Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I have no keys to my motorcycle - DESPERATE! :p

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paul_1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:37 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: I have no keys to my motorcycle - DESPERATE! :p Reply with quote

Hey there, I know it's stupid that I never had a spare key, but my wallet got stolen out my jacket with my only key to my 2007 CBR125.

I'm absolutely stumped as to what to do. Problem is that the key is also used to open up the fuel cap.....

I contacted my dealer that I got the bike from and they said they would come round to my house and fit a new "lock set" which I think is a new steering lock, new ignition, new fuel tank, basically the works, in order to get a new set of keys - at a price of 380 pounds which is WAAAAAAY too much and I just can't afford that much for have a silly key stolen.

I really don't know if there is another option at all, they said they dont keep records of key numbers, and i dont think these newer bikes have the key number engraved on the barrel where you insert the key anymore.

Phoned a locksmith, and they told me I think it's a legal thing, that I need to get Honda to sort it out.....

Any advice, suggestions, alternate options or anything at all would be super appreciated!

Thank you

Paul

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:42 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Decent automotive locksmith should be able to cut a new key from the lock. Don't expect it to be particularly cheap (although I assume the CBR doesn't have an immobilisor given the price Honda quoted). Cost me £60 to get a couple of keys cut for a lock (and that was with the lock off the bike which makes things easier).

Failing that it needs a replacement lock set. And the locks are not designed to be easily removed, especially when it is all locked.

All the best

Keith

Neorion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above mate, this one is from the states but it can be done.

you need to get the ignition barrel out.

Time for the Haynes manual.

Godd luck! Wink

Edit the link might help Laughing

https://unrulyasides.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/lost-motorcycle-key-how-i-got-a-replacement-not-too-expensively-bay-area/

Last edited by Neorion on 09:14 - 07 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total

Rockhopper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:16 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i just nicked a CBR125, can anyone tell me how to get new keys cut for it?

Paul_1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:27 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about taking the ignition barrel off, I imagine there would be some sort of wiring involved there....since the fuel cap uses the same key as the ignition, I imagine it would be feasable to somehow get the fuel cap taken off, take it to a locksmith and get a key cut from that.....just need to figure out how to get the fuel cap off now

Razz

Problem with locksmiths i've phone is they've given me a 50 pounds call out charge, so even if they can't do anything, I gotta pay up.

And Rockhopper, I wish I knew how to hotwire my bike so I don't need to spend 10 pounds on taxis to work every day! That's considerably over the cost of filling the tank up full everyday! Surprised

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:14 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The wiring for the ignition switch will just connect to the loom with a block connector. Find that and you will be able to unplug it. The difficult bit is the ignition switch is probably held onto the top yoke using shear bolts that are designed to be difficult to remove, and if the ignition lock was on then getting the top yoke off will be difficult without damaging it.

The petrol cap will also be difficult to remove, as on most there are a series of bolts around the outside (easy to remove) plus one that you can only access when the cap is open. Also quite likely that the petrol cap lock does not have all the tumblers that the ignition has (ie, same key, but for the cap some of the cut outs are irrelevant).

All the best

Keith

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park the bike round the corner, then one night go and 'attempt' to steal it making sure you damage the lock and petrol cap - then claim on insurance and get it all replaced! Twisted Evil

(Of course I wouldn't ever seriously suggest you did this... Wink )
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time and whip the ignition out as advised above.

If you take your time it isn't a difficult job, and then walk it down a local automotive locksmith for recutting.

It will cost you money, but think of it as a don't do it again tax.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Re: I have no keys to my motorcycle - DESPERATE! :p Reply with quote

Paul_1984 wrote:
my wallet got stolen out my jacket with my only key to my 2007 CBR125.

Do you keep your driving licence in your wallet?

With your address on it?

Make extra sure you chain up your bike from now on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:41 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a bloody age to get keys cut for my bike - took the bloke 3 attempts and eventually I had to photocopy it so he could send it away to get the right blanks sent back (he didn't believe it went right in all the way).

But reading this makes me glad I went through all the hassle. Hope you get it sorted mate.

skiberd123
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:22 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a small metal tag thing in with all the paperwork? has a code on it for the key so you can get new ones from honda. also a space in the manual to write it down, maybe worth checking out

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:01 - 08 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search of this site you will find the tel and addy for a company that will allow you to send the locks for them to cut new keys for... Believe they will then also keep a recod of the number should you need another new key.

Try a ebay search or some of the online retailers they may do locksets a lot cheaper.
But £380 is a dammed good price for them to come out and replace the old with a new set.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1