BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia rs 125 problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:27 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered if anyone knows anything about the carb settings on an Aprilia RS 125, when we took the carb apart to clean it out, we never (silly I know) made note of the turns on the pilot screw, after checking the manual we found out that it doesn't actually tell you the settings for some weird reason.

After checking the help section, the weird noise from the engine I could be hearing is where the pilot screw is too far in/out and the petrol/air mixture is out.

Thanks in advance if you can help! Thumbs Up

tshort2007
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:32 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no set turn. all bikes are slightly different. what carb you runing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:23 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, how do you tell?

tshort2007
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell us your full bike model and year, and i will se what i can find
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:42 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia RS125 2000-2001 on a Y

tshort2007
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:52 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many screws yo got on the carb. from memory, 1 big screw moves the side up and down, 1small screw changes the idle air flow.

Turn the small screw 2 1/2 turns out, and start the bike. turn the screw in until it rough idles, then turn the screw out COUNTING THE TURNS until it rough idles again. half the number of turns you counted, and turn it back in this much.

then adjust the large screw until you get ideal tickover

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:17 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 1 big black knob (I know, sorry) which you turn to adjust the idle speed, then there's the small screw just under it and to the right which, which the book says is the pilot screw.

I will try that, thanks a lot!

tshort2007
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

no probs! let me know how you get on

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:04 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed Thumbs Up the engine noise that I had been hearing has gone, we have set the carb up properly (God I hope so), so just getting the fairings back on now, will be doing 1 last picture then taking it for a ride, and tomorrow booking it in for an MOT and then renewing the tax.

Thanks for the help Tshort! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:38 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the noise is still there, but the bike is sounding a lot better, so I just hope everything is ok

bradh511
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 10 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked top and bottom end bearings ? if u take the head off is the barrel scratched

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:18 - 11 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought the engine from ebay, the guy said it had just had a complete overhaul on the engine, but he couldn't afford to put the engine back in the bike he had, so he decided to just sell the engine.

We haven't taken anything off the engine except for the clutch/gear plate and that was because the gears were jammed in 3rd/4th when we recieved the engine, so I had to change them by hand.

The noise itself seems to be coming more from the top of the engine, and it seems louder on the right hand side rather than the left, the left side is a lot quiter, I'm also thinking as we have put the fairings on it's elevating the noise a lot more than it is.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:32 - 11 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booking the bike into a mechanic tomorrow for him to do the once over on it, just incase we've missed something/done something wrong when putting the engine in, and it'll put my mind at ease about the noise I've been hearing.

That and it still needs an MOT >( Thumbs Down

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:08 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it to the garage today, on the way to my cousins house, it seemed like there was a rev limiter on the bike, it wouldn't go over certain revs, then when changing into 3>4 4>5 it felt like the gears weren't doing anything, was changing up gears and the revs weren't dropping, and I couldn't gain any extra speed.

Same thing was happening while riding to the garage, I got the bike upto about 50, the bike cut out, wouldn't go down into first gear, turned the ignition off for a minute, restarted the engine, went down into first, and I went off again.

I don't know what the normal temp for a bike is, but when the bike cut out after turning the ignition back on, the temp was sitting at 83, when riding the temp was sitting around 68-75, so I don't know.

d-bug
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:49 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mito evo normal temp is about 60 to 65 tops , but giving on a hot day maybe a bit more , but i all so guess if your giving it beans then it will go higher ,

all so u said , " the guy said it had just had a complete overhaul on the engine "

is that a full rebuild ? or just a oil change ?????

best not to see what the engine can do till u sort all the problems out mate or you might find your self looking for a other engine again soon !

all the best

d-bug

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:18 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said it had the gearbox overhauled, as well as the top end, you could see the top end was done, as everything was new and shiney, but I'm not 100% sure the gearbox was done, or if it was, when it was done.

Waiting for the mechanic to ring me today or tomorrow and let me know what's wrong.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 13 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you cleaned the filter in the carb itself, there is a small one where the petrol pipe joins the carb from memory.

OGR

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 03:42 - 14 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had a friend clean it out, he used all the proper tools and stuff to do it, so we know the carb is clean, and the tank is too, washed it out for about 40 mins in the shower twice, family wasn't happy about the smell of petrol, but oh well!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2