BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda H100

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jingeroo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Honda H100 Reply with quote

It may be a stupid question but how do you clean the inside of the exhaust of a H100 to stop it getting clogged and how often should this be done?

Have only had four strokes before so have never needed to do this before.

Also does anyone know if a cg125 engine or a similar 125 four stroke engine would fit into a h100 sj if the engine in there packs up in the future.

Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Honda H100 Reply with quote

jingeroo wrote:
It may be a stupid question but how do you clean the inside of the exhaust of a H100 to stop it getting clogged and how often should this be done?

Have only had four strokes before so have never needed to do this before.

Also does anyone know if a cg125 engine or a similar 125 four stroke engine would fit into a h100 sj if the engine in there packs up in the future.

Thanks

The H100 is reliable and very easy to work on. I'd also say they are every bit as fast as a CG125, accelerate better and are much more fun to ride.

If the engine packs up, it would usually be easy (and reasonably cheap) to fix.

As long as you never run out of 2-stroke oil, and treat it to the occasional new sparkplug, you should be fine.

There is a screw that holds the baffle into the end of the exhaust. Screws up from the bottom at the very end of the exhaust. Undo this then pull the baffle out (looks like a core in the end of the exhaust, it pulls straight out backwards but it can be stiff.)

Once it's out either roast it with a blowlamp or pour a little petrol over it and set it on fire to burn off any excess oil. Once it's cool, brush the carbon deposits off with a wire brush then refit

jingeroo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, will have a go later on.

H100 engine is running sweet and really nippy, but heard lots of bad things from people about piston and ring wearing quickly and need of rebuilds every few thousand miles if you ride it hard.

This may not be true, but just wondered about engine swop to a more reliable hassle free 4 stroke if it did go wrong.

Also, does anyone know how to get condensation out of the clocks. I have heated up the plastic which works but then it comes back so what sealant is recommended?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:37 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Taking cheapness of bits, ease of working on and servicing requirements into account the H100 is probably more reliable than the CG.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:20 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingeroo wrote:
Thanks for the reply, will have a go later on.

H100 engine is running sweet and really nippy, but heard lots of bad things from people about piston and ring wearing quickly and need of rebuilds every few thousand miles if you ride it hard.

This may not be true, but just wondered about engine swop to a more reliable hassle free 4 stroke if it did go wrong.

Also, does anyone know how to get condensation out of the clocks. I have heated up the plastic which works but then it comes back so what sealant is recommended?

You'll probably get a good 20k miles out of one before the piston slap gets deafening and it is not pulling up hills any more.

At that point you strip the top end off (8 nuts to undo). Buy a new oversize piston (£21.50) a new small end bearing (£5), gasket set (£10) and have the barrel rebored (£25). Put it all together and it's good as new. £61.50 and you're good for another 20k miles.

In harsh reality, some obnoxious wee chavvy bastard will have stolen and wrecked it long before you need to worry about the engine wearing out.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to clean out a two stroke pipe is to put a stop (preferably a large rubber cork) in one end and fill it up with a caustic soda solution, the leave that over night before flushing it out with petrol the following day. CS is extremely corrosive and dangerous if you're not very careful, but it does a fantastic job of dissolving carbon from inside the exhaust. I do my RXS about every 20,000 miles.

An H100 is unlikely to need more than one such clean out in its lifetime Wink The top end does wear very rapidly in my own experience, certainly out of all proportion to the modest performance, but as with any bike, the better you treat it the longer it'll last. On the plus side, the H handles very well and spares, even now, are plentiful, cheap and pretty easy to come by.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

caustic soda, where from?

I know this is an old post, but just where can I get it?

I only see Soda crystals for sale

cheers

trisers
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 07 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:

I only see Soda crystals for sale

That's the stuff...sodium hydroxide (NaOH) i believe. Make up a strong solution with hot water, use gloves and goggles though, it's nasty stuff!

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, i'll remember the gloves!

Been playing with this stuff today using an ultrasonice cleaner I bought yesterday.

Hopefully i can clean my carb with this stuff.

Have tried cleaning my mucky and greasy wd40 nozzle and it has cleaned it like new!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:36 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Soda crystals are a water softner (sodium carbonate). These will not touch the carbon deposits on an exhaust.

You're after Caustic soda which is Sodium Hydroxide. This will dissolve carbon deposits, skin, aluminium, eyes, fat etc.

It's sold as drain cleaner. They do it in Wilkinsons among other places (most hardware stores/ironmongers will stock it).

As has been said it is VERY caustic and rather dangerous stuff to handle.

Mix it up in a plastic bucket, not a metal one. Always add the crystals to water while gently stirring and NOT water to the crystals, the reaction can be somewhat vigorous. It can be anyway so always wear gloves and eye protection when handling it.

Caustic solution gets HOT when it is mixed up. I've seen it boil if mixed too strong and too quickly.

You have been warned.

A potato makes a good bung for the end of the exhaust. Just dispose of it where some animal isn't going to try to eat it.

DO NOT PUT CAUSTIC SODA IN YOUR ULTRASONIC CLEANER. There is every chance it will dissolve parts of it. Even if it doesn't, the ultrasonics will aerosolise a small amount of the fluid. I dread to think what that would do to your lungs/sinuses.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stinkwheel for the heads up!

I was expecting this as the soda crystals didnt have any warning labels on them!

So i should expect to find Sodium Hydroxide on the back of bottles under its ingreidents hopefully?!

cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:30 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
Thanks Stinkwheel for the heads up!

I was expecting this as the soda crystals didnt have any warning labels on them!

So i should expect to find Sodium Hydroxide on the back of bottles under its ingreidents hopefully?!

cheers

Wilkinsons do it.
https://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/1159440/1159440_m.jpg

Boots the chemist do it.

It is also marketed as"Jeyes Kleen off".

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently a big vat of hot caustic soda used to be a common sight in workshops for cleaning steel parts.

Remember not to chuck in some ally absent-mindedly though! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:16 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homebase do Caustic Soda. Its not as strong as you can get it, but it worked perfectly well on my MZ exhaust.

Its in a white bottle with a red cap and its in the plumbing section under 'drain cleaner'. As everyone else here has said, be careful with it. Don't let the dry crystals touch you as even the smallest amount of moisture will cause them to react violently.

With my MZ exhaust I also tried to use petrol, and it didn't work as well as the CS but I did succeed in making a nice jet engine/flame thrower type thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

With my MZ exhaust I also tried to use petrol, and it didn't work as well as the CS but I did succeed in making a nice jet engine/flame thrower type thing.

I had fun doing that with a rxs zorst. Filled it with white spirit and put it vertically to get a bit of a chimney effect going on. Lit the bottom with a blowtorch and after I got enough heat in it , it burnt with a nice bubbling noise and smoke came out the top.

I simply blew the smoke out the top and for some reason it then exploded and started burning with foot long flames coming out of the top.

It took me a while to stop laughing at the randomness of having a pipe explode in my face from simply blowing over the top.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips guys, sounds rather good for what I want to do with the exhaust!

i'm thinking of doing this outside with all these accidents!

So wedge in potato in the end as a bung, hole in ground, put pipe in ground and fill with half boiling water half way, add soda and fill to the brim.

Sounds good?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:10 - 10 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

MZ 2-strokes have a nearly mathematically perfect double cone expansion chamber exhaust. What the designer of that exhaust didn't know about pressure wave effects in burning gas is quite literally not worth knowing about. Their ability to turn themselves into a self-sustaining pulsejet is well known, right up until the point where the gas reaches a perfect stoichiometric ratio... How far did it get across the yard when it finally went bang? I've seen one go 15 feet.

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 08 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

It took me a while to stop laughing at the randomness of having a pipe explode in my face from simply blowing over the top.

Yeah... laughing. Funny, I remember it was more you screaming hysterically and running in circles uncontrollably for about 5 minutes, so loud that my housemate, 3 stories up and 50 yards away opened his window to see what the hell was going on Razz
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 197 days between these two posts...

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Their ability to turn themselves into a self-sustaining pulsejet is well known, right up until the point where the gas reaches a perfect stoichiometric ratio... How far did it get across the yard when it finally went bang? I've seen one go 15 feet.

*Goes outside, grabs MZ Exhaust and a can of petrol*

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

MZ 2-strokes have a nearly mathematically perfect double cone expansion chamber exhaust. What the designer of that exhaust didn't know about pressure wave effects in burning gas is quite literally not worth knowing about. Their ability to turn themselves into a self-sustaining pulsejet is well known, right up until the point where the gas reaches a perfect stoichiometric ratio... How far did it get across the yard when it finally went bang? I've seen one go 15 feet.

So is the convergant cone/stinger on these bikes actually hidden inside the comically long ugly hulking great silencer/downpipe assembly? If so i never knew that tbh!

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the useless bump, I forgot I was reading an old thread
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1