Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to Improve Your Brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from Help, Guides & FAQs to by Korn (2 Sep 2004 - 11:21)
 Topic moved: from to Help, Guides & FAQs by Bendy (21 Aug 2004 - 09:36)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:52 - 04 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
so is there anything else I can use instead? Guy at Halfrauds thought a silicone cleaner would be ok, but I didn't want to risk causing any damage Confused

It is basically a good degreasant which evaporates quickly (like ethanol). You should be able to get it easily from a local motor factors (try Partco).

All the best

Keith

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I've been to my local Honda place and ordered more banjo bolts and some seals.

How easy are the seals to work with? Any tips on how to put them in or anything to watch out for? Would blunt ended forceps be okay?

I've bought two more bottles of brake fluid, so I think I will use the first bottle to reassemble the system, then if the pistons are still seizing on, I will use the that fluid to pump the pistons out, then I can clean them properly, replace the seals and use the second bottle to refill the system for the final time.

Praying please work this time!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:35 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If the seals have arrived then use them, otherwise you will chuck them in a box and forget about them Embarassed .

The seals are a fairly hard rubber. On the FZR I used a cocktail stick to get them out carefully. They are fairly easy to work with (just you land up getting horrible brake fluid on your hands), and it should be obvious which seal goes where. Use some fresh fluid on them when putting them into place, same on the pistons.

By the way, do not shake the bottle of brake fluid. It gets air bubbles easily, so if you shake it then it will be a pain to bleed.

All the best

Keith

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Keith.Thumbs Up

Kickstart wrote:

By the way, do not shake the bottle of brake fluid. It gets air bubbles easily, so if you shake it then it will be a pain to bleed.

Keith

Aye, I bought the brake fluid today so I could let it settle overnight. The rest of the stuff I am picking up tomorrow.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I undid the bolts holding on the caliper, and it came free from it's mounting, but now it won't slip away from the disk Confused

I assume this is because the edge of the disk is slightly thicker? Should I just force it off?

I'm kinda worried about how I'm going to put it back on if it is this difficult to get off!

Maybe I should leave this to a garage, but I want to learn this stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 18:13 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it easier to take the pads out first.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:16 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is often a lip around the edge of the disk (from wear) which makes them a pain to get off. A bit of effort and it should come off. If you clean everything up the pistons will push back more easily, but if you don't then it will be a pig to get back on.

All the best

Keith

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith, kinda what I was expecting to hear.

I assume it would be even more difficult with new pads, as they would be thicker?

So, basically the pistons should move in further than they are (once cleaned), which will give extra space to get the calipers back on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:52 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you are fitting new pads then the pistons will need to move all the way back into the calipers. If they are a bit stiff then clean them up and they will probably be OK. Very stiff and you will probably have to strip them down.

All the best

Keith

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 13:29 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I've got it finished.

It nearly went all wrong though...

Cycled to Barnet on Saturday to pick up the part that were being ordered for me only to find that they had been sent to the Midlands by mistake! I took the one banjo bolt they had as that was the minimum I needed to finish the job.

I fitted one end of the line using the torque wrench (correctly this time). Then I realised that the fittings of only one end, the end that I had attached to the reservoir, were angled and probably supposed to go into the caliper. Not so much of a problem but the washers had been "used" and I only had one spare. Spent an hour walking round my area's garages etc., trying to find a copper or aluminium washer to no avail. In the end, I decided to reuse one of them.

Unfortunately, now I couldn't get the bolt into the thread that I had over-torqued the other day. Presumably I had slightly damaged the thread. Visually it looked okay, but I then used the bolt to re-tap the thread. It ended up okay, but I had to clean some metal crap out of the hole.

Got the line fitted properly then filled the system with fluid. But there was a leak from the caliper banjo bolt! Close to tears was I! Anyway, I had torqued that bolt to the lowest recommended setting, but after I tightened it up it was fine.

Got the system filled and bled, but, the brake lever had loads of travel. This confused me a bit, because the first time I filled the system, just before I sheared the banjo bolt, the lever had been firm straight away. Anyway, I bungeed the lever down overnight and the next day it seemed to be okay.

So, now the brakes seem to working fine. I can't honestly tell if they are better than before I changed the line because it must have been about 10 weeks since I rode it last. Seems to stop okay. No leaks anywhere.

Unfortunately, I have lost one bolt! Sometimes a split-pin is used to secure the bolt holding the brake pads in. On my brakes, instead of a split-pin, there is another short bolt with a screw head that goes on top of the other bolt. Lost it! I am presumming it will be okay for a few days as long as I keep checking the bolt is secure, but I would rather get a replacement before I go to Oxford on Thursday.

Also, if anyone could recommend what torque the bolts holding the caliper onto the forks should be, it would be appreciated.

So, changing your brake lines and cleaning the calipers should take 1-2h for someone competent.

For someone less competent, like me, it took around about 16h in total over several days. Confused Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:56 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
On my brakes, instead of a split-pin, there is another short bolt with a screw head that goes on top of the other bolt. Lost it!

I suspect loads of people are missing that plug.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 72 days between these two posts...

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 08:55 - 19 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Heating to cherry red then rapidly cooling in water reverses this process and makes it soft again.

Hmmm, always thought that copper was annealed by heating and then letting cool naturally ... plunging it into water hardens does it not?

With regards the pistons not going back in, as Keith says the problem with calipers is the seals. It's the outer 'crap/shit/dirt' seal which causes the problem as it gets water/salt into the groove which the seal sits in.

The water/salt reacts with the ally of the caliper and forms corrosion, pushing the seal out of the seating groove partially and jamming it against the piston, which is why your pistons jam in place. You'd need to strip and clean all the corrosion out before your pistons will work smoothly again.

This is also why brakes can jam on ... the fluid pushes the piston out, but when the lever is released, the drop in pressure is not enough to 'suck' the piston back in due to the increased friction of the dust seal on the piston.

All the best ... Barry

P.S. Realise this is an old post ... but extra information is always handy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2