BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Greenlaning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Greenlaning Reply with quote

Has anyone been greenlaning around the Saracens Rugby club near Cribbs Causeway? Also on the way to Severn beach via Easter Compton way? There's a wealth of green lanes and also a little track with some humps and tight corners. I went up there on Sunday however I'm unaware of the legality of this

I did see some other riders at Severn beach way with one on a mighty Cr500 but I couldn't catch up with him to ask, lol. I'd also need to get some dirt treads as the knobblies I've got on my DT at the moment dont do anything except spin in the dirt, haha. It was wicked fun though and my first little taster of greenlaning/off-roading.

Thanks for your time,
Jack

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:42 - 08 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a bristolian. Gimme an email gaz@gaz-racing.co.uk I need a green laning buddy around Bristol.

Get hold of an OS map aswell, that'll show proper, legal, green lanes.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I last posted I've been up there a fair few more times and there's quite a few people who go up there (in the main they seemed to be a mixture of fucked up stolen bikes ~70% and ~20% 'proper' crossers). Spoke to this kiddie that I knew from around my way when I was younger. He told me the do's and don'ts concerning greenlaning around that area.

The main thing to watch out for is gypsies, then tend to be in 4x4's and will attempt to steal your bike. If they come then get on, don't stop to talk/fight because you will lose your bike and/or legs. My friend told me of two lads getting kicked off their 07 yz125's.

Also don't go too close to the warehouses over Avonmouth way, as its attracts unecessary attention.

Despite all this, its a really good place to ride and long as you keep your wits about, you'll be fine. My friend came along on his 2004 kx125 which he's rode on the Brecon Beacons (really good place to ride) and he loved the Cribbs causeway lanes.

It consists of a mix of gravel trials, humps, jumps, bumps and some 'hill climbs'. Although I've never been off-roading I had a wicked time and would go there again. However my Dt125r is way way wat out of its depth there; also its my commuting bike and I wouldn't want it to get smashed up as a result of dropping it. So I'm not going to take it there again, instead a need to get myself something more suited to those conditions, but I ideally it'd be road legal (no access to a trailer), cheap (student) and 2 stroke (fun).

I was thinking of an old yz125/250? What you reckon of these bikes?

Would it be difficult/expensive for me to convert an old bike to make it road legal? (I'd be able to do the work myself/help from friends).

Also Gaz, you're welcome to come along anytime, I usually go in the week (quiet) or Sundays. However until my exams are finished (21st May Razz ) I won't be going. Also I really need to get myself a 'proper bike' but I find it hard to justify having 2 let alone 3 when I'm a student, haha. Also I need to spend some money on getting the rg125f on the road, so maybe once that's sold I'll have some cash to spend.

Ta,
Jack

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 16:49 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You at UWE? It doesn't sound all that fun, with pikeys etc!

Mine's only a 4t 250, probably similar power to a 2t 125 tbh.

Join bristolbikers.co.uk

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have painted a rough picture but its honestly really good fun up there. Got any other recommendations on where to go? Apparently there is some really good places around Dundry/Hartcliffe way which I'll be investigating at a later date.

I'd like to get a more suited bike for offroading though, last time mid-way through a bumps section my metal pettie tank hit me in the balls soooo hard and I had to continue the 2nd (rougher) half of section with broken balls, it was either that or crop it.
When I had a go on my mates kx it was like a whole different world, the bike was a monster (comparatively) and handled everything thrown at it with ease (within my limited ability).

Yeah I'm at UWE, in my 2nd year reading for a Ba in Geography which is in mostly Q block. You'll see me around Car park 1 with my DT.

Will join Bristol bikers soonish.

Ta,
Jack

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:29 - 09 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, another one who enjoys colouring in.

I'm a 3rd year living on campus. My KLR sits out the back of Q block, used to have a very loud SRAD aswell you might have seen around. Blue and white one.

Yeah, join up to bristolbikers and give me a shout. I'll be back in bristol in a couple of weeks.

Gaz

Max77
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 Apr 2008    Post subject: south lanes Reply with quote

Hi,
we do the lanes between chew valley/mendips and around south of Bath.
were out most sundays if you fancy joining in.
we start at Keynsham cafe (reast-a-wail) then onto bath, stop for a cupa at the Englishcombe practice track, then lane our way towards chew valley or on the mendips.
great lanes, one river Smile

check out the pics/videos at

www.bobtrotter.co.uk

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the invite Max,

It looks mint! I can't wait to join you lot on a ride out! I just need to get myself a decent bike Embarassed. I can't put the DT through the battering it will receive whilst laning as I need it to commute on.

Hopefully by the end of the summer I would have worked and saved enough to buy another bike. Also I should have the rg125f built and sold by then which will release some funds.

However until then it'll be borrowed goes on mates bikes up pikeysville, cribbs causeway haha.

Not sure what to get though, was thinking of something older (cheaper to buy and insure). But something relatively powerful with a low capacity of around 125-250cc (2stroke) and something easy to source parts for. I was thinking of a yz125/250 as I've seen older ones going for pretty cheap.

Any reccomendations? What do people think of the older (late 80s/early 90s) yz's?

Thanks again,
Jack
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1