Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash at Bassets pole

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:11 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Crash at Bassets pole Reply with quote

apparently there has been an accident at bassets pole today, I've just spoken to Jay on the phone. From what I can gather someone came off the roundabout going for knee down on the right hander, he lost the bike and low sided, the bike slid along hit the kerb and took 3 spectators into the trees with it. From what Jay said it sounds pretty bad, the people are injured and were being carried out of the trees on stretchers, some with eye patches and some that looked like they had their clothes cut, that may have happened during the accident though, I'll let someone who was there explain more later.

I can't see the police being too friendly at bassets pole from now on though, understandably really, it is the biggest meet in the midlands and its obviously starting to get out of hand a bit. Confused

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 23:15 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must have been just as I left!.

The pole tonight was extremely busy and out of control.
In my opinion the either need some way of organising it like marshalls for the bike parking etc or it is just going to be shut down it was out of control and very dangerous.

laura

ilovens125f's
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:30 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my post it was shit scary I was there https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=25525

Last edited by ilovens125f's on 23:39 - 18 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 23:33 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be that fucked then.

After the Fireblade/crowd incident they got very twitchy down at Boxhill. Neutral

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 00:28 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
This must have been just as I left!.

Aye, i even made an apperance... lol.

Tony phoned me to tell me all that went on..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ShortR6
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:58 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very bad news.

I'm at work tonight on my bike and I only work a couple a miles away from bassets pole and a lot of the bikers come down to the park where I work to get a bit of free space(Hams Hall). I could tell it was busy from the amount of bikes going past my place.

I think if the pole was a little more controlled it would be a lot less hassle and would stop these accidents happening.

Andy

Short but not sweet

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:43 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Short bit on the BBC web site about it:-

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/3727151.stm

All the best

Keith

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 04:21 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and I didn't see what happened, We were stood on the long straight watching wheelies and stoppies (there were an awful lot of stunts being done and it was pretty cool)

We saw an ambulance shoot past and stopped outside the pub on the road that runs parallel to the mc donalds.

We saw loads of people rushing over so we did the same. The person that crashed was on an old cbr600 (like lauras) he is there every week with his titanium knee sliders getting his knee down outside the pub. We spoke to a few people who saw the accident, sounds like his tyres lost grip on the bend and it just slid away from him.

He would have walked away from it if only there werent a load of tits stood on the corner (it clearly wasn't a safe place to stand) Anyway, the bike hit the curbe and flipped up and landed on 3 people all of them sent flying into the wood behind where they were standing.

The bike was a write off (bent forks etc) all of them walked away from the accident apart from the lady who looked very badly injured.

The police were there taking statements, I suspect the man that was riding is going to get seriously fucked over, as he was getting knee down on a corner which I imagine is frowned upon. I feel sorry for the guy to be fair, he got some really nasty looks from the spectators as he walked away... and yet a few minutes previous they had been cheering him on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 09:55 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you all know that it was one of the west midlanders riders who came of at the pole these are a group I go riding with.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 09:57 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY the government and police can't close off a well surfaced decent roundabout, marshal it, take it in turns, control it and have the edge 44 vans there, some food stands, some misc retail stands, once/twice a month in various locations and have a controlled knee down/stunt event for the public.

This would save lives, it would save injuries and it would save hassle and would also increase the popularity of the police/government.

They do this for cars so why the fuck won't they do it for bikes.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 09:58 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said that if the croud were 4 feet futher back no injury would have been caused.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
They do this for cars so why the fuck won't they do it for bikes.

Where do they do this for cars?
I've not heard of one. But then I've led a very sheltered life. I've not heard of the police closing down a section of road for cars to roam around on at ridiculous speeds.

To actually close a road off would take so much red tape and time (not to mention money, but the police would LOVE the overtime!) that it would never happen.

I suppose that's what track days are for, although the one I went to at Donington on Monday night said no stunts or wheelies. So, I guess if someone found a decent section of tarmac somewhere private they could make a killing and keep many many bikers happy once or twice a month.

Bugger about the accident though, but I'm guessing that spectators (I've seen it loads of times at motorsport events for work) tend to stand in the most stupid of places. Usually because the area has no-one else standing in it, duh, maybe that's for a reason!

I agree with what mike said about the people giving bad looks to the biker too. If they were egging him on then they're as much to blame as he is. Rolling Eyes

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 10:14 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily pay £5.00 to be allowed to spend the night doing knee down and wheelies in a controlled enviroment (air field, closed road, big open area), maybe if they threw in some professional entertainment too, some music playing and a pro stunter having a go etc.

so £5.00 per person and thousands of people is going to mean a lot of money. No idea how much it would cost or anything but to be honest people are going to do knee down etc anyway so they might as well spend money on controlling it rather than money on clearing up the mess when someone crashes into a crowd of people Rolling Eyes

But then they'll never do that really as it's less money they can make by doing people for cans/plates/visors/wheelies/knee down etc.

Thats the problem these days, it's too political and money orientated, it's not about what is right these days, it's about what makes the most money. Hence why I don't bother voting.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Bugger, if Bassest's pole goes anything like box hill expect there to be alot less stunts/bikes/fun etc. I was there at the box hill incident. Sounds quite similar, it was very busy and LOADS of people were doing stunts and there were alot of people watching. When it gets like that something bound to go wrong.

It would be great if they could close down bits of the road to let us do stunts etc but I can see it happening (legal reasons/insurance). They should do really. If people cant do stunts in one area they will just move to another.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:17 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
(air field, closed road, big open area)

Public Liability Insurance. Three words that basically stop that from happening.

YamsR6 wrote:
Hence why I don't bother voting.

Yeah, apathy, that'll change things.

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:30 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC's headline

Quote:
Five hurt as rally bike crashes

Whats a rally bike?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:30 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all too well about public liability insurance, I'm friends with the owner of a bike club, he runs the Beualieau (sp) show (hes co-ordinator) and has hosted events for his club including wheelie school and this boxing day is going to be a big bike event down wickham square in portsmouth with mini motos and stuff. Possibly some moto gp bikes on display too. But he has to sort out liability insurance etc for the events he runs, so I don't see how companies like "the wheelie school" and track day organises can get insurance to run those events whereas you cant get the cover for a proper organised stunt event such as the wheelie school but on a bigger scale.

I don't claim to know the answer to this problem I was just saying that's a way they could improve it if they can, obviously you've all made clear they can't so fair enough but something needs to be done as personally, I feel that in the next few years it's not going to be worth owning a bike.

I don't want to be without a bike and I'm sure no one else here does either.

The roads are so bad, I'm paranoid every time I go over the speed limit (when its safe too), I avoid certain bike meets for fear of getting done for my can and I wander past police cars around town in 4th gear to keep the noise down. Motorways you need eyes in the back of your head to stay safe from police.

Hence why I'm so keen on off roading / green laning lately, but now they're trying to close green lanes, so that just leaves full on off-roading or road riding, road riding isn't what it used to be (considering I've only been riding a year this sunday yet it's changed a fair bit since I started)

No idea what good complaining about this will do as it won't get the biking community anywhere, government will win all the time until the day of the public revolution Twisted Evil and I strongly believe there will be one in the next few years.

Either that or people will move abroad or something.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 11:37 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the report where it says high speed stunts.

I would like to see anyone do high speed stunts at bp in all the traffic and people.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:06 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I must admit I wince at how close people stand around the outside of the corner where people get their knee down at Bassets. After all, people doing that is when they are most likely to bin it, and if they do bin it then the bike is likely to try and go straight on, into where the crowd is.

Strangely there was quite a noticeable police presence at Bassets last night. There was a bike and car there pretty much perminantly, and compared to times in the past (although I left about 15~30 mins before the accident) there were not many people playing around (too crowded for a start).

Suspect the rider will get done for dangerous driving, and can say goodbye to a licence for a while, and then problems getting insurance for a long time.

Also suspect that they will clamp down on Bassets. Probably threaten the pub landlord with taking his licence away unless he discourages it (that is what they did at another local meet, under the excuse of the health and safety laws). They might not be able to do much about McDonalds, but they will probably have a try.

All the best

Keith

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 12:53 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Technically if rode leagaly with a standard can you would have nothing to worry about.

Though who the f**k wants to do that Thumbs Up Mr. Green Middle Finger .

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 13:53 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Strangely there was quite a noticeable police presence at Bassets last night. There was a bike and car there pretty much perminantly, and compared to times in the past (although I left about 15~30 mins before the accident) there were not many people playing around (too crowded for a start).

Keith

I would have said the oposite to that keith! Maybe I had my eyes closed but all I saw was one police bike ride past the pub in the few hours that I was there. Certainly not as many cops as normal.

And as for stunts, there were loads on the straight behind the pub. Lots of people going up and down getting their wheel up. We even saw a lad on a C90 do a pretty impressive wheelie. Oh and we saw a Skyline out drag a cbr600 Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ilovens125f's
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:22 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police bike stopped on the edge of the pub for about 4 mins and the a police cctv cam van went past. I was right next to macs when the crash happened, the police usally stay on the edge right next to the courner where it happened but to many people were their last nite and parking was a very big problem.

Mainly because the cars, they seem to have it in their heads that their are wanted in their super nova's crusing up and down.
saying this I saw a lot of kids getting dropped off by their parents and they were causing a problem. It needs to be more orgasised

Kev

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that can't be right. Riding at break-neck speeds on public roads!!! Unregulated. No chance. And now somebody gets hurt! All just so that someone can practice his racing skills. Mad

I get irate when I see these teen boy racers run up and down a stretch of public road on TV, before the Police move them on. I'm only surprised they don't act quicker and get a few prosectuted for dangerous driving. I'm sorry to say, the same applies to us bikers lot. Can't have it both ways.

I agree with a designated area (like track days) to do what you want though. But even here it's got to be shrouded in all aspects related to safety, bit like go-kart sites.

Anyway, hope the injured get better soon and can extend some forgivness to the rider.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news, seems like the injured woman died today. condolences to all her family.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677&documentID=199413

bunny-chan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To screw up and have an accident is one thing, but to take anothers life in the process. I do actually feel sorry for the rider. I don't think I could bear the guilt. I hope the family members can forgive him and condolences to the family.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3