Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike parking at Gatwick airport

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

manuka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 27 Sep 2010    Post subject: Motorbike parking at Gatwick airport Reply with quote

Dear all,

I am off on my jollies on wednesday night, and I am flying out of Gatwick for the first time (and yes I regretting shunning Manchester airport already!)

Does anyone have any experience of long stay parking (7 days) with their motorbike at the south terminal.

The website for the airport states that motorbike parking is free in 'car park 2' which is helpfully vague, they don't have anchor points, and bikes parked outside the official area will be towed!

I will be arriving at the airport just after midnight and suspect friendly staff to ask directions off will be scarce.

many thanks, kat

manuka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update in case this of use to anyone.

Free motorbike parking is available in car park 2 (red) in the short-term stay arae of the south terminal.

The motorbike bays are up on the second and third levels.
You have to collect a ticket on the way in,
and then on the way out BEFORE going to the barrier, go to the customer service portakabin and get the ticket validated and zeroed.

I didn't realise this and ended up at the barrier with the ticket requesting £240 to let me exit. The the staff tried to get me to back the bike away from the barrier to reset it: a tricky business when I was loaded up with holiday luggage and no reverse gear and a sleeping policeman behind me!

This worked out as a cheap alternative to taking the car, and the money I saved paid for my sailing lessons. Bonus.

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is bike parking free then?
What happened with the barrier, was that the wrong price and how much did you have to pay in the end?

manuka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike parking is free, and I had an email confirming it from the airport manager before I arrived just in case of bother.

There is no sign at the exit to say you have to get your ticket validated before you can put in into the exit barrier, but I know now.
They need to change it to zero payment which they can do once they see you are on a bike, and you just have to fill in a form with the bike registration number. I presume this is so no-one can cheat the system as its a CCTV monitored car-park, but automatic ticket barriers.

So yup: 7 days free bike parking at gatwick airport right next to the departure area.

manuka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, if I had spent 7 days in the short-stay car park with my car it would have cost me £240!

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere to lock your bike to? Or are you not allowed to? (never know with airports)

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuka wrote:
oh, if I had spent 7 days in the short-stay car park with my car it would have cost me £240!

How about if you had stayed in the long stay car park, because lets face it, 7 days isn't a short stay?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's info here

https://www.gatwickairport.com/transport/driving-to-gatwick/

There's not motorbike bays per se but spaces in the corners where you can fit a bike.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 11 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, a bit late, but you could have left it my house and caught the bus up the road to Gatwick. In fact anyone who does want to do that in the future, (car/motorbike), contact me and I'll decide how nice you've been to me on the forums if I'll help you out. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 174 days between these two posts...

eshroom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:20 - 02 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this from Gatwick Airport, has anyone parked there recently? Seems a bit unreasonable to charge us the same as a car but still tow us if we take a car bay instead of motorcycle...

https://s15.postimg.org/vzg6lwckr/image.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1