BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need Help... Trouble Starting CPI SM50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

cmk661
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:12 - 31 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope i never left the choke on. it has an automatic choke. Cheers for your input tho Thumbs Up

joop200789
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:12 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

are sm's geared,if so you had go at bump starting it,
it always seem bump starting works better when it been a pain to start,
but that might just be me lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cmk661
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:23 - 01 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh ive tried bump starting it. No joy though.

cmk661
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:46 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one more thing.... A few of my dads mates are bikers. they say that it could be my jets. they said that when you replace your jets you must count how many turns it takes for you to get your jet out and that when you put the jet back in you must do the same amount of turns. or you can count the threads and when putting back in count how many threads. is this true?

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of that before, usually just screw the jets all the way back in.
Wouldnt really be expecting a new 50 to have jets falling out but it is possible, there is more likelyhood of a blocked jet from shit fuel than the jet being out id of thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sumpgard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

what colour was the plug when you took it out have had a similar problem with a friends bike turned out to be the jetting i dropped the needle by moving the clip up 2 notches starts first kick with no choke even when cold this problem has had many people confused we dont know why this happened but the bike runs fine now.

cmk661
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:44 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumpgard wrote:
what colour was the plug when you took it out have had a similar problem with a friends bike turned out to be the jetting i dropped the needle by moving the clip up 2 notches starts first kick with no choke even when cold this problem has had many people confused we dont know why this happened but the bike runs fine now.

The plug was black. you say you dropped the needle by moving the clip up 2 notches... what clip do you move??

sumpgard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one on the needle thats inside to the throttle slide if your plugs black this means your bike will be running rich by ajusting the needle this will weaken the fuel air mixture after doing this you must check the colour of the plug if your bike runs week you will seize the engine your plug needs to be a sandy colour when the bike has been taken for a short run i hope this helps.

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it black wet, or black sooty/carbony?
I really wouldnt expect a 08 bike to have the jetting wrong already, as youve tried with the previous exhaust too and no one has rejetted it..

cmk661
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:43 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

black wet. yeh i woulndt have thought the jettings wrong.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the choke might be stuck on or the airbox is blocked. Change the plug and see what happens.

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:47 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke ??
correct oil petrol mix , if there is a seperate oil tank is there to much oil getting in,

cmk661
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:28 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an automatic choke. Does anyone know how they work?
Ive changed the plug aswell.

Yup its a got a seperate 2 stroke tank. Its only got 254 miles on it so i dont think the mix is wrong. how do you adjust the mix?

Cheers

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:49 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmk661 wrote:
Its an automatic choke. Does anyone know how they work?
Ive changed the plug aswell.

Yup its a got a seperate 2 stroke tank. Its only got 254 miles on it so i dont think the mix is wrong. how do you adjust the mix?

Cheers

First off, don't mess about with needle heights or anything like that until you've worked out what the issue is. Have you tried a new spark plug? They are dirt cheap and you might need a spare anyway.

Have you done a compression test? Are you sure the spark is strong enough (blue)?

I'm slightly concerned that you've put a sports exhaust on, not made any other changes and the bike is broken. I'm slightly concerned that you may have done some more serious damage in the process.

Do a compression check and if you've got low compression I reckon you've burned a hole in your piston. If the compression is OK then I'd try a new spark plug and see what happens. I'd still be concerned with running the sports pipe with no mods though...

adamcpi50sx08
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:04 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
254 miles from new? It's not even run in, and you put a sports pipe on?
+1

i have the same bike but mine is a sx, 1. your not supposed to even derestrict them till 1000 miles at least according to my dealer and a technigas enox is most of the derestriction done without the sprockets and bigger jets, 2. nearly everyone i have spoken too with a cpi sx/sm has blew their engine by either fitting a technigas enox when the bike aint run in properly and screaming it all the time or not jetting it properly and the bike has ran way too lean, 3. you need to jet to suit the exhaust system and 4 the technihas enox pipe is a high rpm pipe and makes the bike over-rev a lot and this is probablys why they blow.

take note i have a 2008 cpi sx50 (58 plate) with 1160 odd miles on at the moment, the only thing i have added is a set of acerbis handguards the rest is standard and still restricted as it came from the factory, it wont be derestricted till atleast 1200 miles but more than likely around 1400 and also if you want your bike to be quicker get it geared properly because they are geared so most of the power goes to the bottom end of the rev range so it tops out quickly at 30 odd mph so its legal for 16 year old, im sure the standard gearing is 11 on the front and 62 on the back or near enough anyway, i think around 13 on the front and 56 on the back should do but i aint decided on deffo numbers yet for mine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamcpi50sx08 wrote:
truslack wrote:
254 miles from new? It's not even run in, and you put a sports pipe on?
+1

i have the same bike but mine is a sx, 1. your not supposed to even derestrict them till 1000 miles at least according to my dealer and a technigas enox is most of the derestriction done without the sprockets and bigger jets, 2. nearly everyone i have spoken too with a cpi sx/sm has blew their engine by either fitting a technigas enox when the bike aint run in properly and screaming it all the time or not jetting it properly and the bike has ran way too lean, 3. you need to jet to suit the exhaust system and 4 the technihas enox pipe is a high rpm pipe and makes the bike over-rev a lot and this is probablys why they blow.

take note i have a 2008 cpi sx50 (58 plate) with 1160 odd miles on at the moment, the only thing i have added is a set of acerbis handguards the rest is standard and still restricted as it came from the factory, it wont be derestricted till atleast 1200 miles but more than likely around 1400 and also if you want your bike to be quicker get it geared properly because they are geared so most of the power goes to the bottom end of the rev range so it tops out quickly at 30 odd mph so its legal for 16 year old, im sure the standard gearing is 11 on the front and 62 on the back or near enough anyway, i think around 13 on the front and 56 on the back should do but i aint decided on deffo numbers yet for mine

Arnt you the chap who already seized it once?
or part seized it..

adamcpi50sx08
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:18 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the guy who seized his topend by running a technigas enox while it was too lean is also called adam tho or is it aaron lol but his is exactly the same as mine just his in a sm and no mine has never been seized or partly seized...touch wood lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

davthegreat
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well to start of ive got the same problem my bikes seized and i managed to free it up but now it wont start i thought it had siezed due to oil starvation so i put a half a pint or so with some petrol shaked it up and then put it in the tank to make sure, ive lost compression and it wont kick start ive tryed bump starting it, but it starts in 1st then you can run it but it defo wont idle and when you put it in neutral it dies. not sure whats wrong with mine either but i thought it was the same sort of problem so i posted mine on this one to find out the overall problem im gonna check my fuel lines tomos to make sure

Last edited by davthegreat on 18:54 - 09 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total

davthegreat
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:41 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i manage to find the problem on mine ill post it if it helps you if i cant fix mine i might make my own thread to see if anyone can help

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youve lost alot of compression/got not much
its top end off time.
and if if siezed dont try unseize it and ride it you plum.

davthegreat
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:46 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

its already unseized, i wouldnt of as ive read on here it can do more harm than good but i was 2 miles from my house and it seized so i rang my parents to come and pick me up like quick cos i had an exam and had to go then otherwise i would of missed it so my brother walked it home and decided to unseize it so you know thats what happerned. But anyways my dad recons a seal could of moved so he recons i should get it running so it might move the seal back therefor it being ok but he did say theres a slim chance Smile

Last edited by davthegreat on 18:55 - 09 Jan 2009; edited 2 times in total

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dads wrong,
a seal being out of place wont lock the rear wheel up.
If that were the case when you "unseized it" you'd of had to move the seal, but thats not the case its seized, and needs a top end rebuild mainly because youve lost loads of compression along with seizure syptoms hence not a seal.

davthegreat
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:52 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok do you recon it needs a top end re build then, whats that include or do, is it easy, will it cost alot, is it defo top end cos ive heard people starting bikes with there little fingers sort of thing

davthegreat
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:57 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

he doesnt think it seized because of the seal moving he recons thats to do with lack of oil or got to hot to quick (overreved) he recons the seal could of moved during or because of seizure

thanks for the help btw

sumpgard
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have seized your bike it will need atop end rebuild could be just a piston and rings or a rebore or the crank rebuilt you will not know untill i has been taken apart also find out why it seized in the first place.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3