Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pinlock visors ? what is it/does it do

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Pinlock visors ? what is it/does it do Reply with quote

ok guys an gals i'm confused by this , what is a pinlock visor and how is it different from a normal visor..
i just bought a Nolan helmet with drop down sunvisor and my mate said OHH it has a pinlock too Rolling Eyes
is that good bad or normal?
forgive the noob questions we all have to learn somehow
Thumbs Up
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pin lock visor has a pin each side, onto this you fit an anti fog insert. Unlike the fog city ones they are not stick on (they clip onto the pins) so you can change them for clear or tinted very quickly. Pin locks are good!

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2007_Shoei_Clear_Shield_W_Pinlock_PinsCX-1V_Helmet_Clear.jpg

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

strag wrote:
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2007_Shoei_Clear_Shield_W_Pinlock_PinsCX-1V_Helmet_Clear.jpg

yea thats it it kinda has a thin extra visor stuck between 2 small plastic pins.. clue is in the name i guess there ..
so i could get a lightly tinted insert to fit that then? it does already have a drop down shade..
i am guessing its more of a cold weather anti misting thing than summer then?
cheers guys
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeed wrote:
i am guessing its more of a cold weather anti misting thing than summer then?
cheers guys

Correct. Although you'd likely be surprised how much the visor would mist up without it, even on a normal day.

Top tip; DO NOT rub it to try and clean it with anything. They are very soft, and scratch like buggery. Best way is to just hold it under the hot tap I found.

Also, a proper fully tinted visor is better than any insert, stops the light leaking round the edges, and makes you look like a badass Cool

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very useful for when it is raining. You can keep your visor closed all the time without any misting.... also useful when you stop at traffic lights as you don't have to lift it up. Although I do because it gets stuffy when stopped. Good when going slowly such as filtering.

I wouldn't ride without one, I love mine and recommend it Thumbs Up

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two visors, one clear, one tinted and two pinlock inserts, one clear, one tinted.

I find that if it's like it has been the past few days I use the tinted visor and the clear pinlock as it's going to be sunny all day and I'll be home before dark. If I'm going to be late I'll take the clear visor and tinted pinlock in, carry the clear pinlock. You're not permitted to ride with tinted after dark Rolling Eyes - realistically it's really hard to see if you do ever get caught out, you'll end up riding with it up anyway and this time of year the bugs hurt!!

The only issue I have with the pinlock inserts is that the standard ones leave the top edge in your field of vision and can take some getting used to. If you can get them, try the racing ones that have the extra lip at the top to prevent this. Only snag can be that the visor might not close quite as snuggly, they're not always easy to get, plus they're not really permitted for road use!

I wouldn't be without my pinlock system! Thumbs Up

sk8wheeler
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:32 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it's possible to fit the pinlock pins to other helmet visors that don't already have them, so that even if you're not initially set up to take a pinlock you can do a bit of DIY and add it yourself. All I'd say on this is be careful drilling into your visor, and have a spare handy in case it cracks!

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:46 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk8wheeler wrote:
I've heard it's possible to fit the pinlock pins to other helmet visors that don't already have them

Correct, my tinted visor wasn't pinlock ready. Took it to Bikers world in Birmingham and for the price of the pinlock (£20) they fitted it to my visor for free Very Happy

Time to picture whore my helemt

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/mach206/IMAG0001.jpg[/img]

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:
The only issue I have with the pinlock inserts is that the standard ones leave the top edge in your field of vision and can take some getting used to. If you can get them, try the racing ones that have the extra lip at the top to prevent this. Only snag can be that the visor might not close quite as snuggly, they're not always easy to get, plus they're not really permitted for road use!

Do you ride everywhere with your chin on the tank? I don't fin it an issue, but I do find the extra high ones a PITA as they catch on the rubber lip of the visor opening.

Also, they are very easy to get as they now no longer make the standard pinlocks, only the dumb extra high ones. If anyone can prove me wrong and show me where I can buy a standard one, please let me know by reply or PM!

Also all pinlocks are road legal, even the darkest tinted ones. It's only the visor itself that cannot be dark tinted.

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
Do you ride everywhere with your chin on the tank?

Shifty Embarassed ............errrr, yes pretty much! I'm only little, so haven't really got much choice!!

Noxious89123 wrote:
Also, they are very easy to get as they now no longer make the standard pinlocks, only the dumb extra high ones. If anyone can prove me wrong and show me where I can buy a standard one, please let me know by reply or PM!

Buy them from here

Noxious89123 wrote:
Also all pinlocks are road legal, even the darkest tinted ones. It's only the visor itself that cannot be dark tinted.

The tinted race spec pinlock insert I had originally in 2008 when I bought my lid said race use only on it and was 'bought' from under the counter, so was not legal for road use. I bought the normal one this year, as I bought them both online.

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is for a Shoei, and I have an Arai lid. My bad, I should have specified. And whilst they don't specify "standard" or "Extra high", all of racevisors.co.uk's Arai pinlocks are extra high. I emailed them after receiving a high one after ordering a standard one.

Surprised about the dark pinlock... It's only your visor that legally has to meet certain standards. Just like you can wear sunglasses as dark as you like without any issues.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread hijack -

Anyone know where I can get a pinlock insert for a HJC FG-15 pinlock ready visor???

Can't find the feckers anywhere Mr. Green .

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
Thread hijack -

Anyone know where I can get a pinlock insert for a HJC FG-15 pinlock ready visor???

Here Pinlock shop

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

strag wrote:
DonnyBrago wrote:
Thread hijack -

Here Pinlock shop

Legend Thumbs Up .

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin locks FTW. £15 approx we sold them for -
As above, clean them with warm water and leave to dry on the window still.
Worth every penny Thumbs Up

bigtruck74
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:54 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will these beasties fit on a Caberg V2r - does anyone know?

calyx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtruck74 wrote:
Will these beasties fit on a Caberg V2r - does anyone know?

Ask them?

info@pinlockshop.co.uk
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1