Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM EXC EXCF - whats the diff ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: KTM EXC EXCF - whats the diff ? Reply with quote

What is the difference between an EXC and a EXCF ?
Also, 250cc or 300cc 2 stroke ... is there a big difference (more torque / some form of engine breaking on the 300?)

Just wondering like Shifty

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the F stands for 4-stroke

Like a WR250 F / 450F are both 4t.

You don't find ktm 300 EXC- F (300 being the 2t of course)

Last edited by ben_wheely on 20:40 - 25 Mar 2010; edited 1 time in total

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the WR250F was the race spec enduro version whereas the WR250R was the more toned down version? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 20:38 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheely wrote:
I think the F stands for 4-stroke

Like my WR250 F

Embarassed thanks Embarassed

Move on everyone .... nothing interesting to read here... thankyou.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:41 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:
I thought the WR250F was the race spec enduro version whereas the WR250R was the more toned down version? Confused

Yeah thats correct.

God knows what the R stands for. But you would have to be a bit ghay to buy a WR250R IMO.

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking through the specs and the difference is in the valves!! Obviously both 4 stroke.

Everyone I know with the WR has the F and loves them, as do all the reviews.

I've been recommended the KTM 200 as a race bike but I need to improve a bit yet to do it any justice. Have a couple of race/training days lined up so I'll get to test one then!!

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 20:51 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:
Just checking through the specs and the difference is in the valves!! Obviously both 4 stroke.

I've been recommended the KTM 200 as a race bike but I need to improve a bit yet to do it any justice. Have a couple of race/training days lined up so I'll get to test one then!!

The WR F is a competition enduro bike (like my 400 or Blues 250)
The WR R is a road biased version ... with many differences.

I love my F .... BUT, its too heavy to manhandle about easily.
I need something lighter.

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:56 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:

Oh right, i never knew. I know it is more toned down for a more road biased bike. It looks a little different too, more road biased again like the radiator shrouds are built into the petrol tank, so IMO wouldn't make a very good offroad bike.

Yeah i agree, I love my 250F

Ok, you planning on racing ??

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:07 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM EXC are enduro based and SX are motorcross based.

KTM EXC 125,200,250,300 2-strokes

KTM EXC-F 250 4-stroke

KTM EXC 400,450,530 4-strokes (all the same bike and weight part from differnet top ends.)
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 21:13 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
KTM EXC are enduro based and SX are motorcross based.
KTM EXC 125,200,250,300 2-strokes
KTM EXC-F 250 4-stroke
KTM EXC 400,450,530 4-strokes (all the same bike and weight part from differnet top ends.)

so! EXC 300 (2t) and EXC400 (4t) .... much of a weight difference ya reckon ?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:13 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R in the WRs is a completely different bike which is a trail bike - a much more sensible use of a 4 stroke Wink.

As above, EXC is 2 stroke with the 'F' four stroke, but it's not always mentioned - in some sizes it can be confusing (ie 250) when they're described as the same.

You do get some engine braking, but it's generally best not to make use of it for too long.
The 300 shouldn't have much more peak power, but does have more midrange and low down pull.
In some cases it doesn't feel like it's got more go than the big 4 strokes, but the reality is when you blip the throttle you get as much or more 'go'.

Tonka; unfortunately my 200 is going to be out of hours for a while, but you're welcome a play when I get it sorted (probably towards the end of the year.) The 200 really encourages you to make the most of it, but it can get tiring as it's a rev-hungry beast with a big bite if you get it wrong (and when you get it right Smile ). Most fun bike I've ridden or owned so far.

See the KTM uk site for weights of current models - a bit over 10kg, which translates to about 10% more weight - going to be a bigger difference compared to your WR of course.
The 'feel' of the my 200 is definitely lighter than the stats suggest compared to my Hussy 501 which is listed lighter than the KTM four strokes.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to take into account that with weight comes 'surefootedness'.

My KTM is a bit of a madam at times .... but personally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCNUBClSIZE#t=9m25s

Cool

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
You have to take into account that with weight comes 'surefootedness'.

It depends how much power you have behind the weight Smile.

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheely wrote:
Ok, you planning on racing ??

Hmm, thinking about doing some enduros mainly to get out and also gain experience that I can't get on the lanes. Basically I want to get riding overseas and have been tempted by some folk I've met recently who all 'trained' by entering enduros!

I feel that my 'class' may be a tad lonely!! Embarassed

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:21 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from fast and have managed mid-placed finishes in the hare and hounds I've done - including the first one on my 690, though partly because so many dropped out!

Lane end anyone, first event on the main chec calendar?..
https://www.chilternhillsenduroclub.co.uk/Events.htm
Hopefully I'll at least have the 690 ready to go for then.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:25 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringgg dinggg dinggg Cool

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'm far from fast and have managed mid-placed finishes in the hare and hounds I've done....

I think that it's the more technical stuff that's provided on enduros that I'm looking for - that and the 3 hour endurance/fitness test too!! I'll never be super fast, just upright on the bike is my aim!! Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:35 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't fall off a few times you're not trying Wink.

To clarify - do you mean time card enduros?
Plenty of technical stuff on Hare and Hounds and CHEC has 4 hour events - but with a convenient hour lunch break half way Smile. In some CHEC ones they have had 'easy' and hard routes so you can do the proper technical steep up/down stuff or avoid it if you're not feeling so brave.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 25 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

boundy wrote:
ringgg dinggg dinggg Cool

One has to ask, is the Silky's allegiance to the 4t wavering?!!? .... Shocked

Has he finally let go of the ghey??? Very Happy

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you don't fall off a few times you're not trying Wink.

To clarify - do you mean time card enduros?
Plenty of technical stuff on Hare and Hounds and CHEC has 4 hour events - but with a convenient hour lunch break half way Smile. In some CHEC ones they have had 'easy' and hard routes so you can do the proper technical steep up/down stuff or avoid it if you're not feeling so brave.

I've been to watch a couple of enduros and I think that they were lap timed over 3 hours (some of the less fit riders were taking a break in the middle Shocked ) and on some of the very difficult bits there was an easy option, which looked more and more appealing as the ground was churned up and casualties collected!!

Our local enduro organiser has just cancelled this weekend's ride due to the bad weather forecast, but I'm thinking about volunteering to marshall one of the easier courses, as a gentle introduction!

TBH I just love being out on the bike, so I'd be happy to have a go at anything. My only proviso is that I'm good enough to not be a hazard or risk to anyone else. 2 years ago I'd never even been on a bike or paid any attention to them, so it's all new to me! I'll look up the details of those CHEC ones you've mentioned, thanks! Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:18 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s got a set time limit and you’ve got to do as many laps as possible it’s a ‘Hare and Hounds’ (or Hare Scramble, used in america more). A time card enduro has timed stages and intermediate stages, you may do them more than once, but it’s a set number of times. You have to be at the start of the timed stage at exactly the right minute (not early or late).
The ‘rallies’ are run on a time card format, but are generally a bit easier – as you often big beemers etc entering.

CHEC, as you’ll read, is a relatively ‘easy’ friendly club – they make a point of it being ‘friendly’ and that there’s ‘no racing’ as such. Obviously it’s still good manerrs to move aside for the faster riders (of which there are many more than me.)
I wouldn’t mind trying some rallies this year too.

They’re definitely always happy for more marshals if you don’t want to enter quite yet – though what’s your excuse for not entering properly Razz – mine is my bike isn’t working yet and the GSXR is still too shiny for off roading Razz.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1