Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car suggestions please? **Car died, need replacement asap!**

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Car suggestions please? **Car died, need replacement asap!** Reply with quote

Edit: The french piece of shit stranded me halfway to Derby last night, probably head gasket so need to find something sharpish!

Budget is only £500-ish though, so anyone suggest what would be best for my money in this instance? Exclamation Question

Cheers Thumbs Up Smile

I know a lot of BCF-ers know their cars, so thought you might be able to help suggest a suitable car for me.

My current car is a battered but reliable '95 Peugeot 306 XLD, I've been driving it for the best part of 8 years now and think it's time for something slightly newer.

It's been fine and has racked up nearly 125,000 miles without major incident, but it is really old (doesn't even have power steering) and I'd like something that I feel safe driving my kids in for any kind of distance.

I don't have much money to spend. I judge I could save a grand by October, probably be lucky to get £200 for the Peugeot.

I need:
Reasonable safety features (more than a 15 year old Pug has!)
Power steering
Enough power to sit at 80mph comfortably
Reasonable MPG
Not a crazy insurance bracket
Reliability and parts availability

I'd like:
Aircon
More than 4 seats
Decent boot space
Reasonable tax band

I really know little about cars, so have no idea where to start. I'd consider another Peugeot since I've been so impressed with the running of this one, but don't know how newer models fare/whether I've just been lucky.

Before the Peugeot I drove a Volvo 440 which I loved the power of. Not sure if Volvos still live up to the 'tank' label with regards safety these days?

I'm not too bothered about tax bands, as low tax cars tend to be slow, small and shite. Would take another diesel, unless they're high maintenance these days.

I use a small local independant garage so would prefer to avoid obscure makes/models.

I'm not too fussed how it looks, I can park so wouldn't mind an estate or MPV.

I do a 180 mile motorway round trip every weekend, and a few <2 mile runs Mon-Fri.

Any suggestions of models/years I should be looking at?

I guess my range will be ten year old cars, but if there isn't anything fitting my criteria in the budget I would have to rethink my timings.

Parker's Guide at the ready! Mr. Green Cheers Thumbs Up :

Last edited by Mudskipper on 12:26 - 31 Jul 2010; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for a big car with Extras old Volvos are pretty good, We had an 840 T5 Estate which we took to Lemans it cost £700 and was fully loaded with extras. It was a really nice car for the money. It's abit juicey which is the only downside.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a newer pug 306? I had an x-reg 306 2.0HDi. I think it was a meridian or summat and it was the facelift model with the round front fogs etc. It had plenty of poke, awesome mpg, air bags for driver and passenger, PAS, air-con, auto windsreen wipers, radio controls on the steering stem, remote central locking, leccy windows and a CD-player.

One of the most planted cars I've ever driven! Probably quite cheap nowadays too.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've currently got a 52 reg. 307sw 1.9d. Probalably get an older one for not much more than you want to spend.

I need:
Reasonable safety features (more than a 15 year old Pug has!) Yes
Power steering Yes
Enough power to sit at 80mph comfortably Yes
Reasonable MPG Seems ok to me Laughing
Not a crazy insurance bracket I pay just over £100fc, I'm old mind Wink
Reliability and parts availability Yes

I'd like:
Aircon Yes
More than 4 seats Has 5 but can add another 2 in the boot if needed.
Decent boot space Yes
Reasonable tax band £125 for 12 months

Cptn. Awesome
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:04 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon maybe an oldish Mondeo. I think the previous generation models (earlier ones) will be about your price range and they're pretty darn good too. The 2.0 TDCI engine is good as well.

Check this CLICKY

Naughty Fawbish: "An eagle is but an eagle until the suns flare blinds his prey." - Fawbish, 2010.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies Thumbs Up Very Happy

Sugartits wrote:
If your looking for a big car with Extras old Volvos are pretty good, We had an 840 T5 Estate which we took to Lemans it cost £700 and was fully loaded with extras. It was a really nice car for the money. It's abit juicey which is the only downside.

I'll keep Volvos in mind then. Thumbs Up

Mr.Everready wrote:
I've currently got a 52 reg. 307sw 1.9d. Probalably get an older one for not much more than you want to spend.

Oooh, I like. Smile Might have to find another grand! Laughing

Poseidon wrote:
What about a newer pug 306? I had an x-reg 306 2.0HDi. I think it was a meridian or summat and it was the facelift model with the round front fogs etc. It had plenty of poke, awesome mpg, air bags for driver and passenger, PAS, air-con, auto windsreen wipers, radio controls on the steering stem, remote central locking, leccy windows and a CD-player.

One of the most planted cars I've ever driven! Probably quite cheap nowadays too.

I am leaning towards a newer 306, I am fond of them and change is scary! Wink I see there are 306 estates too. Thinking

Cptn. Awesome wrote:
I reckon maybe an oldish Mondeo. I think the previous generation models (earlier ones) will be about your price range and they're pretty darn good too. The 2.0 TDCI engine is good as well.

Check this CLICKY

Cheers, Mondeos did cross my mind. I am very wary of mileage though as I intend to put lots on, so would prefer to have it low-ish to start with. I understand that in my budget this limits my choice though. Sad

Keep 'em coming! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an early Ford Focus? Will meet all the criteria, should be reliable (ours has been) and are pretty good to drive too Thumbs Up

Cptn. Awesome
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:07 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
What about an early Ford Focus? Will meet all the criteria, should be reliable (ours has been) and are pretty good to drive too Thumbs Up

And in theory should be cheaper to buy than the same age Mondeo. Might get a slightly less powerful engine but your car also weighs less.

Naughty Fawbish: "An eagle is but an eagle until the suns flare blinds his prey." - Fawbish, 2010.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: The french piece of shit stranded me halfway to Derby last night, probably head gasket so need to find something sharpish!

Budget is only £500-ish though, so anyone suggest what would be best for my money in this instance? Exclamation Question

Cheers Thumbs Up Smile

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that budget, K11 Nissan Micra. Super reliable, good mpg, a little on the small side.

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that budget, I'd go for a Peugeot diesel. I had an old 406 Estate, which was running very reliably with 121k miles on the clock. Had aircon, loads fo space and the tax wasn't too bad. Go for a 1.9 TD and you'll save over the more expensive to tax 2l+.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

Azonicben
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:00 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dads had a L plater 214 for 10+ years hes sent it round the clock and only stopped using it recently due to age. no reliability issues apart from the general wear n tear items.

Similar to => https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-ROVER-214-SEI-RED-GREY-/250675443212?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a5d6bb60c
Dirt cheap too Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:12 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As shite as Peugeots are (electrics wise anyway) you just can't beat their old diesels as they were way ahead of the competition IMO 10+ years ago. They are still decent engines today, but the competition has caught up and passed them.

I haven't looked at how much they are, but I reckon you could get a 2000 Peugeot 306 diesel in your price bracket. I've never owned them, but I still think they look really sexy, even though the interior is gash. Like every Peugeot ever made.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:17 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour is awful, but looks good for price only 89,000 miles. Bodywork looks really good for age and the red doesn't seem to have faded.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201030364464133/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/fuel-type/diesel/quantity-of-doors/5/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/price-to/1000/model/306/make/peugeot/postcode/bs70ll/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

If this is completely HPI clear and kosher, looks like a lovely car for under a grand. Part leather interior as well!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201028363608956/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/manual/fuel-type/diesel/quantity-of-doors/5/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/price-to/1000/model/306/make/peugeot/page/2/postcode/bs70ll/radius/1501?logcode=p
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its always said in low budget what car threads, but I'd just see what is about for the money rather then looking for a particular model for £500.
For that kind of money even the most reliable car could be a complete dog and something that has a reputation for being shit could end up giving years of trouble free motoring.

I have an old Volvo 440 1.6, it looks shit, drives crap and is really slow but it was cheap, is pretty loaded with toys and has proved reliable so far. Not sure I go so far as to recommend it but its in your budget and would do the job, mine has a Renault engine I think Sad

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punto

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 31 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my '95 Audi 100 estate - all the toys, no rust, 130k with full Audi service history......£205 from the Eblag. They go for silly cheap prices.

One on there now for £150 with 19hrs to go:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320567533345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_948

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:37 - 01 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's mate has a VW Passat, Estate & Diesel.

It's safe, sure it has what you need? and not too expensive. Thumbs Up

Such as:..

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-SE-TDI-SILVER-/160462957224?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item255c566aa8

https://i.ebayimg.com/24/!ByTBeFgCWk~$(KGrHqZ,!h!Ew5KeelPZBMRIMTstfg~~_12.JPG

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 01 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thumbs Up

To add insult to injury, in the night some half-breed fucktard has wrenched the near side wing mirror off (the other month a similar mutant jumped on my bonnet and dented it) so I think I'll be after something rough cosmetically purely because this will no doubt happen again.

Fucking sociopathic scum. Crying or Very sad

karoshi
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:06 - 01 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're set on getting space, seats, reliability & economy for under £500 and don't mind not having street cred.. then i'd suggest what I used to have, Cavalier 1.7TD:

- last ones are on a '95 M plate (ok so it's not newer)
- You'll find them for under £500 (I paid £250 for one in 2007)
- I sold mine on for £200 with 210,000 miles on it after 2.5 years of running, in that time I spent less than £400 on maintenance, parts and mots (mostly a water pump and front discs)
- ~45mpg on runs, ~40mpg in town
- driver's airbag
- fine at motorway speed (accelleration is a little slow though)
- good heater, room for a decent stereo, don't think they had aircon though?

if you go for one make sure it's a manual and definately make sure it's the Isuzu 1.7TD engine and not the vauxhall one.. it's black and has "turbo" written on it in red, looks like this:

https://www.speshul.org/random/isuzuEngine2.jpg

They're not fancy, but as far as a reliable economical box on wheels goes they're pretty much the definition Smile

Or, if you want to stay with the french and add an air of the roulette table to your reliability and maintenance bills, go for a Citroen BX.. I know a couple of people who really rate the 1.7TD or the 1.9D for comfortable mileage Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1