NET it says

"The DT125RE/DT125X doesn't have the reedswitch restriction that the '00-'03 models had."

So? what shall i do lol?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

zetecy wrote:

So? what shall i do lol?

Try reading the rest of the info on dtr125.net Rolling Eyes

zetecy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:
zetecy wrote:

So? what shall i do lol?

Try reading the rest of the info on dtr125.net Rolling Eyes

i have! but for the 04 models and onwards it says

.Exhaust
.Intake manifold
.Snorkle

which is fair enough!

But as i quote someone on here saying

"My friend has a 2006 Yamaha DT125X SM.

So today we de-restricted it bu cutting the green/brown wire and by adding more wire we rigged it up to the negative terminal of the battery. "

on dtr125.net it does not justify this mod for 04 onwards!!! thats what im asking Very Happy Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm yes it does!!

Try reading the page properly....

dtr125.net wrote:
Going into the speedo is a four pin connecting block. There are 4 wires going into the block and only 3 wires coming out the speedo side. Just find the Green/Black wire going into the block, clip it to separate it from the block, and strip the end and join a small piece of wire to it (long enough to to join to an earth on the frame). When the Green/Black wire is earthed to the frame this stops the YPVS from retarding over 7000 RPM. The engine should rev freely now.

Click here then scroll to the bottom of the page.. Wink

zetecy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:
Erm yes it does!!

Try reading the page properly....

dtr125.net wrote:

Click here then scroll to the bottom of the page.. Wink

my bad lol sorry as soon as i read the top of the page where it says
"The DT125RE/DT125X doesn't have the reedswitch restriction that the '00-'03 models had." i instantly thought that was to do with striping/earthing that wire. hehe

Just off to get an M.O.T hopefully it passes then im going to speed home and do that and let the dt enthusiasts know how i got on!

thanks for now!

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thumbs Up

You will notice a huge difference when it's de-restricted Thumbs Up

zetecy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:55 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:
Laughing Thumbs Up

You will notice a huge difference when it's de-restricted Thumbs Up

yes yes! passed mot nothing needed doing Very Happy
straight home earthed the wire to a bolt near the front of the bike.

warmed her up 10mins, then let loose! its nice and rapid, power band stays to the max rpm of gear, no more early shifting :p .
ive done 80 miles just pinning the throttle lol needs a good sleep now!
i could hear a big roar, looked in my mirror and there was a offroad bike with orange fork corvers n i thought hmm ktm, so i droped a gear, nailed it, just to give him some smoke lol. we stopped at the lights and he said its a full off road ktm 125 but has got the bare minimum for road legal. This thing was sooo loud lol every1 was turning around on the street. Even though mine still has the standard exhaust i didnt do too badly against him.
he was shifting very quickly, where as I was holding on the gear for a bit longer which i think helped me not to get too far behind.
from standstill at the lights to about 60mph i would say i was about 10-12meters behind Very Happy
was so fun tho (lots of speeding hehe) all i need now is a dep!

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 12 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

zetecy wrote:
all i need now is a dep!

I noticed a difference going from the stock pipe to a Bigone and ive ridden a same year as mine with a DEP and the dep was quicker (slightly). Im wondering if the 04 had restricted front pipes but the 05 or 06 onwards have derestricted front pipes? maybe cos the 04 with a restricted front was too slow? I dunno. There were alot of complaints over performance when it came out...

Should be a bloody haynes manual for these DT125RE/X's soon. Dealer told me it takes them 3 years from when the bike was first produced. Mines an 04 and one of the first.. we are in 2008 now Rolling Eyes. In the haynes manual for the earlier bikes it tells you all the differences of the bikes through the years. Would be interesting to see what the differences are on the newer 06/07's over the 04/05's. I know the newer ones have a better looking rear disc, caliper mount and guard
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3