Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda XR 125 or Yamaha XT 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

will20
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:37 - 11 Feb 2009    Post subject: Honda XR 125 or Yamaha XT 125 Reply with quote

Hello all....im new to this forum/biking and was looking for some advise on the two bikes mentioned.

I haven't done my CBT yet so i'm not classing myself as a i biker but i am looking to take it in April. I'm after a 4 stroke as i will mainly be commuting and want reliability but i really like the enduro look.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Honda XR or the Yam XT? And also is there any other enduro 4 strokes out there that i should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any help. Its greatly appreciatied Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

12noon
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:23 - 11 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a quick search for reviews for both bikes and both have good reviews. I've no idea about the cost of each, but from the pictures, they both look very similar. It just depends on which one you like the look of most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

will20
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:47 - 11 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

12noon wrote:
I've just done a quick search for reviews for both bikes and both have good reviews. I've no idea about the cost of each, but from the pictures, they both look very similar. It just depends on which one you like the look of most.

Yea all i could find were similar reviews. The yam has a digital display with more features but i've read that they have a few faults with them...but then i read its dead easy to sort out, so back to square one. Smile I know at the end of the day its my decision but wanted to see if anyone knew something that i should.

Also do you know of any alternatives out there that i should maybe check out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

12noon
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:28 - 11 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm just about to get rid of my Chinese 125 that's under a year old and buy a Honda CBF125. I know it's not the style you want, but the CBF is cheap and reliable and looks good to me.

I'd look at the two bikes you are looking at, but can't justify the extra cost for the style when i only use the bike to go to work on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smithy1219
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 11 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Yamaha Xt125r. I also read about the problems with the digital display but never had any. The only reason I sold the bike was because I passed my full license and wanted a bigger bike. It was very reliable. Never broke down or had problems starting it and I had an accident on it when I went round a roundabout and my back wheel hit some diesel but even when it slid on it side down the road at 40mph I only did £20 worth of damage as it held up very well! Mainly indicator damage. Took is off road a lot as well and got trashed about and dropped a lot but still worked as well as ever Smile

The only other bike that I can think of is a Suzuki DR-125SM which is about the same price as the Yam Xt...brand new that is.

Hope this is of some help.

will20
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:49 - 11 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithy1219 wrote:
I used to have a Yamaha Xt125r. I also read about the problems with the digital display but never had any. The only reason I sold the bike was because I passed my full license and wanted a bigger bike. It was very reliable. Never broke down or had problems starting it and I had an accident on it when I went round a roundabout and my back wheel hit some diesel but even when it slid on it side down the road at 40mph I only did £20 worth of damage as it held up very well! Mainly indicator damage. Took is off road a lot as well and got trashed about and dropped a lot but still worked as well as ever Smile

The only other bike that I can think of is a Suzuki DR-125SM which is about the same price as the Yam Xt...brand new that is.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers smithy, thats exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear. Glad to hear you had a good experience with yours. Reliabilities really important to me cos it will be my main form of transport in the week. Plus i live out in the sticks a little bit so would like the option of bombing it around in a field to! lol! I think that suzuki may be out of my price range cos i was lookin at 3 year old examples for just over a grand and stuff.

scrambled
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at both before I got my bike (DT125X), a friend has the XR125. XR125 is very economical I think (100mpg?) but comes with knobblies whereas you can get the XT125X with slicks which are probably better for the road.

Personally I'd go for the XR out of the two, just for looks and reliability .. I don't like the look of the XT and it's quite a small bike.

If I were you though I'd also check out the new yam WR125X which is new this year, it looks miles better than the XT and XR, but find out what the engine is because it might be more race orientated.

https://i39.tinypic.com/2hefwpu.jpg

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 12 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much experience at all with the yamaha But i passed my test on the Honda XR125 and it was a great little bike nippy enough and could bimble along at 60 more than comfortably all day

Rode it around for 1 day for about 8 Hours with a few breaks and was comfortable Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 12 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha Does'nt even break the 10bhp barrier. It might not be that high on your list of priorities, but if your going to be stuck with 125cc 4 stroke machinery for 1-2years, then you want at least the minimum 12bhp, and closer to 14.6bhp would be good! You will at nearly 15bhp have enough to make a true 70mph possible on the flat in the right conditions.

I quite like the looks of the Derbi Senda 125 and supermoto. They have a 12bhp OHC Honda engine and some interesting styling. The new WR125F would be good if you were going for a new bike, as it has the same engine as the YZF125R so it should go ok at 15bhp with lower gearing than the road bike.

For secondhand 125's the MZ 125 trail bike's have had a fairly good reputation and feel quite nippy for a 4stroke again being right on the power limit allowed. Any bike that uses the Yamaha/Minarelli 125 2valve lump ( Reiju RR125 etc) is one to avoid IMO, as this is not a powerful enough engine to power a 125cc bike sufficiantly for it to be worth having.

will20
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:39 - 12 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest then...what 4 stroke 125's have the most power that havent already been mentioned?

Is there a recomended website that has this information on?

ETA: Does the Derbi Cross City have the same engine as the 12bhp senda?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 12 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any, but each manufactuer will quote a maximum power figure, and what you want to see IMO is any 4 stroke 125's having closer to 11kw or 14.6bhp. The newer 125 liquid cooled 4 strokes all tend to have more than 12bhp. The Yamaha TTR/XTR engine is a simple 2valve air cooled lump, with small ports and a tiny carb. It was meant as a 125cc off road play bike engine, long before it was engineered into a road bike unit.

gottogetbig
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:06 - 15 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a XR125 for just over a year. Never ever let me down i rode it in all conditions. MPG i dont know the exact figures but i spent about 6 pounds a week to get me to and from sixth form 14 miles a day and all my other riding, mates the gym ect.

Performance wise, isnt too bad of the mark but top end is 60ish at the most. I have had it low as 45 driving into really bad wind but i woud say u mostly get 55-60.

Mine got knocked over a few times with no damge other then the mirrors. I also crashed into the side of a car at almost 50 and it only needed a new gear leaver think it was less then 20 pounds to replace.

I paid 900 on a 55 plate when it was 14 months old and sold it for 875 only because i needed a quick sale, I had a week to sell it. bargain Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 364 days between these two posts...

albert t
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:24 - 14 Feb 2010    Post subject: XT 125 Reply with quote

I have a XT125X, great fuel consumption 80mpg, and has hit 75mph, yes the digital display needed replacing, but that was done under warranty.
It is so much fun on roundabouts and in town.
My main problem with it is the carb, I've had it rebuilt 3 times and still is causing problems.
I'm waiting to hear from Yamaha to see if it is a design fault, I have missed a recall or I'm just unlucky.
I originally brought it over a DT 125 as I thought it would be easier for my girlfriend to learn on, I have a 636 and a Fazer but have as much fun (in a different way) on the XT, if the carb problem gets sorted I would wholly reccomend it as a first bike, winter hack and fun commuter

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: Honda XR 125 or Yamaha XT 125 Reply with quote

will20 wrote:
I'm after a 4 stroke as i will mainly be commuting and want reliability but i really like the enduro look.

I commuted just fine on a 2 stroke. Just keep the oil topped up and they're fine.

Bambam3
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:44 - 19 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XR125, it's my first bike, had it for about a month now.

Quite nippy, always runs (except when you try starting it over and over with the kill switch down & kill the battery Embarassed ), and generally a great purchase.

I picked mine up for £1000 on a 55 plate, well looked after.

Reliable engine too, the CG engine I think, so it'll last forever if you look after it right.

Perfect for a first bike IMO as it's forgiving, pretty bulletproof and can take a few drops or falls that all learners make, and it looks awesome too.

Struggles slightly up big hills but is more than fast enough for general commuting.. still scares me shitless when I get on a nice empty road and give it some welly.

So far, can't fault it. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1