Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSXR600 will it take the 33bhp restriction?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Graprilia
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:37 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Suzuki GSXR600 will it take the 33bhp restriction? Reply with quote

Hey,
im looking to buy an Suzuki GSXR600 as my first big bike , but need it restricted too 33bhp. Can anyone tell me if these bikes can be restricted & if so how well the bike copes with it?

Thanks alot

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:59 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been hundreds of threads asking the exact same question as you, so use the search function if you want to find out more. The answers are always the same, that high revving sportsbikes make most of their power further up the rev range which the 33 bhp restriction cuts out completely, so a 600 will feel slow and gutless restricted. You'd do better restricting a commuter bike, ER5, CB500s, Bandits are all good choices for first bikes. Then there's the second debate which comes out in these threads of whether to leave the restrictors in or not for your restriction period, so you'll need to take that into account when purchasing your bike.
So my opinion, don't restrict a 600cc sports bike, it's sacrilege and a waste of the power, either ride it full power or not at all Razz

Devans
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dicussed this, as i was interested in restricting a 2000 Gsxr Srad.

The restriction basically stops the bike hitting the powerband at 8k revs, which means the bike will feel quite sluggish through the gears with no powerband, but it'll still hit mph, and be fast enough for a new rider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve32
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the point of buying a 600cc bike and restricting it... if you want a bike that does 33bhp then really you should buy a lower cc bike
i mean mines a 600cc gsxf and theres no way im going to restrict mine i'd rather wait until i get the full bike licence and then ride it at ful power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bardeey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

400cc 33bph restricted FTW Thumbs Up

Only another year left, then i'm buying the GSXR as a passing pressie for myself! Razz

damz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

just restrict it for a few months then derestrict it.

there was an article on mcn when suzuki were selling their new gsx600 with a restrictor kit and it did fairly well, topped out at around 120ish mph iirc and 0 to 60 was still pretty dam fast.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 33bhp GSXr would probably be slower than a 33bhp GS500 0-60 just due to the weight.

Restricting a sports 600 is for tarts. It's all show and no go. And insurance would still be an arse rape.

But it can be done, and it'll be fine. It's just stupid.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:07 - 29 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it on my Gsxr SRAD, kept em in for about 3 months as i was coming from a 50. After a few months whipped em out and took my time getting to know the bike.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 270 days between these two posts...

jeffo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:22 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: GSXR Reply with quote

were are the restricters in a gsxr600 srad??? are they easy to disassemble? thanks

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Suzuki GSXR600 will it take the 33bhp restriction? Reply with quote

Graprilia wrote:
Hey,
im looking to buy an Suzuki GSXR600 as my first big bike , but need it restricted too 33bhp. Can anyone tell me if these bikes can be restricted & if so how well the bike copes with it?

Thanks alot

Yeah my mate has one he bought new 18 months ago and had it restricted. From what I can gather they swapped the ECU as part of the restriction.

Forget the comments about why you shold or shouldn't do it - if you like the bike and need to restrict it to stay legal, just go right ahead and get it done. It'll still top 100mph easily enough.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not buy a super sport bike and restrict it, I would think it would cause it a few problems.

Stick to the none focused sport bike IE: CBR600F,GSX650F or a fazer 600. Thumbs Up

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve32 wrote:
whats the point of buying a 600cc bike and restricting it... if you want a bike that does 33bhp then really you should buy a lower cc bike
i mean mines a 600cc gsxf and theres no way im going to restrict mine i'd rather wait until i get the full bike licence and then ride it at ful power

Probably because if you like the sports bike look and want something bigger than 125, then the recent-ish bike market largely jumps from 125 to 600cc. 400s are all Jap imports that are 20 years old, nice tho they are. They're also highly overpriced for anything in decent nick.

250s? What the Ninja or the Hyosung GTR and there aren't alot on the used market so the price will be high.

Yep a restricted GSXR is like a tart that doesn't fuck, but there's not a huge choice.

You could go for an SV650S, which gets crap for being boring and a girls bike, but there's plenty of restrictors out there for it, and you wont get raped as badly on the insurance. It's alot lighter than the Bandit too.

jeffo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:49 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to get a gixxer 600 but i dont wanna ruin acceration does the resticter change that?? i dont care about top speed Smile

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damz wrote:
just restrict it for a few months then derestrict it.

If you're going to derestrict it early anyway what's the point in restricting it in the first place?

jeffo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:50 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get the certificate to show the police Very Happy

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you got sucked into the thread revival Laughing Laughing

Chequered Flag

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
All of you got sucked into the thread revival Laughing Laughing

God-damn thread revivals! I thought it was familiar.

Someone shoot the search feature Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My excuse is I am a sheep, so I just followed the leader Wink

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's important this is discussed as it's not a topic that's well covered on here.

By the way, does anyone else have an opinion on the etiquette of nodding at other bikers?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 294 days between these two posts...

fzrkid
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:28 - 15 Feb 2011    Post subject: 33bhp Reply with quote

just found this online forght ad note i have a fzr 600 at 33bhp done on carbs and it will do the full rev range and it tops out at 120mph £200 to have restriction done
now wrote off unfortunately someone reversed over it

so av gone out and borght a k3 gsxr 600 fi modal nd had it restricted to 33bhp with i belive is done on the frotal body
agen £200 to have the restiction done

nd dealers will allways tell you to go for a 125 or 250 thts at 33bhp cos they now you will then want to buy a more powerfull bike when your not 33bhp any more
my advise is go for it if you can afford the insurance it dunt hold the bike bak too much loose a bit ov accsel and some top end you cant just look at the bhp the more toruqe the bike meaks aswell is a bit part ov it just to help anyone out

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a little late from reading the above post but I agree with the majority here. Theres no point buying a sports bike and restricting it.

Might as well buy a dog and bark yourself.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:54 - 15 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
A 33bhp GSXr would probably be slower than a 33bhp GS500 0-60 just due to the weight.

Restricting a sports 600 is for tarts. It's all show and no go. And insurance would still be an arse rape.

But it can be done, and it'll be fine. It's just stupid.

Gaz

It is actually lighter than the GS500, not to mention far better brakes and suspension.

Wikipedia
GS500 Dry 174-180

GSXR600- Dry 160-163kg

Most people commenting have probably never ridden a restricted bike, being you first bike it would feel amazing, so fast you would be blown away, then when you take it out it is like a completely new bike.

There is a point buying a sports bike and restricting it, you want to stay legal but want a bike that handles and and stops really well.

Don't listen to the naysayers.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:56 - 15 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread resurrection!

madturk999
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 15 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad i have a full licence if you old enough just do the das and ride real sports bike no restriction
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2