Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Taking on a first project bike, thoughts and advice plz

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

AN GOF.
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Taking on a first project bike, thoughts and advice plz Reply with quote

ive had my eye on a bike thats been parked outside some flats for at least a couple of years. Pinned a note to it about 6 months ago and have just got in touch with the owner.
He has the V5 and i can have the bike for £80, it was running when left 2 years ago but had run out of MOT and the owner is a laug haul fisherman so he didnt bother doing anything about it and its just sat there.
It has been sat in the full face of the atlantic ocean for those 2 years as you can see in the final photo which is taken where the bike stands.
No money has changed hands yet so id like some thoughts on if its worth taking on etc.
All i know is that its got Suzuki on the seat. I realy want a good project to get my teeth into but have limited mech knowledge atm ( hence the reason to try and take on a project to greatly increase my knowledge and skills). I have been servicing my current 600cc bike and have done lots of work on old minis in my youth but have never takin on engine removal and rebuild etc

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/PIC0002Small.jpg

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/number.jpg

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/PIC0005Small.jpg

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/PIC0006Small.jpg

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/PIC0007Small.jpg

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/PIC0008Small.jpg

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa124/angof/project%20bike/PIC0009Small.jpg

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a GS550 to me? I may be wrong on that though. As far as projects go I'm not to sure about this one first project or not. If it is a GS550 they are supposed to be a rock solid engine, I believe that what nath on this forum has one, and he did a 20,000 mile trip round europe on it Shocked
However, it looks pretty damn corroded, I think there are better project out there for 80 quid. All that salt air will have ruined nuts and bolts making them a nightmare to get out. Calipers look beyond repair too. I would steer clear myself but I am no expert, far from it. Projects are fun though so good luck what ever you choose to do Thumbs Up

Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks like a 550 suzi,(modded) although all is not lost, ask him to give it a good home and give it to you, otherwise you will indeed have a real challenge on your hands due to everything the sea air has done to it, it could possibly be used as spares, maybe only just, it`s your decision, have a go and think very carefully about this one!! Thumbs Up Sad Sad -Jockey.

J.K.R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said the salts pretty much killed it. Bolts/Screws will be shearing and chewing heads up left, Right and centre.

Sorry to put a damper on the project like, Not worth £80 IMO. Theres not much that isnt going to need to be replaced or seriously refurbished Sad

Would gather a bit more cash and wait for something thats not been outside like that, Would say stick with the old suzuki's though Thumbs Up

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will be lucky if the wheels arent dead, now worth 80 in that situation,

Btw nath has a honda cb550/4.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, sweet bike though!

AN GOF.
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the solid advice ppl Thumbs Up I will give it a miss and buy another 70/80`s GS550 and rat it up Cool

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a GS550L as far as I can tell, and it's also fucked as far as I can tell. The engines are supposedly indestructible though!

Please don't "rat up" a tidy/ original GS550 though, decent original ones are getting harder to find now. By all means buy a tatty one and rat that though- that's something I quite fancy doing myself.

I'm a big fan of these bikes, so make sure you keep us (me!) posted.

Of course if you can get the bike pictured for a case of beer or something it might be worth it for spares- you could use most the bits on it without any further modification on a rat project, it comes pre- ratted!

sunnydevon-2008
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:22 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live right next to the sea and i had an old cb 250 to do up but never got round to it and that was still fine after it had been stood for 3 years.most of it was just bad surface rust

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try and knock him down to £50. Afterall if it does go tits up you won't have lost much money.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1