Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha single project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

petemell
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:22 - 22 Jun 2008    Post subject: Yamaha single project. Reply with quote

This is my Yam SRX 400 mono I got recently. I took a bit of a chance as it is a none runner, it looks in pretty good nick though. I have an idea the carbs may be a bit faulty, possibly diaphrams.

Giving it a thorough once over and getting the carbs overhauled.

Last edited by petemell on 12:33 - 17 May 2009; edited 3 times in total

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:25 - 23 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

she does look lovely, I'm liking the exhaust Thumbs Up

How much did you pay for her?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

petemell
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:00 - 23 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust is the worrying bit, downpipes are stainless, the collector looks ok, have heard they don't last long though.

Last edited by petemell on 11:27 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 2 times in total

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's really nice that! I reckon it'd look awesome if it had an indentical exhaust on the other side!

My favourite part is the tail, looks well nice!

petemell
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It a smart looking bike, I have found the collector is a bit rough, may be ok, downpipes are fine. Was thinking of making a manifold then using a standard silencer off a GSXR or similar. I have seen it done.

Last edited by petemell on 11:31 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 2 times in total

chippit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:26 - 12 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
Just read your page on the SRX400, I have also just bought one, it was an impulse buy on ebay mine is the twin shock kick start only version that has not been on the road for years. I knew that it was an import only bike and had no idea how difficult it was going to be to get spares. I was surprised when I went into my local bike shop-Nightingales in Rugby they pulled out an old parts book from under the counter and proceeded to get most of the spares I needed for the next day! NRP in manchester were also very helpful in supplying carb and fuel tap bits. I have sent the carbs to be altra sonically cleaned as they were really badly gummed up.
Nightingales used to import alot of these bikes so know their stuff. I had always loved the look of these bikes ever since I sat on an SRX600 in a show room in 1985, I never bought one because I thought I would never be able to start it so when I saw this one I put a bid on it and to my surprise bought it.
The last bike I owned 15 years ago was a T500, loved it although I never did manage to stop the carbs from leaking!
Good luck with the SRX400, can't wait to get mine on the road I think I had better buy some new gear, not long before I sold all my bikes I bought a new crash helmet, took it out of the cover it has been in all these years, the date inside is 1985, how time flyes.
Regards Chris.

petemell
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:39 - 12 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try out Nightingales, I need a few bits for it that are only available genuine Yamaha, choke cable, cam cover gasket.

Last edited by petemell on 11:25 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 2 times in total

chippit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:42 - 13 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
don't know if you will get this message in time but there is a set of carbs for an srx400 mono shock on ebay which ends later today. Its only at 29.99 at the mo. item no. 26025953571
Regards Chris.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 13 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare set of 600 carbs...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:22 - 14 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THERE'S a bike that's crying out to be cafe racered!

All it needs is a set of ace bars and it'd look stunning. Thumbs Up

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."

petemell
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:07 - 14 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi moog, it has a set of clip on bars on as standard and these look pretty good.
If I was to put ace bars on I would need to get some of those Raask fork top clamps on first, but they are lowish as they are.
At the moment I am concentrating on the carbs as these have had some fiddling done, which unfortunately hasn't done them much good.
They are going to NRP for for a full check over, clean out and replace any dodgy parts.
The only modification I intend to do is replace that slumpy exhaust for a more conventional can, the downpipes are stainless and in good condition. I have a standard GSXR600 can, all I need to do is make a bit of a link pipe with a flange for the can connection.
Hope to get it roadworthy soon.

Last edited by petemell on 11:23 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 2 times in total

moog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemell wrote:
moog wrote:
Now THERE'S a bike that's crying out to be cafe racered!

All it needs is a set of ace bars and it'd look stunning. Thumbs Up

Hi moog, it has a set of clip on bars on as standard and these look pretty good.
If I was to put ace bars on I would need to get some of those Raask fork top clamps on first, but they are lowish as they are.
At the moment I am concentrating on the carbs as these have had some fiddling done, which unfortunately hasn't done them much good.
They are going to NRP for for a full check over, clean out and replace any dodgy parts.
The only modification I intend to do is replace that slumpy exhaust for a more conventional can, the downpipes are stainless and in good condition. I have a standard GSXR600 can, all I need to do is make a bit of a link pipe with a flange for the can connection.
Hope to get it roadworthy soon.

When you've got it sorted post up some pics mate. Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of cafe racering my cb250rs...ace bars, single seat unit, 7" bates headlight, gloss black paint job and possibly an engine swap for something a bit bigger...cb500 parallel twin maybe. Very Happy

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1