Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scooter problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

cityflyer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:28 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Scooter problems Reply with quote

Can you help? I dont know much about bikes but I have a 50cc 2 stroke Honda scooter which has run ok for a while, but if i run at full power for a period of time, it will cough and splutter - I give it a 30 second rest then its fine.

Then the other day, it coughed and spluttered and died (luckily 50 yards from destination). It seemed to start OK, but wouldnt rev much and lots of white / grey fuel smelling smoke came out of the exhaust, it also has no power at all. Checked the spark plug and it was wet and smelled oil petrol.

I topped up the oil up and this morning, it seemed to be OK (didnt have time to ride it) and was reving but still lots of smoke.

So, it could be that it died the other day because it was low on oil (oil light has never come on), but I dont know if that would cause it to do this. Any ideas as to what could be wrong with it, is it serious (worried I may have badly damaged it)

Thanks for your help..

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem of it running then cutting out and starting 30 seconds later sounds like blocked breather. As far as I know, on scooter it's just a small hole in the top of the fuel cap. Check there's no crap in it Thumbs Up

Smoke will come out of the exhaudt when you first start it up because it's a 2 stroke. On my scooter it disappears when it's warm.

cityflyer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:20 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip - will check out the fuel cap and clean it out.

There was always a bit of smoke when it was cold, but I have just taken it for a quick ride in the car park and power is eratic and lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust - huge amounts of white smoke that worried it might be a danger to other road users!

Cheers

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cityflyer wrote:
huge amounts of white smoke that worried it might be a danger to other road users!

Cheers

You haven't seen my RX-S have you Laughing

cal91
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:15 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
cityflyer wrote:
huge amounts of white smoke that worried it might be a danger to other road users!

Cheers

You haven't seen my RX-S have you Laughing

Or my TZR 50 Laughing
I can make more smoke come out my exhaust than an old double decker bus can Very Happy (only when cold obv)
Now i can see why the EU is trying to put restrictions on 2 strokes!

cal Thumbs Up

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cal91 wrote:
Now i can see why the EU is trying to put restrictions on 2 strokes!

It's still the greatest engine ever designed.

mackrilld
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:44 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL when my dt 125 is cold and have it on choke it chucks smoke out every were lol and when i pull of you can only just see are car lol but once its warm its fine .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

2stroke/oil smoke = blue smoke
water = white smoke

if it really is white youve got a nice problem something like head gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutton wrote:
water = white smoke

*Cough* steam *Cough* Wink

EDIT: To be honest white smoke can be 2 stroke too. My RX-S' smoke is more white than blue but it's definately not water as it's air cooled.

You're probably right though Tutton, could be head gasket Thumbs Up

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blue smoke is primarily from internal engine wear. If it's constant when the engine is on, then the rings etc are worn and need to be replaced. If it only is blue when the engine is cold or first started, the rings are worn but not gone completely. You get the oil seeping during the night and it burns off when the car is started in the morning. a exception to this is vechiles which natually burn oil during combustion such as 2stroke engines.

Black smoke is a fuel/air mixture suggestion problems with injection or carburation. Cause of black smoke is due to running rich in the fuel air mix.

White smoke can and DOES come from coolant burn off in the oil due to a leaking or blown head gasket, cracked head etc.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutton wrote:
Quote:
Blue smoke is primarily from internal engine wear. If it's constant when the engine is on, then the rings etc are worn and need to be replaced. If it only is blue when the engine is cold or first started, the rings are worn but not gone completely. You get the oil seeping during the night and it burns off when the car is started in the morning. a exception to this is vechiles which natually burn oil during combustion such as 2stroke engines.

Black smoke is a fuel/air mixture suggestion problems with injection or carburation. Cause of black smoke is due to running rich in the fuel air mix.

White smoke can and DOES come from coolant burn off in the oil due to a leaking or blown head gasket, cracked head etc.

You said water, not coolant. Two different things.

If water was getting into the combustion chamber it would be creating steam, if coolant gets into the combustion chamber it burns and creates white smoke. It's impossible to burn water. It's Different with coolant as it is flammable. Water is definately not flammable.

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bikes if watercooled have some coolant in, not just water.
Otherwise itd cock up in winter time with no antifreeze in it.
but steam or coolant its still a fluid leak from the cooling system.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutton wrote:
Most bikes if watercooled have some coolant in, not just water.

You never said that. You just said 'water = white smoke'. If you had said 'coolant = white smoke' I wouldn't have posted. Plus if most of the liquid in the cooling system is water there's going to be more steam than smoke.

tutton wrote:
Otherwise itd cock up in winter time with no antifreeze in it.
but steam or coolant its still a fluid leak from the cooling system.

Yeah I know that. I agreed with you about the gasket leaking.

To the OP, has your fluid level gone down in your radiator?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1