BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ccm r30

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rotax 500 will cruise well at around 75 (and that's with the very restrictive exhaust I've got on at the moment), so I would have thought the 644 would cruise around 80/85

(MT Makes 32bhp)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cruise at 85mph on my KLR, but I'm not sure it was really that great for the bike.
I didn't use to feel so bad about it, especially starting out on a CG, but these days I'm not so happy about about keeping a bike at constant near-redline revs for long periods.

Gearing obviously is going to make a difference; the KLR was geared higher than my CCM was stock.

Matthie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just making the decision more difficult! I am not talking about making regular journeys on the motorway, just the odd journey to a meet (box hill is a hour by motorway I believe) and just other places that may need to go. It won't be that bad for it surely?

How do they cope on fast A roads doing 70-80ish? Would be alright because your braking and accelerating for corners yeah?

Tutton says: I hate random hardons, they are so weird...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:36 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it's a fast A-Road, then you're probably not braking if you're doing 70-80 Smile.
As I say, they seem to be ok, but it's more a case of mechanical sympathy.
My Hussy was geared for 110 with the supermoto wheels and you could sit on a motorway at 80 easily if you wanted, however they would go bang pretty quickly because they're not designed for that.
Less of an issue with these bikes, but I still don't like it.

Should be ok for occasional use; pretty sure that my CCM dying wasn't due to occasional motorway/A-road use, though I do wonder if it contributed?

Oh and there's better routes to boxhill; takes a bit less than an hour by motorway from or here or about an hour if you leave the motorway at J10 of the M4.

Remember you do get a lot of wind blast on any bike like this at speed - you do get used to it, but it bothers some more than others.

Matthie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah I was just trying to not alert the safety nazis so said braking. Very Happy

So hussys, are they more highly strung yeah? What sort of bhp are you looking at them producing? Not sure if it will be an ideal first bike as it is going to be my only form of transport, how many miles are the service intervals?

Sorry for the endless questions! Just want to make sure I make the right choice...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:29 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hussy = Husaberg, 10 hour service intervals, competition bikes only.
Husky = Husqavarna, 10 hour service intervals for the competition bikes (250/450/500 etc), about 3000 miles for the trail bikes (410/610).

Note the later competition bikes are actually a bit better on service intervals, but still not reasonable for everyday.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:38 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most A-roads dont need braking on when on my SM due to not carrying enough speed due to the prolonged straining that G mentions (though mine isnt that quick), carrying a pillion for anything more than 30 mins would seem pointless to me as well, I took my pillion pegs off.

I'd have one as an only bike if I had a car, or as I do, two bikes.

Pedd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my R30s my only bike atm have a car aswell tho, and as said will sit at 70-80 np (tops out at about 110-115 ish) but windblast can be a c**t, soon builds up the neck muscles lol. Have done some good rides on it tbh and yes the seat isnt the most comfortable etc but you soon get used to that. Been upto lakes etc onit just for the day out ride, about a 350 ish mile round trip. I have taken people on the back aswell ( took a mate 100miles on the back when he picked his bike up) often do 200 miles or so on a sunday ride. service intervals are around the 4000 - 4500 mile mark on the susuki engined 644.

Matthie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it wheelie? Razz Laughing

Pedd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the standard mods done (tps,airbox,valve lift gubbins can) it wheelies fine off the throttle with a gentle tug in 1 and 2nd needs clutching up in 3rd if your crap at em like me. You have to remember that it aint a higly tuned sm like the others but on the otherhand you havnt got 10 hour service times either (yayyyy) could always add the kent cam and the bore 710 kit if you so wished Twisted Evil

Matthie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles have you done on it? Had any trouble with it in that time? Also have you done any proper miles on the motorway? (Over a hour?)

Cheers for the help. Thumbs Up

Pedd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done about 4000 onit in the last couple of months (only been using it for fun latley as the cars warm lol) Been to blackpool and back a few times on the motorway which is probably about 60 miles each way so about an hourish didnt have any problems. Also when I collected the bike it did about 100 back to mine down the m6 no worrys. The bike will have no problems sitting at 70 - 75 mph on the motorway all day its you that will get tired of the windblast Crying or Very sad The bike has never missed a beat in the time ive owned it. When I ride tho I tend to avoid the motorways and use the twistyest roads I can find to my destination as thats when the grins on your face goes stupid Thumbs Up

Matthie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Sounds like the right type of bike for me, I find motorways boring anyway.

I think I will leave it to closer to the time and see what sort of monies I have, talking to G today he recommended the 404 or the 610, I think for my first bike reliability is a big part so I might go for the 644 R30 even if it is slightly heavier. I can always get a more highly strung SM when I have another bike in a year or so...

Pedd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 404 is 124kg dry and the r30 is 132kg dry so not really a lot init. Remeber tho the r30 wont take trail wheels as the rear swingarm is shorter. You can always change the swingarm for the ds one if you wish tho then you can use both trail and sm wheels. Best bet is to find somewhere that oyu can actually have a sit on one and see how they feel to you.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride a ccm 604e supermoto with a rotax lump in it, and its never skipped a beat over 2 years or so.
not going to go into reviewing it very much, all i can say imo the suzuki lumps are gutless and horrible (ive ridden a few)

if you get anything like mine, standard cans just strangle them, get one from remus + jet, and it will run so much better.

may even be tempted to sell at some point (getting car)

steve

Matthie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempted to sell it in 2 months? Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:18 - 18 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but both those weights are out; I believe the r30 is a decent amount heavier than claimed from some discussions long ago on a CCM forum.
Good point on the r30 swingarm; best bet if you were stuck on using it for trail use would be to get the (less tarty) 644 DS; should be able to pick one up with both sets of wheels fairly easily.
My '119kg' 404e comes in at around 135kg no-fuel. That's about the same 'real world' weight as a TE610 and about 3kgs less than my 690.

People I've talked to have suggested that the bigger CCMs are starting to push the weight limits a bit for comfortable and reasonably speed green-laning. Of course some can go greenlaning fast on a GS1200A, but must wouldn't Smile.

I don't see the SM610 should be any less reliable than the 644 really, though my research has been on the newer ones.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2