BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engine Oil

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Engine Oil Reply with quote

As you may know I am in the process of restoring my bike. After some engine oil but not sure what I should get.

It says in the (shit) manual that I should use AGIP 10w40 oil but everywhere I look that is for a 4 stroke engine. Well not, the AGIP but others are. On the silkolene website it says to use any of these for my model:

SILKOLENE PRO SRG 75W
: SILKOLENE COMP GEAR OIL 80W-90
: SILKOLENE BOA 80W-90
: SILKOLENE LIGHT GEAR OIL 75W-80

So that surely means 75-90w oil? What would be the best to use? Planning on going to J&S tomorrow to go and get this. And some coolant aswell. If not Silkolene's Pro Cool then what should I be looking at?

Thanks guys Thumbs Up
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah. The oil you put in the engine, think its gear oil? Just changed the clutch and I dont even know what oil it is Laughing

But seriously, its just 2 stroke oil in the reservoir to mix with the fuel and then gear/engine oil in the engine (sump?) right?

Thanks
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just 2 stroke and gear oil then?

Im after gear oil Cool Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:37 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The oil you put in the gearbox of a 2 stroke is often normal 4 stroke engine oil.

10W40 is a normal engine oil. The others you list are specific gearbox oils. The weights of engine and gearbox oils are not that same.

With gearbox oil there are other issues, as some additives used in some oils react with some materials used in some gearboxes. They will probably specify GL4 or GL5, but GL5 does not signify an improved oil over GL4 but instead a different oil. This tends to be an issue on cars with synchromesh on the gears, but one to be aware of anyway.

All the best

Keith

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do I buy Confused Sad

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got confused myelf when I had an RS125.

Engine oil is often known as 2stroke oil I think

Gearbox oil is 10 x 40 for the RS

To tell you the truth, I am still kinda lost on it

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sendaman wrote:
So what do I buy Confused Sad

What the manual tells you to buy

https://www.motoworlduk.co.uk/products/transmissionbike/gear10w40.html

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 10w40 then? Does it matter if it says four stroke on it? Confused

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
just get 10w40 and stop your moanin! Razz

its all the same

No it isnt. Gearbox oils are designed to work under much higher pressures than engine oils. Also the derbi has a wet clutch which could be affected by using engine oil.

Quote:
So 10w40 then? Does it matter if it says four stroke on it?

Aslong as its 10w40 gearbox oil it will be fine.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:

Thankyou!

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except 10W-40 is an engine oil viscosity classification and so you'll struggle to find a dedicated gear oil with 10W-40 on it. IIRC 80W-90 is the nearest equivalent gear oil viscosity.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:

No it isnt. Gearbox oils are designed to work under much higher pressures than engine oils. Also the derbi has a wet clutch which could be affected by using engine oil.

Quote:

Tis pretty much the same stuff...

Never had a problem using engine oil in the gearboxes of any of my strokers...

APT Motorcycles

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get some 80-90w gearbox oil.
Job done.
Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:35 - 22 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Normal, 10w-40 engine oil in the gearbox is pretty standard on many (most?) modern 2-strokes.

It's what lubricates the clutch and gearbox in 4-strokes too, these bits aren't significantly different between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke. If anything, a 4-stroke is much harder on the oil because it's mashing it up through the engine too. It lasts much longer on a 2-stroke.

Last time I was in halfords, their semi-synthetic motorcycle 10W40 oil was on offer. Cheaper than the car stuff as it happens. This would be entirely appropriate, there is no need to blow your wad on super-special marketing gimmick oil for this application. Save that for your 2-stroke oil.

Any 10w-40 engine oil you can buy will be good enough. Just avoid car ones that contain lots of additives like GTX magnatec, these can cause clutch slip. Normal castrol GTX is fine too if you can find the 10w-40 grade (getting less easy to find these days). I used castrol GTX in my motorcycle engines for years with no problems but it started getting pricey.

I have tescos own brand semi-synthetic in my VFR at the moment.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 07:39 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
rob yarrr wrote:
just get 10w40 and stop your moanin! Razz

its all the same

Quote:

Yanno, if ya don't know WTF you are talking about, it's best to just keep quiet... Wink

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 07:40 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
Just get some 80-90w gearbox oil.
Job done.
Thumbs Up

Do NOT do this... Rolling Eyes

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
Why not?

1. It is not the recommended oil.
2. Gearbox oils are normally intended for cars and generally they have dry clutches. An oil that heavy in a wet clutch will give grief.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sendaman himself has said that 'SILKOLENE COMP GEAR OIL 80W-90' is one of the reccomended oils.

Usually packaged as EP 80-90 (which is what i should have said in my first post as that is what i meant - long day..)

So, in short, using EP80-90 wont do any harm, its designed for the purpose.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
Sendaman himself has said that 'SILKOLENE COMP GEAR OIL 80W-90' is one of the reccomended oils.

Usually packaged as EP 80-90 (which is what i should have said in my first post as that is what i meant - long day..)

So, in short, using EP80-90 wont do any harm, its designed for the purpose.

Yes but aren't engine oil for 2 strokes actually the 2T stuff etc... that mixes with the petrol.

and the oil for the gearbox is totally different but for the gear box.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:56 - 23 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:

Yes but aren't engine oil for 2 strokes actually the 2T stuff etc... that mixes with the petrol.

and the oil for the gearbox is totally different but for the gear box.

Oh gosh. This thread is making my head hurt. When that happens it is often followed by the voices... Please don't make the voices start... they say

Kill them! Kill them ALL!

Confused

Right time for some facts:

Arrow The weight measurement for four stroke engine oil and gear box oils are different. The generally reccomended gearbox oils (IIRC 80w-90) are equivalent to 10w40 four stroke engine oil

Arrow The gearbox oil in a two stroke engine has a very very easy life. There are no carbon deposits, and very little swarf and gunk contaminates it. It doesn't get exposed to super high temperatures, nor squeezed by the top end of the engine. It lasts a LONG time.

Arrow You could go into a motorcycle shop and buy something like 'silkolene light gear oil' which I think is 80w90 if you want, thats what I did cos I'm anal about these things. Or, you could go into Halfords or Hein Gericke and buy cheap four stroke motorcycle engine oil and it will do exactly the same job. Especially in a 50cc bike which is under very little stress.

Arrow At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you put 10w40 motorcycle engine oil in the bike, or 80w90 light gear oil, because they are nominally the same for the application you're using them for. As long as you don't put car engine oil with friction modifiers in them like Castrol GTX Magnatec, you'll be fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2