Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My GPZ multiplied...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:52 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: My GPZ multiplied... Reply with quote

Hi people

I haven't been around since september last year as I lost my job, lost my flat & then after some trouble with the wheel bearings on my bike (having put the back in the wrong order) my family convinced me to put the bike in the garden for the winter Sad

Anyway, the hot weather has arrived and my GPZ500 has made the long and grueling journey from the back garden into the front garden Thumbs Up

I also saw a non runner GPZ on ebay for £150 which I bought for doner parts to replace the horrible and badly made skidmarx top fairing I fitted after a crash.

I've stripped off the top fairing, belly-pan & little grill that covers the radiator (mine had gone missing in the course of it's life!). The question is what to do next with the doner bike.
It starts first touch of the button, runs very smooth, the only problem is the front wheel is stiff to turn (might be bent or might be a seized calliper.

Will I get much for parts on ebay or would it be worth me fitting some chrome clocks, front headlight & matching indicators & selling it with a years MOT?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:16 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Re: My GPZ multiplied... Reply with quote

duncanpage wrote:
,..what to do next with the doner bike...

First option is go for the easiest solution which s to sell on eBay as is as a streetfighter project. If you're lucky will get back what you paid as gone from non-runner to runner in need of cosmetic tweaks.

Second option of making good and selling is also very good if you have the time, money and inclination as a MOT'd, road legal running machine will be worth a lot more.

IMO don't bother stripping/breaking and putting the individual bits on eBay as the trips to the post office, postage costs, packing and possible hassle from buyers isn't worth it (but that's just me).

Just my thoughts as you asked for ideas Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:23 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're right there.
I can't be doing with many trips to the post office, plus I don't have much packaging material.
I'm tempted to fit the chrome light, mirrors, indicators & clocks & MOT it, perhaps use it as a 2nd bike & advertise it.

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

Only problem is it's a matter of taste when streetfightering a bike. Think if I make sure it's tidy it'll be ok.
Also it'll be tough to make a fibreglass cover for the coils & expansion bottle. Can't leave them out in the open.
Any idea's where I can get colour matched paint from?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

duncanpage wrote:
...Any idea's where I can get colour matched paint from?

Try R.S. Motorcycle Paint - expensive but good, call them with what you want.

or try Bike Colours.
Not used these but seen at Rufforth bike jumble and seem ok.
Has a 'phone number on the site too for contact.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daz_d_biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:52 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advise 'Bike Colours' all day long. My dad has used them for paint for all of his restorations. They do some awsome candy paint too Laughing

Cheers, Daz.

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 14 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the bikie to your lass, get her to do a test (If she doesnt already ride)

IT'd be a nice way of keeping another gpz in the family!
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 14 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalforever wrote:
Give the bikie to your lass, get her to do a test (If she doesnt already ride)

IT'd be a nice way of keeping another gpz in the family!

I tried that one!

While she's more than happy to ride on the back & she's certainly the best pillion I've ever taken on a bike (better than some riders in fact) she doesn't trust herself on a bike & refuses to ride it herself.

Her dad had a very bad accident that almost killed him when she was 14 & it took me months to get her on the back of my bike!

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wey, get her to do a CBT and just see Wink

I'm gonna do the same for my lass next summer, its worked for so many Very Happy

If not i'd say make it as standard as possible, without spending much money, and ebay it before summers out
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:48 - 14 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd get the doner bike road worthy for as little money as possible. Cheap headlight, fix the sticking front caliper (bet that's what the stiff wheel is). MOT and tax it. Sell it for £500.

Gaz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1