Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Peugeot Speedfight 2 - Wont start?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:57 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Peugeot Speedfight 2 - Wont start? Reply with quote

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3i69T9Qyk

Hello, I've got a problem with my Peugeot Speedfight 2 scooter.

It randomly gives off a spark, I've had the coil tested and it's getting to the coil but the coil doesn't seem to be always sending it to the spark.

The lights are also working fine.

The Battery is also working but since i've been trying to start it now for ages it's dieing down and struggling so i'm sticking with kickstart for now.

The red immobaliser light flashes red when the keys turned on and the brake lights work also.

I've got a brand new spark plug, the cable in coil lead the end is green not sure what that mean's friend told me it's not getting a signal or something from other end?

It doesn't start, but then randomly it might just start but wont start again so it's really confusing, Not sure if it's the coil? or wiring problem.

Please help me fix my baby Crying or Very sad
-

Thanks,

Paul Deemer.

Last edited by Deemer on 13:19 - 02 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total

rotax81
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:17 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the end of the lead is green, cut it back slightly and refit the cap.
go from there Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:20 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, what other possibilitys are there? as the coil isn't sending anything to the spark.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immobiliser failure? does the l.e.d. stay lit when cranking, there is a code that flashes on the l.e.d. when the immobiliser plays up, ,im not sure off the top off my head what the code is but maybe some of the scooter guys on here could help.

Usualy when the immobiliser fails it will either not start at all or will start but not rev up then cut out after a few seconds.

If the immobiliser packs up, you either need to replace the cdi,sensor ring and ignition barrel+key This can be very expensive if you buy the bits from peugeot (about £250) or buy a second hand one and risk it not working either,

or buy an immobiliserless cdi unit they are by far the cheapest option and you can still keep your origional key/lockset there are loads on ebay just make sure you are ordering the right one as i think there are two types of cdi on the speedfights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:14 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not immobiliser because it still flashes when i fire it up.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as im aware the l.e.d. should stop flashing when the bike is started, I may be wrong it's been a while since ive worked on a speedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with prawny1, definitely sounds like immobiliser failure.

When the key hasn't been coded it usually starts but won't rev and just misfires.

If the wrong key has been coded or the immobiliser has failed it will get a few sparks that allow it to run but then they misfire and eventually spark at the completely wrong time. This will keep repeating as you keep cranking the engine over.

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:09 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well I've ordered a new coil with HT Lead and will fit that and see what happens then.

I dont see why it would be the immobiliser though?

Give me some things I can check please that may rule out the possibility that it's the immobiliser.

Thanks,

Paul.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peugeot immobilisers are prone to packing up without much warning or reason, haynes do a manual for peugeot peds for about £15 it's well worth buying so you can get all the test precedures and specs out of it (asuming the immobiliser is covered in the electrical section), even if the immobiliser isn't covered you will find having a manual very usefull for doing work yourself.

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:31 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the bike doesnt rev when it starts... so it cant be immobiliser can it?

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deemer wrote:

The reason it won't rev is because of the immobiliser.

Does it start and tick over?

prawny1 wrote:
The peugeot immobilisers are prone to packing up without much warning or reason, haynes do a manual for peugeot peds for about £15 it's well worth buying so you can get all the test precedures and specs out of it (asuming the immobiliser is covered in the electrical section), even if the immobiliser isn't covered you will find having a manual very usefull for doing work yourself.

In regards to the manual, try your local library, you may not need to buy one.

Andyco11
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:42 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deemer wrote:

Read the helpful posts before replying

prawny1 wrote:
Immobiliser failure? does the l.e.d. stay lit when cranking, there is a code that flashes on the l.e.d. when the immobiliser plays up, ,im not sure off the top off my head what the code is but maybe some of the scooter guys on here could help.

Usualy when the immobiliser fails it will either not start at all or will start but not rev up then cut out after a few seconds.

If the immobiliser packs up, you either need to replace the cdi,sensor ring and ignition barrel+key This can be very expensive if you buy the bits from peugeot (about £250) or buy a second hand one and risk it not working either,

or buy an immobiliserless cdi unit they are by far the cheapest option and you can still keep your origional key/lockset there are loads on ebay just make sure you are ordering the right one as i think there are two types of cdi on the speedfights.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:43 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops sorry IT DOES rev Razz

Edit: It starts randomly like 1/30

and even run fine... but when i turn it off it wont start up again.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a video, upload it to YouTube and then post the link up.

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 01 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have't to do that tomorrow.

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:57 - 02 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

File is uploading, There's a sequence on the flashing it's like flash, stop... flash.. stop.... FLASH stay on.

you'll see in video.

Edit: When I start the electric start, the light flickers.

Edit: https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3i69T9Qyk

There's the LINK

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:35 - 03 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea's what it could be? I've been told immobiliser.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need a new battery.

Your immobiliser will kick in if your voltage is dropping below 9 volts and this is what Himself says is happening after watching your video.

Switch it off, connect it to a booster pack then switch back on. Don't try to connect a booster or charge the battery in any way with the ignition still switched on! If it starts no problem this is the cause of your problem and replacing the battery should sort it out.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 12 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have both the ignition keys for your bike?

you can try resetting the immobiliser if you have both the red (master key)and black (service/normal) key,

First make sure the battery is charged then put your red key in the ignition and turn it on for five seconds and then turn it off and remove it, then put the black key in and turn the ignition on for five second then remove it and finnaly put the red key back in and turn it on for another five seconds then remove it again and wait two minutes before trying to start the bike with your black (service/normal) key,

The above precedure should be completed as quickly as possible and both keys should not be near the ignition at the same time, also make sure you have no radio equipment on near the bike when you do it.

The flash code is very important in diagnosing immobiliser faults, infortunatly i cannot recall what they are, but some times the immobiliser has just lost code much like a car and just needs resetting.

The above precedure is worth a try, my pal has a breakers yard told me how to do this, he got the info from a peugeot dealer, Most dealers would rather charge you for a new immobiliser than tell you how to re-register your own keys (missmatched keys won't work only the origional or cloned ones will be recognised), or charge you a small fortune to do it for you.

Deemer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Immobiliser Problem:

Fixed By:

Fitted a CDI that bypasses the Immobliser, This worked great and started first time even with no battery.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 13 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deemer wrote:
PROBLEM RESOLVED

Immobiliser Problem:

Fixed By:

Fitted a CDI that bypasses the Immobliser, This worked great and started first time even with no battery.

well that was suggested by prawny all along.... Rolling Eyes
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

Dondi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:44 - 18 Dec 2008    Post subject: Bringing your Speedfight back to life Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you had to disable your immobilizer, it's one of the best and also one of the most important feature of the Speedfight.

If most of you experienced a battery failure or change before experiencing starting problems - it's just a normal function of the immobilizer cause that's exactly what it does...immobilize.

To get your SF system back up and running you simply have to use your "master" key...your supposed to have 3 keys:

1) black (GKS) main key
2) red (Trelock) BOA key
3) red (GKS) master program key

I hope you have the 3rd one and it comes with the SF. To use it your suppose to restore the battery(new) assuming your replacing it. Then use the 3rd key and do a full turn (clockwise) and back, lastly do the same with your 1st key. -- THAT"S IT!!!

If it doesn't work then something else is busted (i.e. CDI, wiring, fuse)

Good luck!!!

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 18 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded that you should have tried a new battery or booster.

f.

tomotomo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:59 - 16 Apr 2009    Post subject: dirt in the ignition Reply with quote

I had the same problem, took it to the shop and it turned out to be dirt in the ignition
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1