Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to make your own de-icer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

coolhands
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:07 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: How to make your own de-icer? Reply with quote

No I don't know - I'm asking Very Happy

Is there an easy way to make deicer that anyone knows about? Not just salt in water as chucking salt over your car / bike doesn't sound like a great idea. But is there easily available chemicals in B&Q or anywhere that could make de-icer cheaper than the ones you buy in shops?

Just interested really...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pour white spirit or your favourite bottles on it. Laughing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ehow.com/how_5943307_make-liquid-de_icer.html

bagger
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:16 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire Thumbs Up Very Happy

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also heard that using vinegar works, but never tried it personally so dont know.

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a binbag on my windscreen at night!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep an empty 6-pint plastic milk bottle in my van in winter and on frosty mornings just fill that up with hot tap water then pour it on the windows and mirrors. Instant de-icing and no broken windows yet and I've been doing it for probably 15 years.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I keep an empty 6-pint plastic milk bottle in my van in winter and on frosty mornings just fill that up with hot tap water then pour it on the windows and mirrors. Instant de-icing and no broken windows yet and I've been doing it for probably 15 years.

Mee too, I actually use the remainants of my morning tea, put enough for 2 cups then after its boiled fill it to the brim with cold water pour on and the ice melts. Have to jump in PDQ because it re-freezes pretty quick though.

Can't do this at work though tis the problem.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy cheapest tub of salt availible and put that in a saucepan of warm water Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukamon wrote:
buy cheapest tub of salt availible and put that in a saucepan of warm water Thumbs Up

enduro1 wrote:
Not just salt in water as chucking salt over your car / bike doesn't sound like a great idea.

coolhands
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:20 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting one (my italics)

Quote:
White Vinegar and Water
Mix 3 cups of white vinegar and 1 cup of lukewarm water in a pot. Stir the mixture with a spoon and use a funnel to fill a spray bottle with the solution. Spray the vinegar/water solution on to your car's windshield before you go to bed. The vinegar/water solution will keep ice from forming on your car's windshield overnight.

from here
https://www.ehow.com/way_5759054_homemade-windshield-deicer.html[/i]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:11 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Me too. Hot water does the trick. I've been doing it for the last ten years.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always advised against hot water (from a kettle say) because the sudden change in heat may just bring on some unwanted cracks on your window.

Maybe luke warm water would be okay, But.. I've gotta have the car on choke anyway, so I may aswel let the engine warm up and spend 10 minutes scraping the windows Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gone
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:29 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid at body heat should do the trick - just piss on the windscreen.

Seriously, I have far more ice and snow to deal with than anyone in the UK and have never seen a de-icing spray in use or for sale here. We just scrape the ice off, though it takes some effort at -25 and colder.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-icer is not very paint friendly and as soon as you use the wipers the screen will re-freeze, seen a few people using hot water and heard the 'thud' of the screen breaking because of it Laughing

Scraping is the way forwards Thumbs Up

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find that scraping the windows warms me up, so by the time I hop in (after leaving the engine on tick over) I'm as warm as the inside of the car. Thumbs Up

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrically heated windscreen works for me. I just sit there listening to the radio for a couple of mins and i'm good to go.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the hot tap on?

Seriously I never get why people use deicer sprays and scrapers.

Warm water takes a fraction of the time and effort and works several times better.

If your car is far from your house then fill up a 2.5L coke/evian/whatever bottle.

And don't believe that crap about warm water causing your window to explode.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap??

I've heard it happen several times, gotta admit it makes me chuckle every time (last time it was a big new merc) Laughing

Look up thermal shock, if there is a weak spot in a windscreen then a rapid temperature change will find it.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I actually find that scraping the windows warms me up, so by the time I hop in (after leaving the engine on tick over) I'm as warm as the inside of the car. Thumbs Up

Oh mate, but I gotta de-ice the inside of the blooming car too! Laughing

It's snowing inside my car Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:43 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
Crap??

I've heard it happen several times, gotta admit it makes me chuckle every time (last time it was a big new merc) Laughing

Look up thermal shock, if there is a weak spot in a windscreen then a rapid temperature change will find it.

So you actually have direct first-hand knowledge of someone who has cracked their windscreen by de-icing it using hot water?

You're the first person I've ever heard say so.

I'm very suprised a merc one would let go. They usually have heating elements in them anyway.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You're the first person I've ever heard say so.

I'm very suprised a merc one would let go. They usually have heating elements in them anyway.

Its always a friend of a friend, never direct experience of it happening.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is going to be a world of difference between boiling water from a kettle, and water from the hot tap.

I have broken drinking glasses by pouring boiling water in them, so know for a fact that small pieces of glass can break from it, and I wouldnt try that with something more valuable like a windscreen.

I'd be happy to pour on water from the hot tap though, although if that were a perfect solution, you would think the people of Finland who must have to de ice every day would be doing it too.

When I was out today, I saw someone washing their car in hand hot warm water, and no cracked windscreen so I think hand hot is ok.

Maybe I need to experiment with boiling water on the windscreen of a car of a neighbour I dont like...

Although if I were to post pics to bcf to document the results, it would be a bit incriminating.

Last edited by colin1 on 23:17 - 28 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 28 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My merc's not got a heated screen, i was surprised as it's get everything else.

Never seen a screen go but when working as a patrol picked up a few cars with screens gone due to having hot water poured on them.
Does definately happen, not just 'mate down the pub'
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky

Gone
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:33 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

I'd be happy to pour on water from the hot tap though, although if that were a perfect solution, you would think the people of Finland who must have to de ice every day would be doing it too.

Thumbs Up We don't, because it just creates more ice, a car is a big heavy thing (too early to have a vocabulary!) and at -18 (same temp as the average domestic freezer) as it is this morning, you'd need a LOT of water to clear the screen and heat it enough to prevent the water re-freezing within seconds. I am about to go and plug in the sump heater, then when I go to work in half an hour or so, I'll scrape the windows while the engine heats up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2